Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: Mtd Kingston or Yamaha BB604

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pesticle, May 3, 2002.

1. I am either getting a Mtd KIngston 4 string or a Yamaha BB604.. i cant really decide. has anyone heard either of these.. could you describe it if you have. eh ills top rambling... but any kind of feedback would be very appreciated :D

2. I have owned both, here's what you get: both have excellent construction and fit and finish.

MTD
    Asymmetric neck
    Basswood body
    Single pickup, passive
    Nice "stingray" tone
    Hardware on mine was black, matching headstock
    Ugly pickguard, IMHO
    Made in Korea

Yamaha
    Thicker neck, round profile
    Alder body, natural and wine are nice finishes
    J/J pickups, active electronics, built-in NE-1 parametric
    Hot J-bass "Nathan East' tone
    Gold hardware, nice solid bridge
    Made in Taiwan

Different basses, tough choice, can't you get both?
    Seriously I'd be hard pressed to choose, but am so partial to the NE-1 sound that my nod goes to the Yammy

3. what one was easier to play.. and tell me what kinda sound the mtd has.. bassy?.. real midrangey? bright , high, sustain?

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, what do you want the Kingston to do? It covers the full range, believe you me.

5. Kingston had the better neck by far. Sound for lack of a better way to describe was like a stingray, no surprise with a single sweet spot pickup. The Yamaha neck is half a baseball bat, not my cup of tea, but the electronics are awesome. The NE-1 built in sounds very good. Really tough call on which to choose.