1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Poll: Keep the Jazz Bass or Return It

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by warnergt, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Send it back. Get the rosewood fretboard you really wanted.

73 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Keep it. You may learn to really like the maple fretboard.

101 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Carrots.

40 vote(s)
    18.7%
  1. I went against one of my instincts and purchased a bass
    online (I know -- always play the bass first).
    Long story short: I had accumulated a lot credit card rebate
    points which meant that, through the right merchant, I could
    pick up a Fender Standard Jazz Bass for next to nothing.
    Furthermore, I had a little GAS for one in Copper Metallic Burst.
    This color was offered last year so these are leftovers that
    wouldn't last forever. So, I pulled the trigger.

I ordered a Copper Metallic Burst Fender Standard Jazz Bass
    with a rosewood fingerboard. A bass arrived today. However,
    it has a maple fingerboard. They goofed up the order.

So, I can't say that I hate it. It's actually really nice and
    plays well. I can say that I hate returning stuff -- especially
    big stuff. But it was their error, and I would have every right
    to return it for exchange.

It isn't exactly what I ordered. Should I live with it or send it back?

2. Is there a 30 day return policy? If so, play it for a week and then decide. It may be meant to be.

3. If you dislike the fact it's maple enough to raise the question you might be going to return it; although as you say it's quite nice. Non the less it's a matter of personal oppinion.

Good luck with it!

4. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    This.

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I'd say keep it, you may get a rosewood fingerboard on the next one but it mightnÂ’t play half as well. If you can play it in advance, great. If I found a winner I'd stick with it. Personally I prefer maple, but If it looks good it looks good.

If you can't stand the look and/or feel... give it a few days... then send it back if you haven't warmed to it. +1 on the leveraging the 30 days return if you have that option. :D

Enjoy your new instrument, and if you switch it out, enjoy that one as much! (or more).

6. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    To me it's all about how it plays and sounds. If it's good, then don't risk an exchange just for the looks. If there's something you don't like, then send it back. I'd say you've got a win/ win situation.

7. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Keep it. If you really like it...it's a winner. Not all Fenders were created equal.

I prefer maple necks, too. There's MY bias. Plus, that color combo looks pretty sweet with maple...now throw down a tort guard and you've got quite the hottie on your hands :)

8. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I agree with this!

9. Send it back if you are set on the rosewood. If they have it in stock it then it should be a very easy swap, with them paying for return shipping as well.

Or, you could keep the bass and swap out the neck later on down the road. Like this one.

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I'm with you on hating to send big stuff back. The first reason being that it's a Fender and you didn't play it first. So with the bass that came you first have to ask yourself "did I get lucky"? If you find the bass has exceptional tone and feel and playability, then you have to question sending it back and spinning the wheel again. Next time you might not be so lucky.

On the other hand if you find there are things about it that just don't quite seem up to snuff in some ways, then I'd think about sending it back and hoping your luck is better on the next one.

Plus there is always the issue of shipping. I get SO paranoid about shipping (and not always without cause!) And with a return you take the one trip to you and turn it into Three TIMES the chance of shipping damage!

So you have to ponder all these things. I've got maple boards and love them. I've got rosewood and they are very nice too in a different sort of way. But it's not about me, it's about what these things say to you.

11. Pics, too. But I like maple, so keep it.

12. If you're always gonna wonder about the rosewood fretboard that you ordered & never got, then send it back & get the rosewood board. I always seem to prefer rosewood, & to be honest I don't know if I really hear much difference, if at all. I like the look of maple fretboards & they feel the same to me. My advice would be to keep it & play the piss out of it if you like the bass's feel & sound overall, because then it's probably the bass that providence brought you, whatever that means.

13. I'll agree with the others saying that if it is a good player and sounds good, keep it. Only, if you like the maple board. If the rosewood is a must, and you are always going to have a nagging thought in the back of your mind that you should have got the rosewood.

Send it back and get the rosewood board!

14. I have a good amount of rosewood boards, but have always wanted at least one maple in my collection. I don't know if you're in a similar situation... Just saying.

15. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    If you like it, keep it. But my opinion is that rosewood > maple. So, dig maple or deal with mistake, or return for bare wood. mmmmm, bare wood.

16. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I was going to say to keep it (maple necks sound great to me) until I read your post. Whether you would like it or not is moot. It isn't what you ordered, and that should be all that matters. Send it back unless you've decided that you really love the maple. In that case, you should contact the seller and complain. You may get a partial refund, but even if you don't, they need to know about the error so they can retrain the stock person who filled the order (if needed).

17. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    If you are going to return it, dont play it too much.
    If the next one isnt as good to play you will be kicking yourself.
    ignorance is bliss!!!

18. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Jun 1, 2011
    Remember one thing. You don't choose your bass, your bass chooses you.

19. If you want to return it, then do so. I have so many rosewood fretboards, the maple would be a nice change. I just acquired to maple necked basses to see I would notice the difference.

20. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC

Agree...