Poll on Speaker Size

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LizardKing45, Feb 16, 2001.

1. 8"

19 vote(s)
  2. 10"

231 vote(s)
  3. 12"

97 vote(s)
  4. 15"

138 vote(s)
  5. 18"

6 vote(s)
  6. 10"s and 15"s

173 vote(s)
  7. 8"s and 15"s

13 vote(s)
  8. 10"s and 18"s

30 vote(s)
  1. Trying out the poll function, and i figured i would start a poll on speaker size.
  2. I DIG this poll thingie..keep the votes comin...
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, what about 4x12" + 1x18"? i feel so left out.
  4. *feels very much guilt and shame for oversight*
  5. I like the polls too, but you left out my usual combo of 15 + 12 I'm not a fan of 10's.
  6. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    JT, everything's just got to be BIGGER for you, hasn't it? :D
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

This poll made me think- are 18's the limit these days? Seems I remember a 22" available from?????
  8. I am a bass newbie, i must say, and i always thought that 18 was the limit, rickbass... If people complain about muddiness in 18s, wouldnt a 22 just be silly? I mean, would it produce useable tone?
  9. I'm thinking of using a 1x18 with my 2x12 =)
  10. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, there was a speaker company named Hartley which had 24" woofers for home stereo. Electro-Voice used to make a model called the 30W - yes, a 30" woofer! Nice, but the drawback is you'd really need a huge cabinet or else mount them in a permanent "cabinet" such as a closet.

- Mike
  11. The1ManMoshPit

Jan 2, 2001
    Ahh, you left out 12" with horn...and for that matter 15" with horn (A la SWR Workingman's line...damned fine amps...)

And seeing as that's all I own I suppose I can't lie and claim to use a 22" speaker, now can I? :)
  12. rickbass

Uh, uh, Lizard. Amps/cabs used to be a lot more adventurous in the "old days." Bass amps were still new territory, relative to guitar amps.

I bought a rig back in the 70's that was a Gallien-Krueger head on a Cerwin-Vega B36 (18" folded horn) cabinet called the Earthquake. It actually stood up to a lot of what's on the market today and it wasn't a mud machine.

As long as you have enough juice and play it in a big room, 18"s rock the house. That's why one of the cabs of my "big gig" amp has an 18."
  13. rickbass

That's even BIGGER than the one I was trying to recall, Mike. Thanks. Leave it to you to know. That info. got me looking at that 18" in the front of Carvin's catalog where all the power amps and sound support gear are. Looks even more brutal than the one we have with our RL1018's for a couple $100+ more.
  14. Ahhhhhh the punch of 4X10" and horn yeah!

Cerwin Vega are they still around and producing instrument speakers? I thought they were just making Hi Fi and Pa type equipment!
  15. rickbass

If the spec's are in the ballpark, you sure can Punk. J. Turner uses one, (not a C-V I think). Good ones can be as taut and firm as those in conventional bass cabs. That Ashdown woofer cabinet Entwistle is pictured with in the ads is a PA type cab.
  16. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    The poll should be divided in 2 parts : what do you use ? What do you want to use ?
    I'm playing currently on a combo with a 15" and a horn but if i had the bucks, would rather play on a 4*10"s and a 15" or 18", something like that.
  17. rickbass

Psycho- Super interesting post! That's why I don't have my C-V B-36 Earthquake and GK head anymore. That thing took that head like shaken baby syndrome! I had to take the pop-in casters off if it was used on a hard surface.

When the US went to Panama to take care of Noriega they used something like these to blast his palace 24hrs a day.
  18. I just read some of the posts on really big speakers. Turbosound made a PA subwoofer with a 24" driver. The things were 4'X4'X3' and weighed like 300 lb...But they could rumble. We crossed them over at 60 Hz. Turbo still makes 21" drivers for their flashlight/floodlight system (like Pink Floyd used on their last tour).
  19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yes. as i've said before, it's all to compensate for a very particular, woeful inadequacy. :eek: :D
  20. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Yeah... I've been to Bunny Bass too!! :D