Poll: Is Slap Dead?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DrGroove, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Yes, Slap Is Dead. Buy a pick, hosers!

35 vote(s)
  2. Hell No. Slap is still da bomb.

141 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrGroove

Jun 8, 2000
    Austin, TX
    OK. Dreading dangerous waters here... :cool:
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, i dont get the poll really. slap is not dead. i do it all the time. but i use a pick normaly. i think the 2 sounds are completly diffrent. so to anwser your qustion, no, its diffently not dead.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Naw. At least in the USA. Like the stock market, it has gone through a "correction." I don't know if Japanese "chopper" bassists will ever get over it.

Pick sure seems to making a resurgence. Maybe it's just momentary, but I've seen so many pickers recently.
  4. DrGroove

Jun 8, 2000
    Austin, TX
    good point on slap... I wouldn't say there's been a resurrgence, as much as more players are just incorporating the technique into their toolbox of available sounds. also, it seems that 'slap bass' doesn't have as much taboo about it in the band scene as it did even as early as 95 or 96... now, if I use the thumb in a song, it's not as much of a political statement as it used to be a few years ago.
  5. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    music never dies, lotsa people just stop listening to it

Man I love punk
  6. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    i dont think its dead, just not as popular as it used to be. funk is less popular and that doesnt help. slap has changed a bit, sometimes it seems like youre just beating the guitar. if you ask any guitar player if they know what slap is, i would bet 99.9% know what it is.
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no, it's not dead, it just smells funny.
  8. Was it ever very healthy?? Apart from funk, I cant think of many songs that ever used, or needed it. I only ever really hear it when bassists are showing off, but thats about it.
  9. BassPlayer101

Jul 27, 2001
    Picks are for the weak!!!!
    But I do use picks if I am playing something that the person that wrote it used a pick.

10. Slap bass hasnt gone anywhere.There just arent a lot of musicians in the new crop of players coming up that have spent enough time developing the technique.It takes work
    you cant just strap on your bass and start doing it.
    Go back and listen to Larry Gramm and Louis Johnson.Its like melodic drumming.Showing off has nothing to do with it.People respond to it in an audience because it sounds cool.
    There is a quote that states "technique is the means by which the soul is allowed to fly freely".
    P E A C E
  11. EasyBass

Nov 19, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Any of you listen to hardcore out there? A lot of that is slap...
  12. Hmm...Incubus, Mudvayne, Red Hot Chili Peppers
  13. Calm down Frank.
  14. EasyBass

Nov 19, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Disturbed Primus Korn
  15. I think it's still alive. Local music scene has a good deal of it from it's bassists. Me and about 4-5 other bassists use it in original songs. Maybe it's just cause I'm really looking for it, is why I see it. But I do know it backs up the drummer, gets people into the beat of a song. That's how I'll use it when it's time to punch up a rock song.
  16. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Slap is not dead. Have you seen girls fight recently? ;)

Seriously, slap is a technique to get a particular percussive sound from the bass - it can never die, just as bowing a bass will never die.
  17. I think that the RHCP songs that have slapping would be classed as funk.
    I havnt listened to Incubus or Mudvayne, so I cant make a judgement on them.
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that sounds like some kinda serious foot disorder, right there, buddy. :D

"my primus korns are quite disturbed, doctor, can you help me?"
  19. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Slap is way overrated and overused, but it's pretty neat. I kind of wish more people would work more on the fingerstyle though. If you're to hear a good bassist in rock/metal context these days they're almost always slappin'..and that's cool but it gets kinda cliche.

oh wel.

20. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yep... Dead as a DoDo....Yesterdays news (Thank Goodness!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.