1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

[POLL] Help me to decide the specs of my next ERB

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Triad, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Triad

Triad Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Luthier - Prometeus Guitars
    Heiya! :D
    I have a couple of basses under construction and I've just got the huge fingerboard for my ERB project... I'm still trying to decide the specs... so I wanted your thoughts :)
    I have to decide the number of strings (8, 9 or 10), the scale lenght, the strings spacing and the presence or lack of frets. I love playing fretless these days. Don't know if I'll end up selling this beast once it's finished but I usually keep building stuff that I like in first person if I'm building to keep the axe "in stock".
    This is a list of what I have available for necks: Zebrawood, Wengé, Padouk, Afzelia, Ovangkol, Cherry, Chestnut. For bodies: Wengé, Padouk, Ovangkol, Afzelia, Cherry, Okoumé, Olivewood (yes!), Zebrawood, Ebiara, Walnut, Maple... all of this in blanks or pieces wide about 6". :)

2. l337r3nn

l337r3nn

Jun 6, 2008
    this sounds like it ought to be a rather cool instrument. if i were you, i would do a wenge/ zebra neck with a padouk/ ovankgol body. if you end up working with padouk, put lots of pics, it is a somewhat difficult wood to work, in my experience!

3. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    1/4 to 1/2 in strips (or for you metric people... ,5 to 1,5 cm) and either bend them or do stripes... or cut into chunklets and piece the body together in a cool design

4. Triad

Triad Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Luthier - Prometeus Guitars
    Oh... I forgot to add that, in case of laminated neck, I'd put them in thickness and not in width :D
    I know, it's a pretty rare thing... but it makes much more sense to me that way. And it would look awesome once I begin using the spokeshaves :)
    Am I going to use Padouk? YEP!

Attached Files: