1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poll: seated position and you!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Seiki, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Fretted: on-thigh

84 vote(s)
    68.3%
  2. Fretted: classical

34 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Fretless: on-thigh

31 vote(s)
    25.2%
  4. Fretless: classical

17 vote(s)
    13.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. So I was having a discussion with someone, and in short, it causes me to wonder if on-thigh or classical posture is more popular, and if there's any correlation between fretted and fretless players.

Personally, I play fretless primarily and play with a classical posture. I feel that it assists with keeping P4 double stops intoned, which is a problem on fretlesses due to awkward wrist/hand alignments when the arm is extended. I also tend to move all over the neck too, and I feel this posture gives me greater overall mobility.

Edit to clarify confusion: classical posture is, if right-handed, seating the bass on the left thigh, angled up with the same sort of angle seen on typical standing players

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I'm confused by what you mean - I think of "normal" (when playing right handed) as on the right thigh and "classical" as on the left thigh.

3. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    Am I sitting on a couch, or an arm-less chair?

The actually seat has more influence than the presence of frets. IMHO

4. ESPweasel

ESPweasel

Jan 6, 2016
    Charlotte NC
    Fretless "classical" or just not on my right leg. Where's the bass when you stand up?

(Not sure why the fretted vs. fretless either)

LOL pulled from web...

health-part-2-photo-2.

5. The distinction between fretted and fretless was included because wrist/finger/arm alignment is a little more critical on fretlesses, especially when playing perfect 4th or barred chords since there's no frets to align everything for you.

So far the results are looking interesting :) I reasoned that look like this so far, but I know no actual "serious" bassists around here (where I live, if someone plays bass, there's a 95% chance they play 00000000000 post-punk)

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I play both my fretted and fretless in traditional position. I have a student who prefers classical, he's the only bassist I have met who plays this way. That is, of course, not counting people who started on classical guitar because I know one or two of those guys. I am actually kind of surprised at the results right now. Three fretless players play traditional versus four who play classical.

For what it's worth, I play with a lot of chords and double stops too. I just do not find classical position as comfortable but I might just have to give it a shot again.

ESPweasel likes this.
  7. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Invalid poll. No carrots option.

I play with it strapped almost as high as possible like a dork.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    quickfix, Geri O, EMoneySC2 and 2 others like this.
  8. Gotta say, I'm quite interested in how there's such a dominant preference for fretteds to be played resting on the thigh while fretless is dead even. I didn't fathom such a difference

9. I play with the guitar or bass on my left thigh, but everyone seems to think it's supposed to go on your right knee.
    I find using the right knee to just be uncomfortable, but it's probably because I started playing in a chair with arms & I couldn't get the butt of the axe that far to the right.

ESPweasel likes this.
  10. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I don't know what the classical position is.
    I play left handed and I rest it on my left thigh

11. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I would like to know too as I am an amputee lower left leg and I plan to gig again but don't think I will be able to stand on my prosthesis for 4 hours..

12. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Get it!

I'm a quadriplegic (ok, technically a tetra, but most people don't know what that is), and I've regained lots of strength and mobility since having my spinal cord crushed 5 years ago at the c3/4 level. I'm more limited on my left side, and I'm a right handed player. Because of my disability, I tend to rest my fretted (God help me on a fretless) bass on my right thigh. It makes the left arm reach much easier. However, as my strength and range of motion returns, I've recently found myself able to play in a classical style again. I found that classical posture aligns the bones and muscles in a way that allows better movement in some sections of the fretboard, but still limits me from reaching all the way to the first fret easily on a 34" scale bass.

ESPweasel and Kukulkan61 like this.
  13. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Thank you for sharing, glad you got some strength back, it's gonna be awhile before I can even play as I'm still slinged up from rotator cuff and torn bicep surgery, I would rather be keeping the chops up instead of spending a lot of time on this forum like I do..I'm not even settled into wearing my prosthesis yet because of complications so can't walk can't crutch just wheel chair bound for now...

monsterthompson likes this.
  14. ESPweasel

ESPweasel

Jan 6, 2016
    Charlotte NC
    See pic above...You're playing "Fretted: on-thigh"

Right?

hqdefault.

15. stringtapper

stringtapper

Jun 24, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Using the "classical" position ensures that when you stand up there is as little difference between sitting and standing as possible, which is very desirable from a technique standpoint.

16. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Does it? If you have it strapped super high on your chest it might. My strings are typically at hip level, so playing on my thigh is closer to when I'm standing.

Remyd likes this.
  17. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    If by "Classical" you mean between you legs, I was never shown to do this by an instructor or by books\videos. Unless I am working high up the neck, it feels super awkward to me. I prefer to play standing, but if I'm sitting, my bass is on my right thigh. I never feel 100% comfortable sitting, so if I need all of my speed, I stand.

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Since I usually perform standing up, I try to get the instrument in that position when practicing sitting down (or actually - while sitting down. I don't have to practice sitting - I kind of have that down).

19. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

I am not sure what to call the position shown in the pic, but when I play seated, I have my bass positioned like is shown in the pic, the lower cutaway over my left thigh. It works for me, I can't get comfortable with it over my right and it REALLY distracts from my playing.

ESPweasel likes this.
  20. kopio

kopio

May 8, 2012
    Boise, ID
    This....I'm always strapped if I can help it...and yes I play my bass high like a dork as well.

Nev375 likes this.