Poll:oldschool hardcore growl/ clank factor - Ibanez ATK 300 or fender Geddy Lee ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Ibanez ATK 300

11 vote(s)
  2. Fender geddy lee

11 vote(s)
  1. What would you take for that old school clanky growl sound used in many, many hardcore bands?
  2. well, if you've heard Rush's "Live in Rio" then you'll know just how good that Geddy Lee jazz sounds (plenty of "clanky growl")

then again, im sure the player had something to do with that too :p
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    The Geddy is a great little bass. One of Fender's best creations, IMO. The Ibanez might be decent too but I've never been fond of them.
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Okay, ASSUMING that you're going to actually use this bass in an honest-to-God hardcore band, it's likely to get beat up a good bit. Considering how much less you'll spend on an ATK, you might want to take the potential for abuse into consideration. That's one of the reasons why many hardcore players still opt for Squiers and other low-enders.

As for that hardcore sound, you can get either one (or a cheapy Squier) and plug it into an OD or distortion unit and basically get the sound you're looking for.

Simply put, if I were to play in a hardcore band (and I played in a few in the early 80s), I would NOT take a $500.00+ bass to a show.

Just my .02 (actual value: .01)
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For most other types of music i would recomend the ATK but for that...Geddy.
  6. What about a MIM jazz? Do those compare to either atk or geddy?
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003

er, no ;).
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  10. ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Mike Money and I both have Mexican Deluxe Jazz Basses (got love for the red!) and I am in total agreement with him that these particular MIM jazzes would compare favorably to the ATK, and I like mine better than the Geddy Lee sigs I have tried. It may be worth noting I have added a Badass II bridge to mine, though.
  11. Does the type of bass really make a difference in hardcore? If your playing real hardcore you can't really distinguish the tone of the bass. I'd bet you could go up with a squire P and like a Spector NS5 and not sound that different. Go play them and decide which one feels better and which one you like better, and then pick one. Amp EQ makes all the difference too, just set your EQs right and you'll sound ok with any bass.