1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

[POLL] Help me to decide the specs of my next ERB

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Triad, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Triad

Triad Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Luthier - Prometeus Guitars
    Heiya! :D
    I have a couple of basses under construction and I've just got the huge fingerboard for my ERB project... I'm still trying to decide the specs... so I wanted your thoughts :)
    I have to decide the number of strings (8, 9 or 10), the scale lenght and the presence or lack of frets. I love playing fretless these days. Don't know if I'll end up selling this beast once it's finished but I usually keep building stuff that I like in first person if I'm building to keep the axe "in stock".
    Take a look at the options and have fun! ;)

2. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Obviously, the specs depend on what your preferences are and what kind of music you'll be playing with it. Personally, for my next extended range build I plan on making every string higher than the D string fretted, while keeping the D, E, A, and B fretless. I've found that without incredibly accurate fingers playing way up the neck on fretless high strings is hard and chords are nigh impossible for me. Just something for you to mull over. :D

3. Triad

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Sure... chords are pretty hard to use on the higher range of a fretless... but to be truthful I don't make a large use of them.
    I like the voice of fretless on both higher and lower register but I also like slapping on a fretted... not an easy decision at all. I could build TWO! :D

4. I'd say go either 8 or 9, fretted (fanned optional) :D

5. Triad

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Well... I must say that fanned frets instruments are growing on me but I still prefer the look of the traditional fret layouts :D
    The idea of building TWO basses (one with and one without frets) makes much sense... at least at 00:18 of Sunday :bag:

6. Yup, I don't really like fanned frets to play. Very confusing the further up the board you go !!

One fretted and one fretless sounds like a great idea!!

7. Triad

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Yes... I could go for Padouk body on one and Ebiara (an orange colored wood, a sort of mix of Bubinga and Afzelia) on the other one... due to the neck dimensions I only have Wengé and Padouk for fingerboard...

Idea:

fretless: Wengé fingerboard on Zebrawood neck, Okoumé body.

fretted: Wengé neck and fingerboard, Padouk, Ebiara or Afzelia body

A 100% Wengé bass would be great but I fear it would be a bit "boring" for the eye (and pretty heavy too!).