Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll madness(or, Lindfielding)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Sep 3, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Did anyone notice that somebody voted a bunch of old polls back to the top in Basses? The same thing happens from time to time in Miscellaneous, which makes it a pain in the arse to Moderate, because I have to pull up 15 or 20 old threads to make sure that there are no new posts in them.

I rarely agree with Bruce L on things, but I am beginning to agree with him about polls. I wish that we either did not have them, or they weren't bumped back to the top when somebody voted on them, only when a new post was added.

Or am I just getting old?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you're just getting old :D.

seriously, i think the issue could be solved if the time of the last post was accurately reflected in the "last post" list. if you notice now, under "last post" in the thread listing, it puts the time of the last vote over the name of the last poster, which may not be accurate. if the thread was popped back to the top with a vote, but the time reflected the last post, then all would be apparent without opening the thread.

3. embellisher

That sounds like a good idea for the Suggestion Box.:)

4. I may not be a moderator, but I too find polls annoying much of the time, especially when the person doesn't research the topic beforehand.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I thought Embellisher was already "old".

:D

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good hint, oh buddy, oh pal, oh chum. :)

7. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I agree. Im not even a moderator and I find myself annoyed by old polls popping up.

8. embellisher

I went there immediately after my post.;)

9. also, people who make polls often include a moronic comedy option, thinking they're being funny. and moronic people then VOTE for the comedy option, thinking THEY'RE being funny, when in actuality nobody is being funny at all. i hate that.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Comedy "You are getting old!" option

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Overheard at the greengrocer's:
    "I'd like a pound of comedy options, please."

And that's CARROTS to you humor challenged people...

dancehallclasher, what's funny to some may not seem funny to you. Who's right? :)

12. Seriously, the CARROTS option could hardly be still considered funny after all these years, could it? I mean, I recycle jokes like most people but that one has been in every poll for at least 18 months.

Oh yeah, I agree with embellisher's first suggestion about not bumping polls when someone only votes on them. I can't see the point in it.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If it's too poll, you're too old.

Or something like that. :D

(yeah, Lame, I know. My pun mojo is under the weather)

14. i am. next question.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm surprised he even asked.

16. ok, are those your real eyebrows or do you steal them from dead people/animal pelts?

17. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I think they are actually recycled carrot fibers, slowly blackened over the smoldering remains of a newly roasted list pollster... :)