1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

POLL * Performance Mods Jazz Bass *

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Ray, Mar 22, 2009.

Performance Mods for Jazz Bass

Poll closed Mar 25, 2009.
  1. Tuners

11 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Hipshot D-Tuner

19 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Nut

14 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Neck

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Frets

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. Body

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. Pickups

44 vote(s)
    59.5%
  8. Preamp

25 vote(s)
    33.8%
  9. Other Electronics i.e pots/shielding

30 vote(s)
    40.5%
  10. Bridge/Saddles

26 vote(s)
    35.1%
  11. Strings

41 vote(s)
    55.4%
  12. Other

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Hi There are a lot of jazz basses out there. I would like to know why and what you do to "improve" your jazz bass performance/sound. I thought a poll would be great so we can see what the most popular mods are. Pictures can also be helpful.

I will start :
    1.) Sheilded the electronic/pickup cavity in my Geddy Lee to make it quieter.
    2.) Added push/poll pot for series/parallel option for pickups...really adds an extra pseudo P bass tone.
    3.) Added Hipshot De-tuner for playing "D" tuning blues.
    4.) Added graphite saddles to my 03 US S-1 Jazz that is strung with Pyramid Flats..so the string will sit better in the saddle and reduce chance of breakage.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    J-retro

3. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    i chose strings- you can change the sound so drastically just by wichever strings you use

then i would do pickups, then preamp, the d-tuner.

but on my laklands the only thing i would do is put on my string of choice(highbeams)add a d-tuner, everything else is PERFECT;)

4. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I chose other electronics. On a passive Jazz, adding a switch to do series/parallel gives you 2 basses in one: a jazz and a usable (if not pure) P. :hyper:

5. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    Its called the S1 switch. I have one on mine and love it.

6. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    IF I had the money, I'd go bananas on the bass. Shielding, pots/electronics, pickups, tuners, bridge, D-tuner, nut, everything. BUT. If you plan on changing all those on a bass, isn't it better to actually fork over some more dough and buy a bass that actually has everything you need? Rhetorical question, really, but, oh well. I'd go for a VM or a CV stock any day (not a MIM, however!)! :D

As a sidenote, I must say that too many people get caught up in this upgrading "trend" as of late, without even getting to actually play the bass enough to actually understand its weak points, even without buying it first sometimes! :rollno:

7. Not to change the subject but is there any info on TB on how to add this switch to an existing J bass?

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My goal was to have a very light J bass that was quiet when using nylon tapewound strings.

Essentially I took my somewhat heavy AVS '62 J bass, lightened it up and took out the pickup buzzzzzzzzz.

I installed Gotoh Res-O-Lite 350 tuners, a 3.5 lb body of Paulownia, and Bartolini 9J pickups which are individually humbucking and shielded so there is no buzz due to me not being in contact with grounded steel strings when playing nylon tapes.

I turned out fine, weighs under 6.5 lbs and sounds great with zero noise.

BTW, today I just finished a P bass version that weighs just under 6 lbs. with a swamp ash body.

9. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Go to bestbassgear.com and go the wiring diagrams..under Basslines there is a diagram.

10. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I would do frets (assuming they were poorly done, which I have never experienced) and "other" because a good setup can do wonders;

And then pickups, preamp, and other electronics for an improved sound, but only if it really needs it. I put the Audere JZ3 in my Jazz and am in love. I wouldn't mind shielding the cavities or getting some hum canceling pickups, but I like the sound as it is.

And of course, strings. My first set of DR Hi Beams had me sold on the claim that good strings can make a tremendous difference.

11. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
  12. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    +1
    I did this to my SX SJB57, and it IS a very nice transparent pre. :hyper: