Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: Lull Vintage 4 vs. USA Joe Osbourne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by degroove, May 18, 2004.

Which Nails that Classic 60s Jazz Tone?

Poll closed Jun 1, 2004.
  1. Mike Lull Vintage 4

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. USA Lakland Joe Osbourne

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  3. Other

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Greetings:

I am looking for the bass that would nail the vintage 60s jazz tone the best. I have a budget of $1,500 - $2,000. I know USA Laklands Joe Osbournes run 2000+, but I can afford some demo basses I saw on Bass Central. I know a vintage Lull costs about $1,850.

Nonetheless, Which bass would you prefer? Why?

And the most important question!

Sunburst or Natural... :)

Thanks! Matt

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I am a lakland person...

And its called "Sea foam Green" not sunburst! (LOL)

I would get it Candy apple Red.

3. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Yeah, for the Joe Osbourne, Candy Apple Red looks KILLER!!

Thanks for the response.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Fender MIA '62 Reissue is an awesome bass you may want to consider as well. You might also consider an late 60's early '70's Fender Jazz bass.

5. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    All the Jazz basses I saw were later 70s for that price range. The MIA 62 is on my to try list as well.

I am keeping an eye out for vintage jazz.s

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Lakland. Sunburst with tort. Nuff said.

7. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Cool. I hear lots of good stuff about the JO USAs. I am leaning towards them at this time. Might have to get a demo one though, but that would be no sweat to me... :)

8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    What about a Sadowsky Metro? IMHO it would blow BOTH of those basses out of the Water... (I already voted for the JO, but Just thought of this :rolleyes: )

9. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I am thinking that the price is too high. If I could get one in this range, I would consider it.

Got any links to retailers or prices?

10. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
  11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Go for it!!!

Seriously concider one, its far superior to the other basses you listed already.

Good Time's

-Tim

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I prefer the Lull to the JO, but it looks like I'm in the minority on this one. I would think that the Lull can be had for a bit cheaper as well. The Metro defintley throws a wrench into the comparison. For a few hundred more, it may be advantageous to step up to the Metro.

13. Maybe get one made.....

I recently had a Jazz built to my specs by a very competent luthier and it's pure heaven.

Found a used Fender jazz neck and he built the body to fit the neck perfectly. I picked out all the parts and again pure heaven.

All told it came in at $1100.

14. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Bucks COunty ain't far from me. I am a delawarean from Wilmington area.

Cool that you went with vintage Fender + Custom. That is nice.

15. I'm with Gene here. But if you're looking for "the bass that would nail the vintage 60s jazz tone the best", I don't think it would be the Sadowsky. I've ordered a Metro, but I am not expecting it to sound particularly vintage, like my Lull. Most reviewers describe it more as a Jazz on steroids with a modern tone. Regarding price, the Lull is definitely less expensive than the JO-USA; we sell our V-4's for $1800 with gig bag. But the Skyline JO's are considerably less.

Randy

16. I've had my metallic teal USA Osborn Active with matching headstock for about a year now and I have nothing bad to say about it. With the preamp set flat, those Fralins nail the 60s Jazz Bass tone. I dunno anything about Metro basses, but even if I had when I tried my Osborn, I would've stopped looking. This bass is it.
    [​IMG]

17. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Excellent. I know a guy who has a lull V-4 and his has a neck issue where he can't get the action low without buzzing. He said it was from the neck design that he described as built for the long-haul. He said it would take time to break the neck in. I was wondering what that meant?

18. Thanks !

Put Fender 60's custom jazz pups in it (passive), with a bassline 3 band Tone Circuits On-Board E.Q. (18 volt). Really came out well.

19. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Can you run it passive or active? Also, does Active lose the vintage sound? Or is it more for making changes to eq if needed based on room acoustics?