Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll:Pre-amp for a houge sounding '78 J bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Sadowsky outboard

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Aguilar outboard

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Sadowsky OnBoard

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Bartolini OnBoard

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hallo guys,
    after 1 month spent with my '78 Baby,I've decided to add a pre-amp.When played alone it seems it doesn't need it,while playing at gigs a little bit of more Lows and Highs would be usefull.
    I would prefere an out-board,due to the Vintage thing,but my luthiers told me that it works less(obiouvsly);so an on-board will probably my choice(who cares...I'm not a collector,but a player;and I'm going to keep that J bass for a long,long time).

Your suggestions,experiences,ideas are very apreciated;)

1. [/list=1]

2. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    ....ah,I want only basses and highs

3. I would go with a Sadowsky on-board, especially since you are planning to keep/play the bass. I have an Aggie on my Modulus (which I also like) and have had Barts and prefer the simplicity and clarity of a boost only system.

If you want to use the preamp on other passive basses, the Sadowsky floor model is great. I have a good friend that uses on with a Fender MIA and it makes a great difference in his ability to project.

Good luck!
    Jeff

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Does your amp not have an EQ onboard? Try that first.

5. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

Thank you PhilBicker for your interest.
    Of Course my amp have EQ(it is an Eden WT500),and it works very very well!
    But,after acouple of gigs,I feel defenately the need to get the bass Active.Even if a boost the basses and the highs a lot from the amp,I can feel it is not the same thing as having it active.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    my vote goes for this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that's the j-retro preamp, www.j-retro.com

you can have a lot of info here:
    http://pub41.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm2

there is a stomp box version too:

[​IMG]

ps if you are interested in this one please let me know, as you know i live in italy and we could order together.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Marcus' bass has a Bartolini preamp.

8. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Cool Barroso!Ciao!
    At a first look the J-retro pre-amp seems perfect:no new "holes in the body of my baby" :D :D :D

But:
    1st of all I would like a "bass and treble" pre-amp,while the J-retro has mids too;
    then I have no idea about how it sounds:confused:
    Instead I've used the Sadowsky for 3 years,and I have tryed many Bartolinis equipped basses(inclouding my '91 Tobias of course).
    Stay Well!

9. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

........mmmmm:confused: :confused:
    I don't know....
    Marcus himself is not very clear on this point....
    For what I have understood it should be a Bartolini,but modified by Roger

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    50 years from now, Marcus's preamp will become an Urban Legend if we don't figure this out now.

I'm not sure, but I thought I heard that it was actually a Stars Guitar preamp that was modifed and installed by Sadowsky. The pickups may have been the original stock pickups. can anybody confirm?

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Marcus' bass was modified by Roger, meaning Roger set it up and installed a Bart preamp.

It's been documented...I've seen an interview within the last year (I can't remember where) where Marcus himself admits to this...

12. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

RAM,
    ...I hope you are right 'cos in this case I'll have the same Marcus's pre(being Bartolini my 1st choice for the moment)....
    but still I'm not very sure.
    Gfab333
    I've heard about this unknown StarGuitars too.....
    it's one of the 4-5 possible hypotesis.

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I would also highly recommend the J-Retro. If you want to 'project' more, it usually means the mids. J-Retro has variable mid frequency boost/cut - just perfect for this. Bass is boost only (which is what you said you wanted), and it also has treble boost. No mods to the bass - take out the old control plate and pop in the J-Retro.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, Roger's a TB'er...why not post a message asking him?

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Better yet...here's a link to Marcus' website...check this out. He says exactly the same thing...

http://www.marcusmiller.com/

Click on the question mark on the left hand side of the main page...that's the FAQ section. Then, click on the line item called, "Instruments, equipment, and Technical Stuff".

If that doesn't prove it, I don't know what will...;)

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IMO you'll get nothing from an onboard preamp that you couldn't get from the preamp on your amp. I know that some amps (like mine - a '66 Fender Bassman) have very limited EQ sections, that's why I asked about your EQ. A treble boost is a treble boost, whether it happens on the Preamp in the amp or the preamp in the bass is irrelevant (depending of course on the boost frequencies involved).

IMO it would be a crime to modify a '78 Jazz Bass, which is IMO a truly classic instrument. Have you thought about trying something else that may suit your needs better? There are a lot of really great active jazz bass clones, and many of them aren't overly expensive. What you have in your hands is an absolutely classic passive bass with a vibe and sound that is distinctive and wonderful. Why gerry-rig it into a modern sounding active bass? Why not just get a modern active bass to begin with? You should be able to recoup most of your investment in the '78 Fender.

I've been playing bass for over 20 years, and I spent a lot of that time as a big fan of active EQ. In the last few years I've abandoned actives and spent more time working on my technique and use of the limited EQ on my amp to get "my sound". I now believe that the many years I spent pursuing active electronics was a "wrong turn" in my development as a player. I found that for me there are better ways to get good sounds than adding additional electronics. I've ripped the active EQ systems out of the basses that I installed them in and sold my active basses and now I'm much happier.

My next project is to get my technique perfected to the point that I don't need a compressor, even in the studio. Totally control my dymanics with my fingers. Sounds cool, huh? I'll probably be working on that project for the rest of my life. :)

So I guess I'm recommending an outboard EQ if you decide that you absolutely must have one, but remember, there's really nothing that an outboard EQ is going to do that you shouldn't be able to do with your amp. (unless of course you're going for the ear destroying mega-treble extreme smiley EQ that requires over 12dB of boost at high frequencies).

17. I own an Eden Navigator, and if you cant get the highs and lows you want from an Eden ..... I dunno. My Fender FMT 5 is 18v active, and I keep it set flat on the bass, cause the Eden does the job, even with just a few clicks on the EQ. I know some people who say the Eden is overkill .... I prefer "versatile."

What cabs are you using? Dunno if it really matters, but it might.

Leave your bass alone!!!!

Greg

18. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

19. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

20. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso