Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

[Poll] Spector vs. Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Feb 15, 2003.

Spector or Sadowsky?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2003.
  1. Spector

25 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Sadowsky

50 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Spector's are great...but I'm going with Sadowsky.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Both make incredible basses, have excellent customer service, if you have a problwem you can actually speak to Roger Sadowsky or Stuart Spector but it's truly apples vs carrots. ;)

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Having only enjoyed the pleasures of Mr Spector's creations - I gotta go with Spector!!!!! I'm unlikely to try Mr Sadowsky's basses, but one day I'm willing to try!! 'Til then I'll try Spector all the way!:)

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Than what do you care what we have to say?

Spectors VS anything, spector wins.

Just kidding. only my extremely biased view;)

5. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Just out of curiosity, have you played either? Last we chatted, you haven't.:confused:

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well, seeing as I have never played a sadowsky (i want to) and I love Spector, I said spector!:)

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    That's like comparing a shoe to a shirt. Both are wonderful, but cover different things (pun intended, bad one at that)

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    not at all! i think that is actually a very true, and in this case, useful analogy. it's like comparing an svt to euphonic audio... both are considered very good but in different applications...
    :bassist:

9. ...I think I've listened to enough Jason Newsted to get a feel for the Sadowsky tone :D

10. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! I LIKE THAT.

If there isn't a worse example.... :D

I really like the tone of both the USA Spectors and the USA Sadowsky (although I heard Nino say the Japanese ones are good too), but for totally different applications.

If I was playing metal = Spector.
    If I was playing jazz, funk, punk = Sadowsky.

(I love a Sadowsky P/J with a pick for punk)

If I was playing Hard Rock, I would personally have a hard time choosing either one. Both could work well.

This is just my personal preferences.

11. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    He's also used a Spector on s alot of recordings. But in that case, you're also listening to his amp, not yours, the engineers touch to the final produce, "King James, The Horrible" say to the final sound, etc....

12. My vote is for Sadowsky. I have yet to play one, but from the positive feedback I've heard, and the features and workmanship are tempting.

If only I had money.

But Spectors are beautiful pieces of art. I don't care for them, though. I've played a Czechtor P/J model (brand new) and I wasn't impressed...same with the ReBop's. I need mids!!!

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Right. He even used a spector for some songs on the black album

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Your joking right? you did not just say that spectors have no midrange. please tell me you didnt' say that.

15. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I find EMG pickups to be clean sounding (allow you the freedom to color your tone as you wish) with very little warmth in the mids.

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    From the Bass Player interview with Jason Newsted after Load was released:

"I used this '81 Spector NS 4-string, though, for most of the stuff. It used to belong to Phil Soussan, so it's been on a few Ozzy albums. It's quite a special instrument, and it's still got the goobers on it from recording Load."

Spectors are known for recording well...

"They have good growl and really good thunder. It's probably the best-sounding bass I've played for my style. But the P-Bass is the most workable-sounding bass. I also used a Zon fretless on "Until It Sleeps." I didn't get my Sadowskys until after we had mixed the record, but the Sadowskys are now the **** in my book. They've been very roadworthy, which has been a problem for me in the past. Roger built nine basses for me, and they all have a warm tone with great mids. They're basically a "turbo" Fender for the '90s. [Ed. Note: For more on Jason's Sadowskys, see page 42.]"

So the bass you use in the studio is different from the one you use live?

"Only because I don't know if I'll ever find one that records like the Spector or the P-Bass--but I haven't put them up against my favorite Sadowsky in the Bob Rock recording domain. I'm hoping to be able to use the Sadowskys both in the studio and live."

And in case anyone ever thought that the Metallica bass sound was just DI'd!!!

Can you describe that recording domain?

"We used three rooms to record the bass for Load. The smallest--which was the "crunch" room--had an old Gibson Skylark guitar amp, a 9-volt Marshall practice amp, and a MESA/Boogie 1x15 combo. The "meat" room, which was also the drum room, had two old Ampeg SVT cabinets with no horns, a '74 SVT head, and three MESA/Boogie 15s with SWR heads. Then, the low-end room--which I shared with James's "Tent of Doom"--had two MESA/Boogie 15s and a Fender folded-horn 1x18 cabinet that goes with the 400 PS Bass head. A solid-state Marshall 7400 head ran the cabs in the low room. I also used an Evil Twin tube DI to go into the board. All of that was blended together for most of the songs, and I stepped on different pedals. "

Alex

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Based on my experience, Sadowsky, hands down!

18. Sorry, I should have specified, the one I tried had no mids. And I even tinkered the Ampeg combo to my favored settings and it just didn't do anything for me...give me my Modulus Q6 anyday.

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i wouldn't kick either one out of bed...;)

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The mid range is such a wide frequency band that sometimes even though there are alot of mids, they just arent in the range you are looking for them at.

I personally love the upper mid range of Spectors!

Actually I love all of their sound!

Peace
    Nick