1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Poll: Naming your band after a song, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DChalo, Oct 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bad

31 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Okay

99 vote(s)
    76.2%
  1. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    So I love jazz, and although I am in a rock band I want to name my band "Moment's Notice," after the John Coltrane song. I'm not sure if this is bad naming etiquette or even copyright. What do you guys think?

But honestly I feel like "Moment's Notice" is a pretty BA band name imo

and FYI I play BARI SAX and I am actually a very avid jazz fan

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Zane DeBord, electracoyote and Helix like this.
  2. That's a good name, I'd run with that.

Pumpkin, LowActionHero and Helix like this.
  3. That's cooler than where Nickelback got their name from.

4. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Yea I felt amazing when I thought of it as a band name, while listening to the standard. I just feel the jazz community might think we are a jazz group. Although I do play bari sax and am writing stuff for our band that has jazz influence...

5. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Didn't they have an out-of-order gumball machine or something?

6. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    Nothing wrong with it IMO.

Off the top of my head...

Godsmack (Alice in Chains)
    Boris (Melvins)
    Jesu (Godflesh)
    Judas Priest (Bob Dylan)
    The Rolling Stones (Muddy Waters)

Ellery, Buszkock, Jhengsman and 3 others like this.
  7. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    It's good only if it's an obscure song.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    It wouldn't be the first time a band was named that. It's especially popular with pickup jazz bands.

Abe-of-Bass, HolmeBass and corinpills like this.
  9. At first, I was expecting you were going to name yourself from one of your own songs... Seemed pretty lame to me - even though Black Sabbath did it.

This is fine and a good name.

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

This. If people recognize the name too easily, then they will assume you're a tribute band to that artist. There's another band name thread going right now where one of the contenders is "What You Need." Anyone who heard that would assume they're an INXS tribute.

Sometimes a lyric out of a song or a line from a movie is better. I'm not pursuing the project now, but I was going to try to launch an alt-indie rock cover band, and one of my favorite artists I wanted to cover songs from is the Cold War Kids. In the captions to their video for the song "Hang me up to dry," they reference a made-up movie title, "Six Cowards." I immediately thought that should be a band name.

Renaissance and Jhengsman like this.
  11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    "Moment's Notice" is a cool name.

When I was a teenager, we named our band "Talisman" after this song by The Guess Who we liked.

12. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Was in a funk band years ago that took a line from an old Bob Marley song. "Black as Jet". It worked.

13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think '$25 Coffee' is more catchy...

14. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    If you name your band after a song, then you need to write a song named after a band.

gpx1200 likes this.
  15. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Co-signed. Even in a jazz context, "More Than A Feeling" or "Misty Mountain Hop" are non-starters.

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Especially since it is a different genre, likely no one is even going to know that's where you got the name.

BlueAliceOasis and Helix like this.
  17. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    For an originals band, if it's an obscure song, then I'd say yes. I didn't votes "yes" or "no". If it's a well known song, people might think that the band is not very creative. If it's a cover band, then maybe a well known song title as the band name will give people a good idea what kind of music the band's going to play. So it really depends.

18. No problem. Even though it's a scientific term for temperature; my band's name is Absolute Zero (song by Stone Sour)

19. TuneIn

TuneIn

Feb 15, 2010
    fine, as long as its a song your band wrote.

20. If you name the band "Moments Notice" maybe you could use it as marketing to venues telling them that: 'Of course you will be there if the main act falls through in a moment's notice'... or something like that.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021