Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: GT-6B vs Line 6 Bass POD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Coleman, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Boss GT-6B

26 vote(s)
    60.5%
  2. Line 6 Bass POD

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. Other Pro Bass Effect

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    which better?
    why?

2. I have had my fair share of the bass pod. Do not get it. The Boss GT-6B is probably way better than the bass pod. With the bass pod it is impossible to get the sound you want without the noise level getting to the point where it sounds like you're playing but you're not because the pod messes up the signal so much. The ease of use absolutely sucks and you have to mess with it way to much for way to long, if you even figure out how to use all of the different hidden things. I had to press down on the buttons really hard for it to work and you can have the bass, mid, and treble controls set anywhere and it pretty much sounds the same. Pluse the modeling stuff on the pod sucks and the theory behind the amp and cab and fx modeling may sound good, but it just really doesn't work. Plus for some of the fx you have to hit the string super hard in order for the effect to even work, or go into the signal.

I knew how to use everything on it so I am not one of those stupid people who says something sucks, but they didn't even know how to properly use it. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any more questions about it.:D

3. You may want to look into a digitech bp-8. It kicks butt!

4. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    The Pod isn't very good for effects. You can only adjust one parameter on each effect and the thing is virtually useless in a live situation unless you buy the floor board. The tracking on the octaver and synth isnt very good either.

5. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    the bass pod is an amp modeller, not an effects unit. it has some effects on it, but they are very limited in their use...

jdkh

6. Yeh, the tracking isn't any good at all on those fx. You can't really control the perameters of the fx, only the drive level, and again the modeling stuff just sucks. The pod does have like 16 different fx on it, some do work good, but most aren't even worth it at all. The gate really doesn't work either. Especially when using distortion. It would be much better to perhaps add a better preamp or a new head all together if you would really want to. If you're looking for fx get the GT-6B if you have the $400 to get it. The Digitech BNX3 for bass is now at that same price and has an 8 track recorder in it. Looks promising.

7. i love my POD but i have to agree i don't really use it for the effects. for live sound gigs (if i'm bringing the full setup that is) i find it compliments my setup well and gives a nice mix to the house. mostly what i use it for is those random little recording projects i do with homies. nice to just bring a small rack and plug right in, plenty of sounds to work with. i don't use effects very much, but it's always nice to have the toys.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i wouldn't leave home without my gt-6b

9. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    GT-6B. My friend had the GT3 or something for guitar and got some really nice distortion and stuff out of it. Completely customizable effects and stuff. It's basically all Boss petals put together, along with some nice extra stuff. The POD... eh, it's fun to play with at Guitar Center. But, being that you have to buy a separate foot processor thing, and that it doesn't let you combine FX and change FX levels (at least to my knowledge), I'd go for the GT6B.

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Of the choices you had there I'd go with the GT-6B. I had a Bass POD Pro for a while, thinkning it would be good enough for effects and gave me the amp/cab emulator stuff as a bonus. The effects it gave me weren't what I was looking for - and didn't have the degree of control over them that I'd like!
    I traded mine back in for a GT-6B and some other stuff!

For multi effects the GT-6B is way better. The effects have more control, and you get a degree of amp/cab emulation here with Boss COSM technology.

However, I have just sold my GT-6B! ALthough it is a really good unit ,and very robust (it has a metal casing!), I found I just wasn't using all it could give me. I really don't use the amp/cab emulation!

So, it's off to some other caring home, and I'm busy collecting the individual stomp boxes that I'll actually make use of! Pick myself up one of those new Boss BCB-60 cases and then I'll start to make use of effects that I want!

:)

11. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    GT6B vs BassPOD, GT6B by far.

GT6B vs BassPODxt, BassPODxt by far.

12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I own a boss GT6B, and would'nt trade it for the world! There is so much you can do with this thing it's crazy! It takes some time to get to know what it does. If you've never tried one, I recommend you do so and see for yourself!

Joe rates this with a two thumbs up!! :D

13. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    To rygelxvi and others =
    Has anyone ever tried and compared
    the POD XT ( the new one !!) and GT-6B
    I got GT-6B - i LOVE IT BUT
    it is DAMN TOUGH for me to carry it to pubs +
    i am also the lead singer (Like Sting)
    so i dont change my sound for every song.
    I just wanna know if the POD xt's BIG WAH
    and OCtaver are as good as BOSS GT-6B's wah and octaver ???
    Is POD xt good for goin direct to PA system
    on stage ? Would i get good results with my MARCUS MÝLLER JAZZ BASS ? Swamp Ash body...
    active/passive switch...

14. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    If you want effects, you should go with the GT-6B.

15. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    If you are only going for effects look in to the Boss ME-50B, which is coming out in a few weeks. It only has effects and doesn't have any menu's to go through to mess with.

16. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    In the 6B's price range, I owned some...

1) The Digitech BP8 which I hated because of the muting it produced when switching from patch to patch. The Digitech BNXs all of them, although one is much more expensive than the GT-6B, have the same problem. I traded it for an old cheap Boss ME-8B (much better effects and no delay in patch changes). DISMISSED!!!!

2) The DOD BassPOD is a poor overpriced piece of crap. No flexibility at all. I supose a myth has been growing amongst us musicians, because for me it sounds absolutely ugly. And if you really need to use it you have to have the pedalboard and there's when you get to spend twice the price of a 6B. Modeling capabilities: not much really. BassPODxt is way off this price range and it still sucks compared to the GT-6B. I had my BassPOD for less than a month. DISMISSED!!!!

3) I have a GT-6B now, for real multieffects processing and real modeling. I love it. It's totally flexible and, have you ever noticed the amazing pedal control posibilities? Things could be even better if they put the same Synth and T-Wah the ME-8B had (way better than the ones in the GT-6B). Those are the only effects I miss from the ME-8B. And 6 seconds is nice, but not enough for sampling. What about a SmartMedia slot?

I had some cheaper ones too...

1) The Zoom BFX-708. had the same "mute delay" problem when switching patches. I used batteries so I didn't notice extreme hums others had. Good for daily work on smal gigs.

2) The Zoom 708II (the newer version of 1) is way better. It can have a SmartMedia card for expanding sampling capabilities. Mine can record up to 32 minutes (I put a 128MB SmartMedia card). They also solved the "mute delay" problem. I still have it for sampling and small gigs.

3) The old Korg A4 Bass had definitely the nicest compressor, eq and analog chorus/flanger I had.

I used all of them with an Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray5 or a Fernandes Gravity, through a Hartke 3500 head with one 4.5XL and 215BXL Hartke cabs. I'm sick of listening to everybody talk about modelling. Modelling has never been a subject for me. If you have a decent sounding bass and a decent sounding amp, what modelling do you need? OK, not for live but for recording. But... I have allways recorded directly from my bass through a direct box and into ProTools, so then again, what modelling do we need for recording? I think that's the second myth. How in the world could Geddy Lee/Chris Squire/Rob Trujillo/John Entwistle/Flea survive all these years withot modelling? I don't know. Maybe it was the absence of modelling that ended up killing poor beloved John Entwistle.

The fact is that the less recomendable of them all is definitely the BassPOD. In one word, OVERPRICED!!!!

ANDRUCA