Poll: Number of Strings.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TonyS, Feb 14, 2001.

How many strings on Your main axe.

Poll closed Feb 21, 2001.
  1. 3 or Less

0 vote(s)
  2. 4

92 vote(s)
  3. 5

54 vote(s)
  4. 6

18 vote(s)
  5. 7 or More

4 vote(s)
  1. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    Talkbassers time to be counted.

Let us know how many strings are on your main axe.
  2. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    just sending the poll back to the top

...im interested in the results.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, who's the other main-gun 7 stringer?
  4. Hey C'mon! Theres gotta be SOMEONE whos main axe is 3 or less strings...

*whispers, lets all put 4 strings to make john turner mad..hehehe*
  5. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    I was hoping that someone other than me would find this interesting. Thanks for
    kicking it back to the top.

Maybe the guy plays a 10 or 12 stringer. :)

There was a thread floating around here not too long ago about three strings. I added
    it for PC reasons. :)
  6. G

Apr 12, 2000
    I am putting 4 for now, but I have a 6 on the way that I plan on making my main bass for most everything. After that I think there is definitely a 7 in my future... I guess that I kind of consider the 6 and 4 to be somewhat different instruments because I also play upright. Anyway, technically 4. Soon to be 6!
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm surprised. I thought everyone stopped playing four-strings at the same time I did. This poll is false.
  8. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    I've changed the forum's poll setup so now if a user places a vote, the poll and it's thread will be bumped to the top, as if it's received a post.
  9. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i wish i had a bass with less than four strings, i haven't found one not on internet, and i don't have too much money to spend. I'm posting a levin pic. He is using FUNK FINGERS!!!!
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  11. Hi, my name is Herm - and I'm a fiveaholic
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Once I got a 5, I had to get at least 2, 1 main & 1 back-up. I just ordered a Spector NS-2000 5Q as the backup to my Warmoth & Spector NS-5. I was gonna buy a cool StingRay 5 on eBay, but I didn't want to have 3 main 5 strings!!! LOL (and it cost more than I can afford @ the moment) :D So I'm afraid to buy a 6. For one if I do, it mast likley will be a Spector NS-6 XL which will cost over $3,000.00, then I got to buy a back up. I'm NUTS!!!
  13. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I switched to 5's two years ago, I now have five and my only four gathers dust.
  14. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Interesting, less than half of players here have just four strings. I put my vote on four too, mainly because i don't yet have a fiver - yet.
  15. Yeah, I'm on a 4 right now, but I know it's only a matter of time before I move on to 5. I really want the lower range.

I'll never move to 6, I dont want the higher stuff and I also just dont like the way 6 strings look, just my preference innit.

Right on chaps who play these 6,7 ans 8 string monsters tho!
  16. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I was seriously considering getting a GT-7..

until I played it.. hehe

I'm happy with my four, but I know if I wanna get SERIOUS, I'll need a 6 sooner or later.
  17. Well, I would say that depends on the music you're playing. I know plenty of people who are VERY serious, and use a 4 as their main bass.. including myself.
    MYTH: 4-string basses are going away.
    MYTH: If your main bass is a 4, you haven't "evolved."
    Tell that to Geddy Lee, Jeff Berlin, Jack Bruce, Will Lee, Victor Bailey, etc. etc..
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am frankly surprised that the 5 is not the most popular. Most of the guys I see locally are playing 5s.

I still play my 4s, but 5 is what I play the most.
  19. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    I happen to agree with Dave Siff ... it depends on the music that you play. I own a Five but prefer the Four.

Maybe I have'nt given it a proper chance.
  20. techtone

Jan 7, 2001
    4 strings are all I need!!!