Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: Should I get a sport bike?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tash, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Yes! Bikes rule!

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No, you should stick with your cars.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Are you crazy! You'll kill yourself you freaking idiot!

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm thinking of replacing my track/auto-x car with a sport bike. My reasoning is basically that a bike will give me far more speed for the money due to the reduced support costs of a dedicated track bike compared to a race car.

I know several people on TB ride bikes of various kinds, so I'm looking for advice.

PS: rig transport and other practicality issues are not a concern as I will be keeping my Tib or some simillar vehicle for day to day use.

PPS: I haven't ridden a bike since I was a kid, I will be taking an MSF course and buying a cheap, low power sporter to become comfortable with riding before I get a faster track bike.

2. If you already have track experience and are comfortable, and take the safety courses, and respect the bike in general, I don't see why you shouldn't.

Only thing is you tend to grow a "bigger pair" being in a safety cage-equipped racecar, and you simply don't have any of that with a bike, so be careful, and again, respect the machine.

3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Bikes are fun, but they're very dangerous, however good you are you can't account for every wanker on the road. Understand that and you might last a while :) Have fun with it, and always be careful.

tom

4. 40 years ago I was the pit crew for a friend who road raced. We were at the Marlboro, Md track one weekend for the road race on Satuday and flat track on Sunday. Friday night we were at a local watering hole and talking to another racer. After about a half an hour he figured out that we were in the road race. He looked at my friend and said, "You road race?!! Man, I wouldn't do that. You could bust your ass doing that!" My friend looked at him and said, "You flat track?!! Man, you're crazy. You could bust your ass doing that."

It all a game and the key is to learn how to play the game successfully. That includes not getting unreasonably hurt. You're a heck of lot safer racing on a track than you are cruising most highways on a bike these days.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As a bike lover, I still don't like Sportbikes, that's just me. Have had family members severely mamed by them and a friend's brother was killed in an accident. Not even racing.

6. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    get a suzuki and the first day go to your parents house and do a standing wheelie down there street at 130mph :p that's what i'd do

7. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    depends how you ride them just because some people are stupid on them makes them less safe than on any other bike

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Actually they are less stable than Harleys and other cruisers. Sport bikes are light, and you're not, therefore a higher center of gravity: easier to fall.

Yes, it depends on the rider and the terrain, BUT statistically, cruisers are safe.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And this coincides with my statement... It's the rider that usually is responsible for their death. LOL.

It's also less tempting to do this on a Harley.

10. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    can a harley even do a stading wheelie?I'll put that on my list if i want to commit suicide :)