Poll: Hartke 7000 or Ampeg B4R?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazyphil, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Hartke 7000

16 vote(s)
  2. Ampeg B4R

31 vote(s)
  1. Which one should I get?
  2. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Even though I have a Hartke (5000) I voted Ampeg. I picked up the Hartke used because it was considerably louider than the Ampeg B2R/B5R. But the Ampeg had better tone. The B4R should have enough power. I believe it may be a 3 space at about 40 lbs though. Certainly no SVT, but it does weigth in there. You could also consider an Ampeg preamp into a power amp.
  3. I was under the impression you could get any tone out of the Hartke with a little bit of fiddling.
  4. the ampeg beefwhore (B-4R) is a great amp.. i've been using it in bridge mono lately and it's MORE than enough beef.. go for it..
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois

Anyway, I guess it depends on if you like teh Ampeg sound or the Hartke sound. Either way you'll be getting a good LOUD amp.
  6. oops, dark humor.. sorry if i offended anyone.. ;)
  7. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    I am using a Hartke 4000 , you can get the sound you want from the Hartke but finding the settings will take some time . Once you zero in your sound it preforms very well. I would think it would take the same tinkering with the 7000. I chose the 4000 over the Ameg B2 - only because I found it easier to zero it in . Try A/B ing the Hartke and Ampeg , one may fill your needs more than the other. You can't go wrong with either
  8. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Are you kidding!!!
    I Loved it!!!
  9. hey cb56, i've had the amp for about a month now and i'm pretty happy with it. i run into a SansAmp BBDI before i go into the amp, and i think i've found the perfect tone. i purchased the Avatar 4x10 cab as well, and all the bandmates say it's 100% improvement from my former SWR/Nemesis rig. i'm gonna have my tech buddy build me a footswitch so i can at least try using the EQ as a separate channel or boost i guess. it sounds great with the EQ on or off, i like 'em both so i might have to try the footswitch.

crazyphil, if you think you are gonna need options like bi-amping, or running one cab for lows and another for full range, i'd jump on the Ampeg. there is enough options to fit just about any stage setting you can encounter (well, not an arena, duh). the headroom you'll find in the Ampeg is more than substantial.
  10. I've owned a 7000 for about 8 years, and after one minor repair (it was used when purchased), it served me well for the next several years (well, there was that other problem with one side of the DPST power switch burning out). I replaced it with a used Eden WT-800 as my main unit, but the Hartke remains my backup. Its biggest drawback to me, is that you cannot bridge the power amp outputs (on this model or the 5000). I've made some inquiries to qualified tech personnel and they say that it could be done, but there's the issue of cost. Bridging would make it much more flexible, and does anyone still attempt to bi-amp any longer? But anyway, I also own a Harke 1155 combo, which contains a 3500 head, which works fine as well. If you're into used gear (you should be) there's a lot of Hartke around, but I can't put the Ampeq stuff down; they've got the rep, for sure.
  11. I have the HA7000 I absolutely love this head. I Biamp it into a pair of Mesa Boogie 1-15 and a Genz benz 2-10. This setup absolutely kills. The 10s hit low and hard and puch you right in the stomach while the 2-10give the highs that the 2 15s cannot give. I can get many many tones out of my rig. I can get a very SVTish type of sound but with better lowend wich is the tone I use mostly. I got it for an incredible deal $100 new :) I have tried many amps since playing this and nothing does it for me lik the 7000. I want to try a Mesa 400+ sometime and try to try a 70s SVT cause those are all I can think of that may rub me the right way but I cannot biamp thoise So I doubt they will. The Biamp feature is a great feature IMHO.
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a 7000 that I got at a insanely low price....I use it for backup/jams/loan to friends etc. Very flexable and loud.....I also have a Ampeg SVT3 for the same reasons.......but the Ampeg sounds like a well......Ampeg....great for rock;)
  13. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I have had the 7000 and now own an ampeg setup and I can honestly say that there is no way you can get ampeg tone out of the 7000 it just aint gonna happen.

It wasnt untill after I got rid of the hartke that I realized how much I hated it. My ampeg setup is much beefier and thicker and well ampegish. Ya just gotta know what sound you want.
  14. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I've got an Ampeg B4R and think it's a killer head. I've been playing through an Eden 4-10 XLT, and it sounded awesome. But, I was in GC and played my head through an Ampeg SVT 4-10 HLF and was blown away by how much better this combo sounded. I sold my Eden cab and purchased the Ampeg cab immediately.

I think there is something to matching heads and cabs from the same company.
  15. I've got a Hartke 5000 and it has been reliable for me for almost 6 years. Tone is OK, tho I cannot discern much difference between the tube side and solid state preamp...Generally I don't use the EQ much.

My major complaint is the lack of bridge mode capability. Who wants to carry 2 cabs to get the full 500 watts out of the amp????

My solution was to take a 2x15 cab and put a different jack in for each speaker, so i can run one channel to one speaker and the other channel for the other speaker. Note the speakers must NOT be wired together internally if somewhat wants to do this themselves. (I put a second jack in parallel with the top speaker jack so if I have to run the cab with a single channel amp, I can just run a speaker cable from the paralleled jack into the second speaker.) Confused yet?:eek:
  16. Nashville Bill,

I'm doing almost exactly the same thing as you with my Hartke 7000 and an 8 ohm 4x10 cab. I rewired it so that I've got the upper pair of 10s and the tweeter being fed through the existing input jack, and put in another input for the lower pair, which gives me two 4 ohm loads. Works great! I've chatted with a technician or two about modifying the amp to be able to bridge its output, and it's possible, but labor intensive and thus, not cheap. But I would prefer that it was bridgeable because it would be that much more flexible.

17. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    eh, i can't really say i dig the ampeg tone, but i really love the contour controls on the hartkes. you can get some really cool sounds from those, but i usually don't like the slider type eq's...