1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poll: Have you changed your gear buying or selling habits as a result of Covid-19?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThinCrappyTone, Apr 6, 2020.

1. No change in music gear selling habits as a result of Covid

131 vote(s)
    40.3%
  2. No change in music gear buying habits as a result of Covid

108 vote(s)
    33.2%
  3. More selling - I have sold, or am attempting to sell more music gear than usual as a result of Covid

15 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. Less selling -I have sold, or attempted to sell less music gear than usual as a result of Covid

43 vote(s)
    13.2%
  5. More buying -I have bought more music gear than usual as a result of Covid

23 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Less buying - I am buying less music gear as a result of Covid-19

104 vote(s)
    32.0%
  7. More selling, maybe -I am anticipating having to sell off gear, but holding off as long as I can

14 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. More buying, maybe -I am anticipating buying more if prices drop significantly

20 vote(s)
    6.2%
  9. I have a Marshall half-stack shaped fridge full of carrots that will see me through these times

39 vote(s)
    12.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Like a lot of us, I am wondering how Covid will affect/is affecting the music gear market.

Part of me wonders if a lot of us musicians are sitting at home and actually spending more on music gear than before the plague. After all, many of us, self included, are an impractical lot, at times.

So that begs the question... on a personal level, how has Covid changed your music gear buying/selling habits, if at all? Are you selling off what you can, in anticipation of other needs? Are you stuck at home bored, thinking "the world is burning, so I might as well buy my dream bass"? Or something else?

jamro217 and JRA like this.
  2. MG Wolf

MG Wolf

Nov 29, 2014
    Due East
    Not buying anything and may start thinning the herd if finances dictate it.

Stay Safe Everyone :thumbsup:

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I started a thread sharing what's apparently my very unpopular opinion that right now is a bad time to spend money on any non essentials.

4. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I’m in that camp too

basslifter, J_Bass, detoxxx and 5 others like this.
  5. I wasn't buying or selling before, not buying or selling now, so no change.

Some folks just cannot stop, they're addicted to it!

Lovep, Wisebass, LYNCHMAN and 9 others like this.
  6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I've bought more recently

7. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I had plans to sell some gear to fund some new purchases, but that’s on hold now.

detoxxx and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Covid and quarantine have had no effect on my buying and selling. I bought one bass since quarantine began (SBMM Short Scale Stingray), and sold 2 (my Big Al :crying: and my Mustang PJ). The selling is unusual for me, but had nothing to do with what's going on now. Just a matter of timing.

Only thing that's getting to me is I'd LOVE to check out my new Stingray in a band or gig situation... don't think that's going to happen for a while.

lowplaces, JRA and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  9. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Before things got really shut down, I did list a bunch of household and music stuff. Kayak paddles to be picked up in the driveway and money left in the mailbox type deals.

I bought one bass on St. Patrick’s but things have shut down since then. Mainly it’s the failure of government and folks in general to really shelter and shut down that makes me think this will be a long stretch of uncertainty. I’m anxious to buy an Ibanez on reverb but don’t want to shell out money in uncertain times.

Timmy Liam and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Yeah.....haven't bought jack! Probably not gonna buy jack!! Can't afford to buy jack!

11. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've put a hold on all gear related transactions for the time being. Too much uncertainty. Seems like a bad time to be selling, and a bad time to be spending on non-necessities, at least in the context of my situation.

That said, if the bottom falls out for real and Sweetwater starts selling $300 pedals for $50, I will find the money somehow :)

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

"no change" for me, but that's only because i hadn't been selling for several months (audio stuff) anyway while i reassess my 'stuff'.

same boat: a new-ish P that only had one outing --- it's in need of some real gigging!

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  13. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Im not really using my gear right now so it's hard to justify buying any. I've bought some strings and random parts to tweak and dial in a few basses but that's it so far.

Most of my gear purchases are driven by "how will this be in the band mix?" so it's a non-starter for me given the current situation.

As for selling, I'm not hard-up just yet so no selling. Not much of a sellers market right now anyway and it probably won't be for a while so I won't sell unless I have to. Ymmv

14. Yes on buying because my overtime got cut. I'm in the oilfields of West Texas so along with the overwhelming coincidence of the oil prices tanking the same time virus hit gotta tighten up the purse strings

15. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    For me "no change" simply because I am not currently in the market for anything and don't need to sell anything. However, if my situation were different, my answers would change to "less buying" because my wife is unable to work right now and "selling only if absolutely necessary" because I'm trying to avoid doing things face to face.

ThinCrappyTone and 210superair like this.
  16. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Over the past couple years I've amassed enough pedals to make 3 boards out of. Kept telling myself that I'll put together two and sell off the excess, but so far I haven't sold jack, only traded. I'm still dead set on buying "just one or two more" to complete my fun board whether gigs are in the future or not.

Really, I can quit anytime :cautious::)oops: That's a lie)

Wisebass, TN WOODMAN, equill and 3 others like this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So far, no change in either buying or selling habits. I am really having to focus to keep from buying an unlined fretless right now though. So that may change.

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

No. Business as usual with me, although I’m pretty much just a buyer these days. Only difference is I don’t expect anyone, especially private sellers, to ship me anything quickly. If they want to take an order but hold off shipping until we have a better handle on this situation that’s fine by me. I don’t want anyone taking health risks or competing with more critical goods shipments for something as stupid as music gear.

Sergi, zubrycky, Wisebass and 2 others like this.
  19. Nanaki

Nanaki

Dec 13, 2016
    UK
    More gas as I have more time... but so far I've refrained :D

TN WOODMAN and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  20. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    Only bought if it was something I needed or was really interested in. I just bought a pedalboard because my old one was too small. I would be more interested in selling some gear than I was before though.

Wisebass and ThinCrappyTone like this.