Poll: Peavey TKO-115 or Hartke Kickback 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassicrunner, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Peavey TKO-115

22 vote(s)
  2. Hartke Kickback 15

14 vote(s)
  3. Other

8 vote(s)
  1. bassicrunner

Sep 23, 2001
    I need a cheap (sub-$500) amp that is very versatile, but VERY loud. I need it for college because I'm not gonna take my super redhead. The redhead's great, but I need alot more power.
  2. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    if loud is what you want im gonna have to vote against the peavey... it doesnt handle low notes very well. in that range ..... i would suggest maybe an ashdown or SWR workingman combo.
  3. wait a second? do either of those beat out the redhead for power? The redhead could handle any club gig that I know.... AND it is one of the most highly regarded amps that I know..
  4. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    If you want LOUD, a Peavey with a Black Widow 15 will make a LOT of noise. That being said, you can by used components that are easier to carry for $500 (or a used Peavey combo for $350).
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i own a TKO - and there's no way it would come close to a redhead in volume, PLUS it weighs more.

if you want something loud and small check out the smaller ashdown combos or the acoustic image contra - but seriously, i think you could put your money in a better place :)

6. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Of those choices I would go for the Hartke Kickback 15, it is loud, it is in your price range, moderately light in weight and it has nice tone.
  7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm voting for the Hartke, and I'm even a Peavey fan.

The speaker in the Peavey's quite loud, it's midrange heavy, but the wattage won't get you nearly where you need to be.

The TKO is literally probably one of the cheapest amps Peavey has made. Now, if you were to get a used Combo 115? That'd be different. :)
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Tell you what, I'm feeling generous, so I'll trade you, straight up, my Peavey TNT 130 (that's the older brother of the 115... it makes it, um, classic... yeah...) for your Redhead. PM if you're interested.
  9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    There is NO WAY a sub-$500 1x15" combo is going to be louder than the Redhead.
  10. bassicrunner

Sep 23, 2001
    I'm telling you, the Redhead is not that loud!!! I promise. Sure its got great tone, but its not as loud as I want...and the Redhead is also 80lbs making it heavier and less portable than the 70lb peavey and 50lb hartke.

(...and no thanks on that trade. But thanks anyway:))
  11. I heard a guy a few nights ago, playing through a carvin with 1x15, it sounded good and loud. I agree with the "you already have the best amp" vibe though. If you are going to college to be a music major, you'll find the need for a really small amp i.e. GK 1x12 or Acoustic image, or something along those lines to play in classes and drag around. The redhead in your room might not see as much use as you think, although if you are going to a more rock oriented school, then it may. I'm trying to imagine a club here in NY where a redhead wouldn't cut it and I can't, although I'm sure there are a few places, with no PA for the backline
  12. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Assuming that you're looking for a more portable amp than the Redhead, the Peavey is not a good choice because it only has one handle, making it harder to carry than the Redhead!
  13. Ok good... the general consensus was not that I was crazy for thinking that the redhead was both louder and better than the other choices... phew... I just about had my little world where I think i am smart shattered ;P

14. I own the TKO-115 and use it for all my small bar gigs these last several months. It is small, one trip to the truck, and loud. Tone ain't much, and it has no bottom. Yes, it is loud. Mine has a Black Widow 15 installed, ported, no tweeter.

I put up with the lack of bottom, because it is so easy to move it around. The tone characteristic is similar to many other cabs that put a too-large driver into a too-small cabinet. It has a big mid bass hump, and corresponding steep rolloff. Gutless bottom, but loud as hell on 75 watts.

It will not accept an extension speaker, and is designed specifically for an 8-ohm load.
  15. Ok, my school's jazz band has both of these. By all means the hartke sounds clearer and cleaner, and has a touch more headroom than the peavey. The peavey is more reliable though! The hartke's had problems with it's input jack which I resoldered and it was sent in for a busted power input in the back. It sounds 10x better than the peavey with jamming with drummers and playing slap. If you like bright slap, get the hartke. The Peavey DOES handle lows, and it handled a low B just fine, but definetly not for louder "metal" situations. The peavey's DAMN heavy, the hartke is lighter and the better value in my experience. Both handle a low B well enough for the situation it's being used in. The Peavey's been a great backup amp that's been used for about year as the hartke was collecting dust waiting to be fixed.

Get the hartke.
  16. XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    | have the Peavey TKO..its sucks ass when your working with guitars, but sounds great with the jazz band, | would suggest the Peavey TNT, or COMBO.
  17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you want LOUD but good tone, i'd get a Yorkville XM-200. Loudest 200 watts you'll ever hear. And way better tone than the Peavey and the Hartke. $479 from Musician's Friend. Also, if you can find it, the carpet covered version is cheaper.
  18. yep... I'd say check it out. One thing I've been doing is not "hearsay". If I have no experience with a product, I don't mention it. That way all the people that torch Hartke and have never played through my rig, I can bitch out and use the greatest phrase ever. "IME". :D By all means check out the Yorkville. I've been killing to try one out myself:)
  19. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I have to agree with OX here, I had a Yorkville XM200 and it is major LOUD I sold it because I ran into a great deal on a Peavey Bam 210 combo. I have to say it will be the absolute loudest amp you will ever hear under $500.00 new and they have an incredible warranty!!
  20. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i played through the non-kickback version of the hartke 15, and it had some serious booty. the power jack was pretty flaky, however.