Poll for cat owners who use scoopable litter

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Every time I'm aware of a deposit

1 vote(s)
  2. Every time I'm aware of a solid deposit

1 vote(s)
  3. Once a day or so

7 vote(s)
  4. Once every couple of days or so

8 vote(s)
  5. When the houseplants start wilting

3 vote(s)
  6. Only when I notice carrots in the box

1 vote(s)
  1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    How often do you scoop?
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    My cats haven't had litter trays since they were, well, weeks old! So I can't remember how often they used to get scooped/changed/whatever.

Are your cats still very young? Or do you just keep 'em indoors?

Cuz if you let 'em outside, they'll do it out there, and they'll even bury it (unlike dogs). No hassle, no smelly litter tray!
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Plus they'll bury it all over your neighbors property, spray/urinate on all the cars, houses, trees, etc in a mile radius of your place. Nevermind the worms and parasites and such it'll pickup from the local vermin it'll snack on.... how about deadly contagous deseases that it can catch (Fiv, Feline Aids, Feline Lukemia, etc) and physical injury from cars, dogs, children (yes children), other vermin hunters, etc.

keep YOUR pet in YOUR house and scoop the box every day or so. :rolleyes:

it'll live longer, safer and happier.

plus Titan says the buckets make a cool bed for afternoon napping
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well my cats are nearly 13 years old, then they're in perfect health, they've been allowed outdoors all their life.

And, happier? I really don't think cats like to be locked up indoors all day. They like roaming around outside, chasing small animals, etc. And during the warm weather they love to sleep outside on the lawn.

Also "your pet"? We're talking a living breathing animal here, it doesn't belong to anyone, any more than you belong to your parents.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    First off, I feel how I feel about this and won't be convinced otherwise. I'm a certified master groomer and have lived and worked with 'pets' my whole life. I've done it all from cleaning kennels to assisting in surgery. How you raise yours is up to you. I'm just spewing my opinion.

heh... my neighbor swears it ain't his cute little kitten that I watch spraying my car and house on its way back from following his kids to the bus stop either.

good for them! May they live long health happy lives!

Sure take a 13 year old out door cat and lock it in a one bedroom flat and it'll do whatever it can to spite it's owner from bordom. Raise it inside and it loves it.

That is a very irresponsible statement as a pet 'owner' you 'own' and are 'responsible' for a "DOMESTIC CAT". And I 'belonged' to my folks till I turned 18.
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Aaah responsibility and ownership are different things though. Your parents never owned you, they were just responsible for you.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I wish I could let the cat out. But they get in fights, (fixed or not) and invariably get FLEAS. I don't want to have to flea BOMB the house again.
    It's such a monster hassle.
    (And I don't mean to throw out any RHCP recordings.
  8. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    When it's full of cat turds.

Anywhere from a week to a month, but normally they're droppin' the stink outside so it's a slow fill.
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Ack, this is getting too technical.

We have 2 cats and three litter boxes. I'll usually clean them out once a day at least, either in the morning or at night.

Both cats were raised as indoor cats. They're cool with it.
  10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    2 Cats, indoor only variety, one box (covered), scoop every other day on average.

I'm with the "no fleas, fights, cars, p!$$ed off neighbors" crowd, #1 kitten is now 16 and running strong, #2 is 13 and just as healthy & happy. I attribute their age and health primarily to not running around the neighborhood.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Three cats, all indoors. I should clean the boxes daily, but sometimes I don't.
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my cat has been inside for 2 out of his 3 years of life. even though he was fr0M tH4 str33tz before i got him, he's cool with being inside. but i normally go a week or more without changing the box. he has his own room and he doesn't seem to mind if it's kinda full, plus it doesn't permeate the rest of the house.
  13. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    My two cats are indoors only...They would be allowed to roam, only my stepmom just HAD to get them declawed so they wouldn't hurt her furniture. :mad:

I scoop every other day. It would be every day, but my litterbox is downstairs where I don't have to smell it.