1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

POLL: Shuttle 6.0 Combo or Demeter Tube DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Get the Shuttle 6.0 Combo

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. Keep the Shuttle 3.0 and get th eDemeter Tube DI

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. Just use the Shuttle 3.0, it sounds fine.

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have a Shuttle 3.0 1x10 combo that I really like. It's all the volume I need for gigs without PA and plenty as a stage monitor with PA/Monitors.

I have a Modulus Q5 - fantastic bass. My current set up is very clean. Sometimes I'd like it just a little "warmer" for lack of better term. Not distorted, or overdriven, just warm.

There is a nice Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-210 combo at the local store. The tube pre in the Shuttle is nice. I don't NEED all the power, the 2x10 is a little beefier than my 1x10.

A 2nd option wold be to get a tube DI to use in front of my amp, and for gigs where I don't use a stage amp - like at church. I'm thinking that the Demeter would be a good one.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The 210 combo is just small enough that you'll think it'll be fine to move but just big enough that I know you will get sick of moving it and end up selling it again! ;)

Alex

3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That thought is what has kept me from making the move. I'm thinking the Tube DI would be more practical...

4. makes more sense to me too

5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Another DI to toss in the mix is the Radial JDI. On the BassTasters page it sounds as "warm" as the tube DI's.

Could this be possible, just a plain, passive DI. There's nothing there that would cause a "warming" of the tone is there??

6. Since I bought my JDI I've rarely used any other DI. I love it, engineers love it, and it very accurately captures the sound of the instrument.

7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Do you use your Epifani/Shuttle amp DI when live or do you use your JDI and go to your amp and FOH from there?

8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I answered my own question. This is from a thread on the Radial JDI:

"The thru is just wired in parallel to the input."

So nothing is happening to "sweeten" the signal to the 1/4" out. The XLR benefits from the Jensen I suppose.

So far it seems I should go with something like the Demeter - sweetened at both the 1/4" out and the XLR.

9. Will you be able to try before you buy? I'd hate to see another poll thread next week. :D

10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think there's a Radial JDI in at the local place, but nothing else. No high end stuff like Demeter or REDDI, or even SansAmp. I am in the boonies out here.

11. There is no or very little tonal impact of the wonderful Radial JDI. That's the whole point. It's about as pure of a passive pass through as you can get, and is designed to accurately convey the tone of an active bass to a board. I don't think that's what you want.

Not sure what to recommend. I don't find the Shuttle 6.0 that particularly 'warm', and you wouldn't want to send a post EQ DI to the board in most cases anyway, so that would not help your direct tone. I'm also not sure how much a tube DI will really impact the tone going through the 1/4 pass through to your amp. I'm just not sure there, but the idea of using a DI (tube or not) for a job that's more typically handled by a preamp is not that appealing to me.

It seems like the answer would be a nice pedal to warm up your tone going into the amp, that would then be captured by the pre EQ DI out of your Shuttle 3.0. The Sansamp VT gets all kinds of raves on the thread for doing just that, and I guess it's a DI also... bonus!

Edit: If you do go the Shuttle 6.0 combo route, I would highly recommend the 112 over the 210. Besides being smaller, it sounds much more even and all around nicer than the 210 to my ear when I A/B'd them a while back.

12. Just my skepticism and superstitions at work, but I get queezy with more than one cable at work. :D Do you like the sound of the 6.0 combo, using the Modulus and any other instrument(s)? If so, that'd be my recommendation...covering both live sound and DI/reinforcement duties. And speaking to the former, it'd give you more oomph than you currently have. Even if you don't need it now, you'll be set if you encounter a bigger room or louder stage mix.

13. +1 Every bone in my body feels that some of the 'clinical' nature of the tone that the OP is hearing is coming from using a too small of box, versus the amp or the bass. A little more watts, a bit of tube, and a nice 112 box that is large enough to provide at least a better balance between hi bass and mids would probably be the simplest solution.

I hate 'preamp pedals', etc myself, but offered that up as a possible solution anyway.

14. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's why I was thinking the 2x10. Although, as Alex pointed out, it is a little bigger than I want to haul around and I might become disenchanted with it. When I ran my Shuttle into the PA at church it sounded great - stereo 18" subs, 3-way system, lots of headroom, a little compression and BBE processing. Hell, I sound great at church through a CBI DI box.

The other store in town is a MESA dealer - Walkabout Scout? Thing is it's bigger, heavier, and doesn't have a pre/post DI. I don't have a lot of (local) choices. The 2 big names are Genz Benz and MESA BOOGIE.

I know you can only get so much out of a little box, but I really don't want to haul a big rig around again. I love my little combo - maybe I just can't expect anything more from it.

15. Sorry, I just found that pretty funny. :D

Try out everything you can and see what works for you...that's really the only way I know to make the right decision. If you haven't heard the 6.0 with the 12" cab, I recommend it and can offer that I absolutely love mine. Where I think we differ is that I wouldn't think of using that rig for anything except light rehearsals and gigs with small groups and/or small rooms. I know you've mentioned that your 3.0/10" has enough volume for you, but IMO it comes down more to the quality of the sound than the quantity. A single 10, for me, just doesn't give me enough meat to go with my potatoes. :) Also, I like controlling my tone - even if it is just a stage mix - and accordingly can't imagine not running through an amp. Additionally, even with a small amp, I don't like worrying about not having enough oomph for the room, hence my comment above about this truly being my 'small' rig. In that context, it sounds great. Beyond that, I wouldn't want to push it.

Anyway, rambling here...sorry. It sounds like you're not in a rush, and you have some options to explore. Good luck with the process!

16. Limpingbass

Limpingbass

Sep 19, 2008
    IL
    For the record, and I am sure KJung already knows this, Sansamp VT is not a DI.

17. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I'm sure the Demeter sounds great and maybe cost isn't such an issue, but I'm wondering, have you tried the SansAmp? Because it can do warm and although there's no tube in the path, it emulates one nicely without resorting to digital trickery. I use mine all the time: stage, studio, practice ... whatever. These days, I dial in most of my tone on the SansAmp and run whatever amplifier I'm using pretty much flat.

Plus you could get one of these and a Radial JDI for the price of the Demeter. Just sayin'. Can't speak to the Demeter, so you may well know something I don't.

18. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have tried Sansamp in the past and it was OK, but not great. That was a while ago, maybe it's worth a look. As you say, they are cheap and many people have good luck with them.

I only know what I hear about Demeter's DI. I did have a Demeter 201 preamp a while ago and it was nice, but pretty clean really.

I really don't want to get a bigger amp/cab yet. That is my last resort I think. Maybe I'll look for a used Sansamp and see. Who knows, maybe the 2nd time's the charm as they say.

19. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I voted the 210 combo before reading the responses. My vote strictly reflects that in my experience one will get more utility out of a moderately powerful rig than a wonderful DI. I finally had a bit of time to just play my Shuttle 6.0/NeoX 212T rig in my basement for an hour or so tonight. It was cathartic. If I had to give up either that rig or my fairly nice DI (Peavey VMP-2 tube mic preamp), it's no contest. For me a nice mid-sized rig has _WAY_ more utility than a decent DI.

KO

20. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    This seems to be the consensus, although Alex who knows me too well has stated a concern - that even though it is relatively small and light, I may get tired of schlepping the 6.0 2x10 combo around after being spoiled by my 18 pound 3.0 1x10. However, I think i need more than a pedal to get what I want and may have to suck it up and carry the 41 pound rig.

There also seems to be thought that a 1x12 would suit me better.
    As usual, I am confused. It's a good thing I don't HAVE to do anything immediately.