Poll for the lefties

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canopener, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Look for premade left handed basses (new or used)

21 vote(s)
  2. Flip the strings on a righty

1 vote(s)
  3. Flip the strings and the pups on a righty

0 vote(s)
  4. Build your own/have one custom made

6 vote(s)
  1. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Finding decent left handed basses may be the most difficult commodity to come across as far as those that are left/right specific. What do all of you southpaws do to get your basses?
  2. None of the above. When I was learning guitar and bass there was no such animal as a lefty instrument. At least not where I live. Consequently, I forced myself to play righty. Now, I cant play a lefty to save myself, it feels un-natural.
  3. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Same here. Although lefty instruments were available where I lived, the first stringed instrument I had was a beat up acoustic guitar a neighbor gave to us. It was a right handed instrument and I made the logical argument to myself that fingering the notes would be more difficult than strumming the guitar so I thought it would be to my advantage to play right handed.
  4. I buy left handed basses which is a pain in the a*se really.

But I understand the reason why and it's something I have to live with as I chose to play left handed because it felt more natural. I'd rather have to put up with having a hard time looking for a bass than forcing myself to do something un-natural. :)
  5. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I played the sax through junior high school, which I suppose you could argue is a right handed instrument, after I stopped playing the sax, my father sold it and bought a righty Stratocaster, since he plays guitar. He showed me a few things, and I played it every now and again, but never wanted to learn how to play. Last fall, I decided I wanted to learn bass, so naturally I opted to buy a lefty. It felt awkward at first, but got used to it.
    I tried to strum on my friend's lefty guitar and couldn't do it. So, if I do ever learn how to play guitar, I'd probably do it righty, but play the lefty bass. And maybe, I'll be good enought to play both at the same time...

:eek: :D
  6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Ditto again. I consider it an advantage.
  8. Same here. I'm a lefty, but I play righty. End of problem. :bassist:
  9. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    Add me to the ranks of lefties who play right handed. It seems to me it takes more coordination and dexterity to finger notes and chords than it does to pluck or pick.
  10. HighestGround

May 10, 2003
    I'm a righty but I play lefty, exactly for the same reasons you lefty's play righty, it sucks.... when considering a left handed bass to buy, I'd do my all to play it first, just get the feel of it, even if its the wrong fretboard or electronics and if I liked it, I'd buy it, simple. However if you like near Southpaw Guitars or Bass Central, consider yourself lucky...

11. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    it took me almost two years to find something like my bass (a used lefty Warwick, a little worn btw), but once i found it I felt lucky but at the same time angry at the hassle it was to find and then buy the damn bass. I try every once in a while to play right handed but it feels unnatural, really weird, and my hands feel weak (right) or slow (left). But then again I go back and play a lefty one and it feels just right.
  12. LouisB

LouisB Guest

Aug 23, 2003
    Guernsey, UK
    same here
  13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I first picked up a right-handed guitar, but it felt so unnatural for me that I could only play it upside down. When playing it lefty, it felt perfectly right, but I could never get used to playing righty.
    All my basses are lefty and I couldnt find any used, so I had to buy them (or order them) new. Here, its even more of a rarity to find a lefty bass in a store - and never seen one used...
  14. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    i am lefty, i write with my left but thats the only thing i do with my left. i picked up a right handed bass and it felt natural. i suppose im ambidextrous in a way but i can play a left bass to save my life
  15. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I play bass lefty. I am a lefty. I play trumpet righty. I shoot righty. I golf righty. I eat lefty. I kick righty. I dribble the basketball righty, yet shoot lefty.

I don't have a choice but to play lefty. I may have a bone defect that prevents my left hand from turning all the way (I can't fret a righty - you have to see I to believe it). having said this, when I hear people talk trash about lefties, I just sit back and wonder how long it will take them to get their GED or how many Ampeg "wife-beater" shirts they own. :D some people just can't play a certain way. also, what really cracks me up is when I hear people talk about, "there's no lefty trumpets, saxes, pianos, etc., why don't you just play NORMAL" - I think to myself, WOW - maybe you should get out from under yo momma's old Sears lingerie catalogs, wash your hands and WAKE UP! :eek:

a lefty's world is trash. what bummed me the most is the lack of "lefty" desks in college. try writing on those dam righty desks - talk about getting writer's fatigue. I come from an immediate family that 3/5 of us are lefties - we are all disgruntled.

one point that was made on another post is that lefty's just may have the upper hand (or lefty hand :smug: ). if you are lefty and you play righty, your left hand is most likely a lil' more dominant than the other, so you just may have more strength, speed, etc. for your fretting. I really don't know. all I know is that my trumpet playing over the years has really given me a little upper hand ( or in this case, a righty hand :smug: ) because I fret with my right hand and I depress the valves on trumpet with the right hand therefore I haven't really needed to work that hard on my right hand.

well my rant is over with.

for those of you that continue to dog us lefties, until you can play like jimi hendrix, jimmy haslip, sir paul, etc., think twice about what ya say.

peace ;)
  16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a couple of Schaefer fountain pens I don't need any more...

I didn't know Sears made Lingerie for 'Lefty's'
    where is that in the catalog?

I thought that would have been like a 'Victoria's Secret kind of thong ...

Uuuhhh, which hand do you prefer for, shall we say, self-flagellation? Right or left?

17. I am very much right handed..I play right handed basses and do everything right handed... but that said my left hand is MUCH faster at finger tapping (like on a desk or whatever) so right handed bass playing suits me fine. No disadvantages due to the stronger hand being on the bridge side.
  18. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Weird topic. I always see left handed basses for sale online. I don't know if I ever see cheap lefty basses tho, so I can see somewhat of a problem. As far as playing left or right, I'm a righty and that is what feels good to me. I wouldnt be any better at fingering notes with my right hand on a lefty, than I am fingering notes with my left on on my righty. It would be worse I'm sure. However, I played hockey left handed but I had a harder slapshot when I would just shoot the puck righthanded (when I would try and play righthanded at practice.)

I dunno, buy a lefthanded MusicMan ;)
  19. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Born a Lefty.
    I learned right-handed from the get-go.
    Problem solved.
  20. At the end of day all that matters is that you are comfortable.