Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll:Pick or Fingers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Feb 14, 2001.

1. my fingers

83 vote(s)
    59.7%
  2. a pick

11 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. both

45 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Alright,let's start taking advantage of the new forum additions such as polls!This would show up eventually...so how many of you use pick,fingers or both?

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    C'mon everyone! 100 views and only 16 have voted?

3. techtone

techtone

Jan 7, 2001
    I think you should use the technique that best supports the sound you want! Why limiting the possibilities you have!!!

4. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Yes,but still,don't forget that there are some who haven't mastered one technique,like me.I intend to learn how to use a pick in the future,and I fool around with one sometimes,but I feel that I have more important things to learn first.Important to MY playing,I haven't been in a situation yet where I wanted a pick sound.

5. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I replied to the poll but I've got to say that I ONLY use a pick when the piece calls for it!

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Kinda interesting to note that no one so far uses a pick exclusively.

7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I've always been mainly a finger man. I can't get any feel with a pick, and I just can't play with the emotion I need, or hit the right string half the time. Also I always got very tin twangy sound when I tried picks and didn't care for it much. But hey, thats just me, as long as your making music, keep on doing whatever you need to do

shawn

8. I actually enjoy picks more. Everyone else makes me use fingers, probably best for learning pieces or deciphering tough lines. But I just like the way things feel and the sound is when I use a pick. And besides, it's tons of fun to lower my bass down to my hips and just go ballistic on it like Dee Dee Ramone. I know there are some people out there that are rolling their eyes at this, but I sometimes feel that not enough people give pick playing a fair chance, when it's used in the right spot it sounds awesome.

9. I love using my fingers. One time the guitar player in my band handed me a pick and told me that the song sounded better with it, but I ended up throwing it on the floor 3 seconds later. I just love getting a certain feel for a song. I can usually determine how I want to play it and what sound I want and use it by using my fingers. Never too successful with a pick though.

10. i think it feels way cooler and way more in control when your just usin your fingers. its more real, to me that is

11. Don Fabrizio

Don Fabrizio Guest

Jan 27, 2001
    I have learned to play bass with my fingers and I never really tried to use the pick. A pick is something for guitarists!

12. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    I played pro with a pick exclusively for a few years. There was no way I could get as clear and punchy sound out of my Precision and SVT with two bottoms playing finger style so I learned how to pick. The most thunderous pounding off stage bass I have ever heard was a Jazz through an SVT played with a pick. With the technology these days, though, finger style is more of an option. I don't use a pick much anymore, trying to minimize my gear. hahahahhohoh ouch

13. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    There is no such thing as "something for guitarists",IMO at least...why should someone be constricted like that?Thinking like that you only have less choices.If it sounds good to you,then use it.If it doesn't,don't.But don't reject other players who may find playing with a pick interesting,just because "it's for guitarists".

14. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    It's funny how attitudes dictate whether to pick or not more than the end result. A guitarist I was playing with was somewhat disappointed that I switched to a pick because he said "there was just something about a bass player using their fingers". I was just trying to get a certain attack and punch that would cut through gymnasiums and arenas with wild booming acoustics. Besides the end result I was after, I didn't have a problem using a pick because I always thought it was cool the way a guitarist would pick out lines on a bass. So in a way I was imitating a guitarist playing the bass, even though guitar was never my instrument. I don't know how it ever became so unfashionable to use a pick. Is versatility uncool?

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I basically only use my fingers, but voted for both because I wouldn't hesitate to do it if the tune called for it.

Will C.:cool:

16. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i use a pick, i screw around playing with my fingers every now and then, but when playing in front of people or with others, im definetly using a pick.

also, i was very surprised after i voted to see only 1 other person voted for pick. where are all the pick players at?

17. Qintar- I'm right here!!! (the pick players). Im glad to see im in good company with another Meat Puppets Fan.

I dont know I made the switch from Guitar to Bass, and was very impatient (I know its wrong) to start from Square One (not that I was much further along) and play with my fingers. Dont get me wrong I'd love to do both, but at this point I am trying to excel on my bass the best I can, and devoting all my attention to one style of hitting the strings, the pick is getting me their faster, letting me spend my time on other areas that are more fundamental.

18. Don Fabrizio

Don Fabrizio Guest

Jan 27, 2001
    I never said, that I reject players, who use the pick, Dragonlord!

19. When playing w/ my band I always use a pick, I've tried playing with my fingers many times, but there's no way I can do it, we have some VERY fast thrash songs. But when I'm practicing by myself I almost always use my fingers, especially when noodling around and doing theory, etc. I don't really like the sound of bass with a pick, but it makes playing so much easier.

20. I use whatever the song needs, and since Im in a punk band, its usually a pick, but I play much better with my fingers