1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Poll: Instrument Tone Knob Positions

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DangYankee, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Tone ~100%

2. Tone ~75%

3. Tone ~50%

4. Tone ~25%

5. Tone OFF

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DangYankee

DangYankee

Jul 11, 2017
    East Texas
    The post about Volume settings got me curious about everyone's tone settings. When I play my Jazz bass I usually have my tone cranked to 100% for that growl, but usually dial my Precision down to 60%ish for a nice warm mellow tone. How does this compare to the average player? Whats typical?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    For my passive Jazz, all open.

For my active, 3 band eq. Ibanez, I can adjust easily for each song, if necessary.

JRA likes this.
  3. I own all passive basses. All V/V/T.

I tend to blend pickups but 99% of the time my tone knob is rolled off down to zero to 15%-ish. I'm all about the bass----no treble.

JRA and BOOG like this.
  4. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    It depends on the song.

JRA likes this.
  5. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Most of the time I have it at 100%, on the passives of course.

On the actives, I tend to fiddle with the EQ more, but the passive tone roll off doesn't really inspire me much.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Assuming we're talking only about passive basses, it is at 100% 99% of the time.
    The only exceptions are if we randomly decide to play the reggae version of a song (happened in the middle of a tune at a gig last week...the drummer wanted to make me laugh...it worked) or if there's a very specific tone I'm going for. There's one song we play occasionally where I cop a keyboard part during the intro that sounds best played high on the neck with the tone rolled all the way off.

7. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    I always have the tone and volume up at 100%, i get all of my volume and brightness control from finger positioning. That said, i think my set up reflects the use of fingers for V and T, I use a passive Bass with tape wounds, so they are not the brightest but if you get on them they have a nice snap. I use a preamp pedal and the tone knob is at 1 O'clock. Only time i ever use the volume knob is when we are trying something quietly so we can talk while playing the parts.

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

all of my instruments have two pickups and two tone controls. i play whatever tone appeals to me in that room at that time, but: it's rarely an extreme (0, 100), mostly in the middles +/- my 'vibe' for what will work in that particular situation.

i don't think i do anything special (as described above) and i'm surprised that anyone else actually uses the same exact settings, always. how's that working out?

9. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I have a Bill Lawerence q filter on most of my passive tone pots so I usually adjust until I find a nice place to sit in the mix. It's usually differnt for every room

10. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    On passive basses, it's all up or all down, I never use the grey area in between. On the active basses, I run the 3 band EQ flat, and only make adjustments if needed.

BassChuck likes this.
  11. Since the tone knobs on passive basses are so drastic i keep it at 100% and use the amp eq if its too bright..

12. Yes

13. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I only have two basses with a single Tone knob, all the rest have 2- or 3-band active equalizers. Those instruments with the single Tone control spend 98% of the time wit it wide open, at 100%, and maybe 2% of the time with it at somewhere between 75% and 50%.

14. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Passive w/ flats, tone & volume on full.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    One of my 1st-ever bass mods...
    A '78 Schecter P-bass became a PJ bass.
    As a P, there were 2 knobs: Volume & Tone (I always dimed the Tone control)
    As a PJ, there are 2 knobs: Volume & Volume...the Tone is wired to 100%.
    No tweaking there. I always use an outboard pre-amp with this log.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021