Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: If You Could Have Only 1 Bass . . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RunngDog, Jan 12, 2005.

If You Could Only Own 1 Bass . . . ?

Poll closed Jan 19, 2005.
  1. Fretted 4

123 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. Fretted 5

126 vote(s)
    37.2%
  3. Fretted 6+

36 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. Fretless 4

13 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Fretless 5

14 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. Fretless 6+

13 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. Fanned Fret 5

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. Fanned Fret 6+

5 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. Fanned Fretless

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  10. Something Else Entirely

5 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Like lots of people here, I have a range of basses -- 4's & 5's, fretted & fretless, etc. In responding to another thread, I got to thinking: if I had to get rid of all but one of these, which one would I keep? Would my choice be based on versatility, or would I choose the bass I enjoy playing the most and work around any versatility issues? Would I choose something I currently own -- or is there something else that might be better in a "one-size-fits-all" world? Are brand and model more important than "fundamentals" (e.g., number of strings, frets, etc.)?

Curious how others feel about this question.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My fretless 6 string Benavente 51

nuthin' finer to my hands :bassist:

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky Vintage 5 string.

4. At this moment, I just couldn't live without my fretted Cirrus 5, so that's where my vote went.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    My fretless four, no question. The fretted's fun for chops stuff -- but I realized a long time ago that double thumbing isn't going to get me a gig ;). Anything else, I can do on my fretless.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I only gig with fretted fives anymore: "just right" for me.

7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    After having gone through 30 basses, I've settled in with a pair of fretted Lakland 55-94s (standard and classic).

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I don't play fretless (actually I happened to, but that's not my thing, musically speaking).
    Also, though I've been mostly a 4-stringer, I understand the usefulness of a low B. But for me (and for me only), other extra strings are useless.
    So I voted 5-string fretted.

Cheers,
    JL

9. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    G & L L-2000 Fretted

10. I'd have to go with a fretted 5 ( probably a Roscoe or Hanewinckel or Nordstrand or.... :rollno: ).

11. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    That is all I have. My fretted FBB 6 (#1065-02). My bass forever.

12. Seriously, that's a tough one. I'm actually thinking that having my butchered fretless Hohner/Steinberger (4 string w/detuner) could technically do everything I 'need' to do, & it would force me to think in a different direction. So, either that or my fretted 6 w/several bells & a couple of whistles...

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wow, fretted 5 is beating fretted 4. Thats pretty cool.

I voted for 4 string fretted.

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I would choose my Conklin 8 solidbody:

[​IMG]

Tone, versatility, playability

:)

15. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I voted for a 5 string fretted. I don't think I would ever want more that 5 strings and I could take the B string off if I ever got tired of playing a 5er and just play it like a 4. I would never do that but this is a poll about if you could only have one bass.

16. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    A fretted 5 would be more "useful," but I voted for the fretted 4. For about %95 of the songs I know of, I can use (occasionally with more difficulty than a 5 string) a fretted 4. But I just enjoy playing 4's more, I only go to 5's or 6's when I have to. And after all, that's what it ultimatly comes down to.

17. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    That's a hard call ...

I voted for the fretted 6, even though I've only had it for a short time now. Playing it exclusively for the past month, I have no desire to go back to a 5 (or 4) at all. This might just be because it's new and exciting, but I really think it's that the bass is so extremely versatile :hyper:

I reserve the right to change my mind at some point in the future :confused:

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I guess the trend here is to pick a specific bass, so i would of course go with my Musicman Sterling.

19. God, I must be the dullest guy around, but my bonestock Fender Precision is my main, my best, my buddy, my pal, 'til death do we part. I'll let the better players have all the active pickups, preamps, boosts, fretless boards, added strings, extended range slappin' 'n' poppin' machines. I voted "fretted four" and I have no regrets about it.

20. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    My Fretted jazz bass 4. It does it all.