Poll: Left-Handed people - play RH or LH bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Right-Handed (fret with LH, play strings with RH)

2. Left-Handed (fret with RH, play strings with LH)

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Left-Handed people only!
    (By "Left-Handed," it means you write with your left hand...Ambidexterous folks don't count here...)

If you WRITE with your left hand, how many of you play right-hand bass or left-hand bass?
  2. zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    I write with my left, and play bass with my right.

However, I use scissors with my right hand and I bat with my left. I'm right eye dominant. I even play drums rightly....

To be Ambidextrous means that you use both hands with equal facility. I do not. I use different sides for different things.... I always thought I was ambidextrous but I guess I'm not. :meh:

So what am I?
  3. Special! :p :D

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I write, eat, and used to smoke, with my left hand. But all musical instruments and sports I do right handed.

I figured if my left is the more dextrous, I'd want it on the frets.

But I used to switch-hit in baseball as a kid, and on vertical surfaces like chalkboards I can write with either hand without a problem!

woohoo southpaws!
  5. I'm left handed and I play bass right handed. Don't know why really, left hand fretting is probably better than right hand fretting for me.
  6. you're right, you are an ambi, under the medical definition. But for the sake of argument and for this poll, I'm narrowing down the definition of handedness by the hand you write with, since it is the most common and obvious way of indicating your own dexterity.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Write southpaw, play right-handed. I love tools from stores that specialize in lefty stuff, like scissors, because they're so much easier for me to use.

I don't get it. I'm just a mess!
  8. calshands

Feb 11, 2004
    I do just about everything left handed. Except for playing bass. I decided when I was starting out to learn right-handed so that I could play most of the instruments that I came across.

9. I believe this is a theme here. I didn't know the ratio was this high though. I've only run across one bass player in my life who played LH, when I sang/played keyboards for a band eight years ago.

I wonder if most of the great bass players out there are left-handed (as in writing)! The fact that it makes more sense to fret with our dominant hand must mean that we are actually at an advantage playing these so-called "right-handed" instruments!

Either that or, we all know it's a big pain to find/buy LH basses. :)
  10. i write and do most things with my left hand, and i play right handed, but i do a few things right handed.
  11. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Write lefty, play bass lefty, throw, bat, eat lefty. I use a mouse righty, right handed scissors, strum a guitar righty, and I kick with my right foot...
  12. CPL

Aug 24, 2003
    New England Area. USA
    I am also left-handed, yet I play a right-handed instrument. When I started playing (over 14 years ago) there was hardly any left-handed basses available and so I learned on a right-hander. I think it makes more sense, anyway, to fret with your dominant hand.
  13. Same deal as everyone else...nearly everything but play bass left-handed. Like CPL, When I started out, lefty basses were scarce and expensive. I'd love to try a lefty someday to see how it feels :smug:
  14. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I play and do just about everything else lefty.
  15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I bat left, throw left, write left, play bass right. I had never even seen a left handed bass before I started playing. I read something somewhere that was talking about left-handers having a better off-hand than right-handers. I think that makes some sense - it is a right handed world. Whoever mentioned the scissors, that was great.
  16. stevedeter12

Mar 10, 2003
    Nashville TN
    I'm all left handed. Play a left handed Fender but the catch is I play with right-handed stringing. Been playing for twenty years that way. Just surviving in a right handed world I guess.
  17. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm left handed, but play the bass right handed (that is I fret with my left hand).

I've always found it easier to use my dominant hand (my left) to control the most difficult things...i.e. - moving about the fretboard is more difficult than plucking the strings...or golfing right handed where your left hand has all the control.

An interesting thing...left handed people are right-brain dominant...which is the imaginative, abstract and creative side of the brain...whereas right handed people are left brain dominant and the left side of the brain is the more logical, mathematical, linear and structured side.

Also, left handed people are more apt to be ambidextrous and more often than not, use both sides of the brain more equally, than right handed people...which makes one wonder about music...being that it is both;

Creative, imaginative and abstract in it's creation...

Structured, mathematical and sequencially logical in it's play.
  18. Hatman

Feb 11, 2004
    Shropshire UK
    I write left handed and play right handed.

When I went for my frist DB lesson I started to play left handed but my teacher taught me to play right handed. When I picked up a bass guitar it was natural for me to play right handed.

I use right handed scissors though :D
  19. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I'm a right hander myself! I've tried playing my bass upside down (so fretting with my right hand) and it really, really didn't work. All I got was a few muddy notes and lots of fret buzz!

Andy :)
  20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Write lefty, do pretty much everything else righty, including play Bass.