1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

POLL: Genz Benz GBE1200 Head vs GB ShuttleMax 12.0 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DAcat, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Genz Benz GBE 1200 Amplifier Head

59 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Genz Benz ShuttleMax 12.0 Amplifier Head

58 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I'm in the process of revamping my rig ...I've all ready sold off the hi-powered Pre/Power Amp half of my rig, and while looking at switching to an all-tube head, I ran into a Genz Benz GBE 1200 that I'm really digging. I'm hearing some great things about the tone of the GB Shuttlemax 12.0 as well(though I personally have'nt tried one out yet). Also...and I've got to blame the good folks at Genz Benz for this... now after much research, I'm considering trying out a Genz Benz Uber 410 cab as well, since I've so read and heard so many good things about the GB Uber cabs that I can't resist. Then I may have to totally revamp the speaker side of my rig if its true that the Uber is that good.(I'm really not affilliated with GB in any way)
    But My Question to Y'all is...if weight were no issue, and you were only interested in tone, volume, flexibility, etc (personally-these things are waaayyy more important to me than the weight of a head...carrying a 40 something pound head helps me stay in shape :hyper:)...Which would YOU pick...the Genz Benz GBE1200, or the Genz Benz ShuttleMax12.0, to power your cabs. Peace...DAcat :cool:

2. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa/Boogie
    Subscribed!:D

3. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    I was wondering about this too, or the GBE 750, as it shares a price point with the max 12...

MB

4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    this is a must see for me. As the product mgr., I have to decide what stays in the line and what goes. And of course, we always wonder how much new product will hit into the sales of existing product.

I for one, think there will always be a future for "traditional" linear power supply amps. But I've been wrong before. :oops:

5. ReBass

ReBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    As the proud owner of a GBE1200, my vote is for the 40 pounder, despite the weight penalty. I absolutely love the tone. Very flexible and loud as heck! I also like the fact that the GBE pushes 1000 watts into a 4 ohm cab, while the Max only pushes 600W into a single cab.

Of course, I haven't played the Max yet, so my vote isn't an entirely educated one!

6. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    I recently purchased a Genz Benz GBE1200 and love it. Our band has not started gigging yet, so I have only had to carry the head once (its also mounted with a tuner and power conditioner). I do not know too much about the new GBE head, but I guess I am old school and associate weight with quality (I sell industrial batteries).

I think that if the new GBE gets good reviews after being out in the field for a bit, I will probably get one.

:bassist:

7. That's a pretty easy one for me.

If you are going to use only one large cab and/or don't care much about weight, it would be the 1200 (heavy, but you can bridge).

If, on the other hand, you are going to mostly use two cabs (small or large) and/or are sensitive to weight, it would be the Shuttle 12.

If, finally, you are sensitive to weight, and are going to always use a single large 4ohm cab or two smaller 8ohm cabs, it would be the Shuttle 6 Max or 6 regular.

I go through this thought process all the time when deciding on heads and cabs!

IMO!

8. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    The Amps:
    If weight is not a factor, it IMO really comes down to the EQ points of the amps. Can you live with the fixed points of the 5 band EQ of the GBE line? Do you have to have the sweepable mids of the Max series and is a 4 band EQ enough for you? (also keep in mind if you do not need dual 4ohm capability or dual pre's their is always the regular shuttle series or the Neo 3.5)

The Cabs:
    Uber 410=monster, but don't forget the Uber 212. Voicing too old school for ya? Then maybe look at the NeoX line of cabs for a little more hi-fi feel.

Conclusion: Lots of options none of which are "bad". It really comes down to what you need/want that works for you.

9. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've tried both, and I own a shuttle 6.0. I would choose the GBE 1200. One of the biggest dissapointments to me was the inability to bridge the Shuttle 12. I like the dual channel option like the GBE, but one of the reasons I was interested in the 12 was the hope of having a lightweight 1200 weight amp. There has to be some compromises...

I personally think the GBE is a little warmer sounding than 12

11. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    This suprises me :eek: .... yet pleases me(since I have a GBE). Its 8 for GBE and 7 for ShuttleMax as of right now...I'd rather not sell anything again...but I won't till I get a chance to try it out with my new Uber Cab thats coming soon....we'll see what tomorrow brings..Peace...DAcat

12. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I have owned, gigged, and loved my GBE 1200 for 3 years and I owned a Shuttle 6.0 for about 8 months. Assuming the Max is voiced similar to the Shuttle 6.0 (I have not tried the Max on my own) I would choose the GBE 1200. The Shuttle 6.0 was a bit darker than the 1200 and that didn't work for me. The 5-band EQ of the 1200 works perfectly for me and I do not feel that the sami-parametric would be a huge improvement, just a different type of good. I also like having 1000 watts of headroom to put into one 4-ohm cab (say, an 810). Wouldn't mind it being lighter, but it's not a big deal.

There are definitely sweet features about the Max that I like (dual power supplies, high gain, dual semi-parametric mids), but since I already own a 1200 I don't feel the need to get a Max. If I did not already own one it might be a slightly different story, but I have a feeling that the GBE 1200 would still win.

13. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I love the 1200, but for what I do, the music I play, and the venues I find myself in... the Max 12 is a perfect design and perfect fit for my needs.

14. 1200- one of the best sounding heads I've heard in a long time.
    Haven't heard the 12.0 yet, but if it sounds like my 6.0, then it's gonna sound great as well!

15. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    The "dual 4 ohm capability" seems to me like an answer to a question I never really would have even thought of asking. From a manufacturing standpoint, I'm sure it's the most logical way for the GB engineers to get more power out the the shuttle architecture that already existed with the 6.0. I'll take a head with 2 ohm capability any day.

A 40 lb head is still a breeze to carry compared to even the lightest bulky cabinet, and most small cabinets sound like crap anyway. GBE1200 for me.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I don't. Even wall warts are switching to switching.

Also, I can bet you'll see more powered speakers with SMPS (At least in FOH). Many of the expensive safety features can be bypassed in a totally enclosed system. The isolation can be done at the input signal level at a much lower cost.

17. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    +1 subscribed.

18. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I was lucky enough to get a long demo of both the above mentioned @ NAMM in January. The two heads sound similar - the GB is warmer and has a slightly more tube like character to it. For the unreal weight difference though, I like the 12. Those Uber cabs are insane - the 212 is a chest pounder & has a huge depth to it. I listened to the Uber 410 & 212 stacked & unplugged them to hear the cabs individually. They are perfect paired together & both cover the sound spectrum a little differently. I was REALLY hoping that they would have an Uber 210, but they were not able to bring one.

19. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Hey, if your getting a new cab DAcat, I'd more than happy to take that Ear Candy cab of your hands.

20. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Since weight isn't an issue, get the GBE1200. You'll have extra oomph and headroom over the 12.0.

I have the 750 and love it. But, as soon as I get paid for a recording gig, I'm planning on selling the 750 and getting a max 12.0. The weight and size are significant factors for me, and with one 4 ohm cab right now, I'm seeing the same power with my 750 as I would with the 12.0, and if I get another 4 ohm cab, the 12.0 will be pushing more watts than my 750.

So hasbeen, I could see the max 12.0 taking the place of the GBE750, since the power ratings are so similar, but I agree with you that there's still a place for big honkers like the 1200.