Poll: Genz Benz GBE 600 Vs. Aguliar AG500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman08, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Genz Benz GBE 600

5 vote(s)
  2. Aguilar AG500

9 vote(s)
  1. bassman08

Jan 26, 2005
    I've heard the Genz and really like it. Haven't heard this particular Aggie, but I like the tone of other products they have. I know the Genz has both a tube and SS pre, but I've read a lot of posts that say this Aggie is really warm for a SS.

Looking for the one that has the most volume and girth/robustness/punchiness to its sound while still maintaining super clarity and other tonal shaping capabilities.

I'm sure there are other differences to consider - would like as much additional comments and feedback on your vote as well.

Thanks everyone.
  2. The AG500 is extremely robust sounding compared most solid state amps. It's punchy and clear in my experience with it, and if you get the dual channel version, you'll get what I consider to be one the best bass overdrives available today.
  3. I agree with everything said about the Aguilar. The overdrive channel is very nice if you're into that sort of thing. It's got great tone for almost any kind of music.

The Genz is a nice amp too. I probably have more playing experience with the Genz. It's got a nice sound, but there's just something special about Aguilar. Whatever you do, make sure you play before you buy.
  4. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I've got a Genz-Benz GBE600.

When you ask for, "volume and girth/robustness/punchiness ... super clarity ... other tonal shaping capabilities."

That describues the GBE600 a lot, in my mind.

The Genz-Benz is definately punchy with clarity. It can get girth and robustness with little EQ adjustments. And it's got tonal shaping capabilities out the whazoo. It's definately loud. How loud, I'm not sure yet. I'm yet to get it past nine o' clock at eight ohms with only a 2x10. The guy I bought it from said he couldn't ever crank it past four, and he was used to 200 watt tube monsters with huge cabs.

Clarity with punch, the GBE has this in spades.

Girth and robustness are there, and very easy to EQ in or out depending on how much you like there.

The tonal shaping capabilities are unreal. I used to have a GK and thought that was versatile, but it couldn't touch the GBE even if I used only the High Mids and Treble of the Genz-Benz. With the blendable FET and TUBE pre-amps, it's easy to dial in how much tube warmth you want to mix in with as little or as much FET snap as you want. The 5-Band EQ is unmatched in my experience. When I first plugged in, I felt I had too much treble and not enough low and mid presence. So I turn down the treble a few notches, the high mids just a couple, and the low mids up three. Boom! Perfect. Playing around with the EQ has let me realise how much I can shape my tone, rather than giving an understanding of what to do. It's very easy to grasp, and is hard to describe with words how good it is. It also has three variable tone shaping filters: L.F. Extend, which increases the deep bass, which will go from a lot of low-end rumble to just enough to feel it that tad bit more; Mid Scoop, which I actually have found a use for (I hate scooping mids), it's very musical sounding and great at lower levels; and H.F. Attack, which adds just what it says - "Attack," it doesn't add treble, it adds the "smack you in your face" kind of snap to slapping especially.

I'm taking it on its first gig later today, but am only using the D.I. out.
  5. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Aggie all the way. You can find one of my clips under "devil doom distortion". The clean recording is the aggie only. The other one has a voodoo labs od with it.
  6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The GB has more tone shaping abilities. It is a very versatile good sounding amp. On the other hand, I chose the AG500SC because it didn't have as many controls and had the sounds I was looking for with minimal adjustments.

I have come to the conclusion thru trial and error over many yeears that you really don't make drastic changes in your tone if you are happy with the sound of the amp. Even in rooms that are extreme you don't make drastic changes.

I would also recommend listening to the amp with the cab you intend to use with it which can really make a big difference in your decision