Poll: Ron or Ray?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by peteroberts, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Ron

2 vote(s)
  2. Ray

9 vote(s)
  1. which bassist do you prefer? I love them both, and it's hard to choose, but I would probably pick Ray. His bass playing seems to come more from the heart, where Ron sounds to me like it's more from the head.
  2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ron's tone sucks. Ray's tone is to die for. To quote someone else: "I'd love to play like Ron but I'd hate to sound like him".

3. JPBass

Aug 31, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Like choosing between beer and whiskey. Both different, both great!
  4. dude, keep listening. you think the tone on 'Miles Smiles' and 'ESP' sucks? I'll give you the record he did w/Tony Williams and Herbie Hancock (Third Plane, sounds like crap), but his early acoustic tone is pretty good (albeit not as good as Ray's).
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And why do we have to choose!!:confused:

I am quite happy liking both for differnet things and having as many CDs as I can, with either playing! :)
  6. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I agree Ron's early acoustic tone is nicer - not as good as Ray - I have recordings of him with Tony and Herbie (Empyrean Isles for example) and I don't mind his tone there.

Read what he says in the latest BassPlayer magazine - I personally can't agree with what he says about tone.

His amplified and recorded tone nowadays though is just not my cup of tea.

7. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Ray Brown is no doubts a great bassist with great time and tone. To me, he's not really a great innovator like Ron Carter though. Although the comparision isn't really fair considering Brown came up during the early bebop era and Ron atleast 10 years later.

8. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm with lovebown, both on RC's innovation and that they're not really comparable. Let's enjoy 'em both.
  9. I do enjoy them both! I listened to some Ron & Ray last night...Oscar Petersen's 'We Get Requests' has some great bass playing on it. I definitely prefer his tone. Ron's is a little boomy. And yeah, his electric tone is not so great.

Ron definitely has the chops, but he probably listened to Ray growing up. Each generation can take it a step further.
  10. Like Ron, love Ray.

For tone, time, swing, all-round musicality, and his apparent down-to-earth, lack-of-ego personality, Ray was the man.

Hey, I'm a geezer. For me, some of the younger guys with the three alarm chops don't have the musical sense Ray had. YMMV.
  11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    In the Ray Brown Trio, and countless other recordings, I prefer Ray Brown.

In Miles' groups, or any duo/trio containing Ron Carter, I prefer Ron Carter.

In the Beatles, I prefer Ringo.

And so on.
  12. I listen to Ray the most, but Ron is the guy that played the lines that made me want to pick up the DB. I didn't know it was Ron at the time but . . .Wes Montgomery's So Much Guitar was the first first jazz disk that I liked, Ron Carter was one of the reasons I liked the disk.
    These days I am more of a Pettiford fan.
  13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Okay, the thread has been edited to exclude all negativity and silliness. Let's see if we can make this work. Whatever happens, don't say anything that might even possibly be construed as being silly and/or funny: internet forums are SERIOUS BUSINESS. :rolleyes:

Back to the original question, I like both for different reasons, and can't say I prefer either.
  14. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    neither, I prefer Brian Bromberg

15. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    That wasn't one of the choices, Nick. and no silliness!
  16. Dondi

May 3, 2003
    Sorry. I didn't mean to spoil everyones' fun.
    I'll be going now. I'm going to have to go talk to the electric players now.
  17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Ah, the BG forums, where all attempts at sillines and humor, "shooting the breeze" and asinine polls are strictly forbidden. Yes...that will be a great option for someone who likes their threads deadly serious and completely on topic. Enjoy! :)
  18. I personally prefer Ron, I dont know why but Ray never caught my attention, but Ron always does. I also like his tone, his constant slides, and I personally like that boom. He is also great on "Piccolo" which in my opinion is one of the top ten Jazz records.
    On the other hand I have not heard enough of Ray, and I know he's been playing forever. Most of the stuff I listen to is 60's and 70's post bop which has a lot of Carter.
  19. Dig Wilbur Ware

Dig Wilbur Ware

Mar 7, 2003
    I prefer many others.

But what about Ray or Percy? I'll take Percy.
  20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Oscar Pettiford's my guy.

No slight on Ray or Ron.