Poll: Should I leave my band?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PeaveyTNT, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
  2. No

0 vote(s)
  3. Play with other people, then decide.

12 vote(s)
  4. Threaten to leave to see if they straigten up or not.

3 vote(s)
  1. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    I just realized that I have no fun playing with my current band. I like playing a mix of punk and funk...My current band is wierd... They call it punk, then they call it rock, then it is greenday meets 3 doors down...

I'm just not allowed to bust out properly... The guitarist has funky arse strum patterns that he claims do not mess him up, but get us all off beat. The drummer says he is good, but plays variations of the same beat all the freaking time. He is uninteresting.

We have been working on the same damn songs since november all because they guitarist always wants to change them. We should have been gig-ready months ago.

My question to you is should I leave?

Also, telling me ways to tell them that I am leaving without totally pissing them off would be a good thing.
  2. How about "So long Suckers!"

If it's no fun for you now, it probably won't be any fun for you later. I think you answered the question yourself.
  3. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    True, but these guys are some of my few friends at school. I don't meet people easily either.
  4. Tell them what you said here. don't say your'e thinking about leaving yet, but present them with your thoughts, and ask them what THEY think about where the band is at, and where they want to go. if they don't have the same goals as you, then you might be better off putting your energy elsewhere.
    good luck, man.
  5. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    I have done that.

They just ignore it though...

I am always the one that gets everyone to shut up at practice so we can start a song, without me, they wouldn't get far at all.
  6. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    Well, screw them.

I just called to talk to them and tell them I think that I might leave. Here is the whole conversation:

Get daniel on the other phone.

"K. DANIEL, Get on the other phone!"

Hey, I think I am going to leave the band. I am just not down with the style being played.

"Fine, F*ck off."

Maybe it is just me, but that seemed a tid bit unfair. They didn't even give me time to explain...

Oh well... do they really deserve a talkbass.com grade bassist anyways?
  7. I would tell them how you feel and than show them this post that you made and all our comments and see what they have to say..If nothing else replace the guitarist if hes the problem!!! They are easy to find they are a dime a dozen.... Good luck let us know what you decide.
  8. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    the guitarist and drummer are brothers.

screw them. dont need them.
  9. You made the right choice. Anyway how old are you ? If your young it's not a big deal. They don't realize bassists arent all that common as guitarists....
  10. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    I'm 15.... I just have a problem finding good players...
  11. Maybe thats why. I'm 16 and the only good players out there are like my friends band "Bedlem" who are metal. They have a bassist and guitarist my age. The guitarist has been playing for 8 years and i GREAT, bassist is good and the singer is wonderful. They have a freshman drummer who has been playing for 6 years and is damn fast. They even have scouts come to thier shows and arent that far from being signed....
  12. We couldn't keep a drummer to save our lives. It's mostly cause of the "guitarist" who can't play anything without being distracted, getting mad, or just blaming everything else but his own incompetence. I can't kick him out cause he's my brother and I can't leave cause noone in my town likes me. But that's my problem, where do you live and maybe we can start a band together? Sound good?
  13. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    I live in california... But my step-dad was raised in ohio. That means we are practicly borthers. I'm sure my mom would let me go live with you for a few months :p
  14. I've been playing for 3 months now,well 3 or 4...and I think I am ready to start a band...I'd like to start with covers and make songs along the way...the main reason I wanna start so early is because I'd have experience with me.

I am in a related problem with you guys though. there is not many people around where I live that wants to play the music that I want to...there are some,but most a A$$ holes...

Back to the matter at hand though,I think you should quit...if he is rude enough to say "F*ck off" after you being really nice and polite...then take his advice...you dun them,I mean sure it'll be a rough few weeks with them,but things will get better...find another band!

15. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    The cool thing is, I know of like 4 bands that would let me join. And I have 2 friends that want me to join their bands... I am just the popular bassist nerd :bassist:
  16. Well brother we don't have any extra rooms but you could sleep on the floor.:p But you should leave the band you're with, go join one of those other ones and make milions of dollars find those guys again and rub it in their faces. :p
  17. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    I should...

But they would probably shoot me.

You see, they have as much money as any average American family. They could afford a new house in the suburbs...instead, they rent this crap-shack that is like 100 years old. Chickens lived in it before them, it took them like a month to clean out.

It gets really dusty in there...I have do dust my bass every 10 minutes if I let it sit.

They smoke alot, so it smells really bad in there...

The boys always go to school smelling of smoke.

So, instead of getting a nice house that isn't going to collapse one night, they but lots of recording shiznit for their computer. They don't even record all that much...

But not that it is any of my business...

I like the floor, get me a plane ticket.
  18. tell them that they are smothering your musical wants and needs and that you cant express yourself through them. Its taking a toll on your playing and really frustrating you. You dont want to give them the wrong impression but you need to leave because of it. Your playing is important to you and without being able to express it the way you want to, it is taking away a part of your life, its taking away a part of you. Tell them that you have to leave the band, but at the same time, it isnt completly out of the picture to come back at another time to play with them.
  19. Sounds like they're a load fun. :D I wish I could record stuff onto my computer so I could make a web site and let people here. But Unfortunately we spent our money on the house, we didn't want it to collapse. :D I'm gonna go doodle some more. ROCK ON! :bassist:
  20. Obviously I meant "hear" not "here".