1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Poll - Last pedal to finish my board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jared Lash, Apr 29, 2009.

What pedal to finish my board?

Poll closed May 6, 2009.
  1. Wah

28 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. Flanger

27 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. Something else (please explain)

16 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Carrots

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I've got one open slot on my board and since I'm torn I'm tossing the ultimate decision to my TBFX brethren.

Here's what I've currently got:

1. Boss OC-2
    2. Fuzz (either the Chunky Cheese or Brown Dog)
    3. Chunk Agent 00Funk
    4. Moog Low Pass Filter
    5. Phaser (whichever wins the 3 way battle royale)
    6. Tremolo (nother Empress, an EBS or who knows)
    7. Tech 21 VT Bass

I've got a rack compressor (dbx) and am planning on a rack tuner, so those things are covered.

So I'm thinking the last slot will be wah or flanger unless someone can make a great case for something else. Whatever the end poll result is, that's what I'll buy.

Not that it matters all that much but I play a lot of different music but mainly funk, dub, hip-hop, rock and ambient stuff. This board already has the things I actually need for my gigs (which are pretty small requirements) so really this is just another color choice on my palette.

What say you?

2. Phaser- set to freak. :cool:

Edit: Duh- I read the list as *choices*
    Lemme think...

3. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Ibanez Weeping Demon

4. i'd go with a boost or overdrive of some sort ;p

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    a few ideas:

1. i think you should buy my Catalinbread Valcoder. choppy goodness in a tiny package. :)

2. if you're going for more dirt, get the GeminiDrive. you won't be sorry.

3. if a flanger, try the EBS UniChorus. i like all the sounds that box makes.

6. Willson Wah! Maybe I'm just saying that because I'm still in the honeymoon with mine. Very tweakable. Very, very nice.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Well, I didn't want to influence things too much, but right now I'm thinking if I go wah it will be the Wilson 12 position QWah and if I went flanger it would be the HBE Frostbite.

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    DOD Hard Rock Distortion FX57.

I found it in my dads friends basement. Best MUSE like tone I can find. And it was free.

9. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I haven't personally tried this but I've always wondered what kind of sounds you could get by running a Micro POG (100% Octave Up) into the OC-2 (octave down and some 2 octave down) into dirt and filters. Kind of a lot of stuff to stomp on but I'd imagine it being really cool. Triple octaves and all synth. Crazy.

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    If you're set on a phaser, you'll never use your flanger (or vice versa) so I voted "other".

I'd get something nutsy and noisy.

11. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I'd consider a wah. More specifically, the Chicago Iron Parachute, because I have never known of anyone here actually using one.

12. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Wah. Because I've been wanting one lately and because it seems like another filter would be mre usefull than another swirly mod effect.

13. Weeping Demon +1

14. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    verb or slapback delay IMHO

for the choices you gave id do a flange

15. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I agree, delay.

You don't really need a wah, the moog can be used as a wah that is better sounding then the 105Q.

16. Do you already have an expression pedal for the moog on there? If not, that would be my suggestion. If not that, I'd say a boost or lite dirt type pedal. Or... just leave the spot open for a while and in time, you'll know what needs to go there. For example, the "plaster caster" might come out to replace your OC-2, and it might be quite a bit larger than the OC-2 and suddenly you won't have the space to spare;)

17. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    i second the verb or delay thing... a good verb (or a ****** verb, as i like) can be great for dub and dub step stuff, and delay is also very useful for spacier stuff, or rhythmic basslines....

john

18. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Another +1 on the 12 Position Wilson Wah. I've got one of the first ones released, and it's definitely a keeper! :)

19. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I voted wah because I love it with dirt pedals. But I also have three delays.

20. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Not to side track you thread, but BigO, tell me about the Moog LPF.

Oh and you need a chorus pedal!