1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poll: how many days a week do you practice?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jt62, Jan 8, 2020.

1. 1-2

2. 3-4

3. 5-6

4. 7

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Like the title says! How many days a week do you practice?
    Let’s not over think this, but on average how many days a week do you practice?
    And I supposed to be clear an actual practice session where are you are either doing scales or trying to learn a song etc. not just sitting on the couch noodling while you watch a movie or what have you?

2. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    Depends on the week. I play in two bands, so minimum of three. depending on what the family has going on it could stay at three or go up to seven. Usually 4-5. I like, even on the off days to pick it up for a couple minutes, just to keep the fingers limber.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  3. Thum5b

Thum5b

Dec 24, 2019
    7, even if it's only half hour running scales (normally is a lot more time) I practice everyday, I can't remember the last time I didn't.

ec2bass, rickwebb, Dabndug and 5 others like this.
  4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    If rehearsals count as practice, make that 6 to 7 times a week. For me as a communter, the days I rehearse on are usually so long that I don't get to go home and practice beforehand. Usually work->dinner->rehearsal with no long breaks in between to pick up a bass even if I do carry it around with me on those days. The other days I try to commit to a practice routine that I may or may not break on the weekends depending on what I'm doing. Busy day -> no practice.

Busy days for me usually mean I get up early in the morning and don't return before midnight. That leaves little wiggle room for dedicated practice.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Seconded. Every day I make some time.

6. saeroner

saeroner Supporting Member

May 30, 2013
    Does looping count as practice? :)

7. No "0" option eh?

vvvmmm, HughC, hennessybass and 15 others like this.
  8. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Or 8?
    Hey, if it was good enough for this guy...

9. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    Mostly 7, but life sometimes happens to interfere. Sometimes I cheat on my bass with a strat or midi controller.

10. reverendboom

reverendboom

Dec 10, 2019
    Sonora CA
    I voted 3-4. I want to practice every day but it just doesn't happen. Plus I lead worship on acoustic every other week so that eats into practice time. However, I am blessed to work in an environment where I can keep my bass behind my desk and practice anytime I want (I'm pastor of a small church) so I get a fair amount of practice in.

Wanker_Joe and Oddly like this.
  11. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I only practice on the days I eat.

12. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Two hours a day, five days a week. Got to do it! There is a lot more challenging stuff on the set list than there used to be!

13. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Same with me. I've been at it every day for so long now that it's become an unstoppable habit - even if it's only a very short stint I still grab the bass each and every day. It's become so ingrained that I don't even really think about it anymore.

14. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    I recently discovered the joy of keeping a bass in my office at work. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner! There's nothing better to help pass the time when on a long boring conference call. I actually kind of look forward to those calls now. What a hoot!

31HZ likes this.
  15. Todd Hamby

Todd Hamby

May 17, 2017
    About two hours a day 6 days a week and four to five on the 7th day.

Old P Bass Guy and SteveHeissner like this.
  16. Got set lists on the laptop connected to speakers. Fire it up every night and play along. Don't need rehearsal other than soundcheck.

Zbass82 and jt62 like this.
  17. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    I play as often as I can, but I don't think you can call it practice.

18. tenor.gif

I'm trying REALLY hard to do better than talking about it.... :bag:
    Practice and exercise are the two things that would most improve my life.

19. I wouldn't exactly call it practice but I do play music pretty much every day.

210superair and vvvmmm like this.
  20. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Zero bass practice. If I'm not playing with others, I seldom pick up a bass.

If I feel like playing something, it's usually 90% keyboard, 10% guitar. If I just need a quick outlet, it's usually "Whiter Shade of Pale" on a Hammond. I find that somehow simultaneously relaxing and exhilarating.

Well, you asked.

arbiterusa and dalkowski like this.