1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poll: Most effective tip "jar"?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bennet Pullen, May 12, 2011.

1. Normal Jar (jar, pitcher, plastic bucket, etc)

18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Fancy Jar (blown glass, crystal bowl, diamond flagon)

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. Guitar Case

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Hat (or shoe?)

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Other (basket, cardboard box, mixing bowl, etc)

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Carrots

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm playing for tips a fair bit these days and I've been thinking about making a consistent tip "jar" to take from show to show. What style of tip receptacle has been the most effective in your experience? What about positioning? Or Labeling? Does having it off the floor or having an eye-catching tip sign help?

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    attactive chick showing a lot of flesh holding a jar.

3. Back2Bassics

Back2Bassics

Mar 10, 2010
    +1

4. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    We use an aluminum bucket a bar gave us. You know, the ones they serve the 6 pack on ice in? We had a friend draw "Tips" in a pretty cool, artsy way and we set it on one of our PA mains. We also have a cute chick that will take it around and peddle for us. Some say that's tacky, but hey, we're making peanuts playing the gig, and getting enough tip money to pay out our gear lumper or pay our bar tabs is worth the "shame" to me.

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    If you can, get a hot big breasted female to wear a shirt that says 'Big boobies' with boobies crossed out, and under it, written in sharpie, 'Tips'. Have her walk around the bar, and let people stuff $20s or higher in her cleavage. You could double your bands pay! Remember to give her a cut!

6. dminer

dminer

Nov 26, 2007
    +1 to Hot Chick or get a Cute Kid if you're in a family establishment. Unfortunately, you gotta work the darned thing every set if you play in a blues/bbq joint...also good, is to make a joke about needing the tips for alimony/child support/traffic tickets/new plate in your head ect....it gets the folks on your side and more likely to contribute.

It also helps to pass the jar around...get one of your folks to start it and send it table to table....people usually put in something when they're forced to handle the tip bucket/jar. Must be the social pressure!

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My wife bought one for us at Michael's, a craft store, for like $5.

8. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Multiple, 1 on every table, 1 within arm's reach of every seat at the bar.

9. +1 on sending a girl around with a tip bucket.

10. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

A local band I occasionally sub with jokes "All money goes to alcohol research."

11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

For the right gigs,

The baby (15 months) wears a shirt "I'm with the band"... bucket says "College fund"

When she can walk, I'll make a sandwich sign "Baby pix $1"

------

Seriously the classiest ones I've seen were clear and said "thank you" with cash and a LED light inside.

The most effective seem to be a 5 song EP with "free - donations appreciated":

---

12. HIGHLY effective, IME

13. This works for us at one bar, the waitresses graciously pass the tip jar around each set. They do it for all bands that play there. The peer pressure and having the waitress stand there with the tip jar really works- just having the jar up at the front of the bandstand, or at the merch table, doesn't work nearly as well.

At this same bar they also *refuse* to accept tips from the band members- pretty cool compared to other places where if you don't tip they get mad at you and won't wait on you when the place is busy. Isn't it bad enough that we have to buy our own drinks these days? Or only get a $50 tab for the whole band?

14. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    make it something easily replaceable, and don't forget to put some money in it to open the floodgates before the top of the show.

15. It don't gotta be fancy but you have to work that thing making announcements, introducing it as a member of the band, walking it around.

16. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    A HUGE bra.

17. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    This.

18. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
  19. +1 This one works great especially if you can get her to work the room. We once got room full of e-mail addresses listed on a signup sheet by using the same method. There is a reason why hot women are used to advertise and sell everything.