1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Poll: Tell about your worst bass neck problems. . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, May 7, 2001.

1. This isn't a poll with spreadsheet-based choices; I just want to know about neck problems you've had with basses.

I played a guy's fancy custom bass over the weekend with a thru-body neck and graphite reinforcement bars, which nonetheless had a fairly egregious dead spot at the 8th fret on the G string, a dip in the neck under the low "B" string, and a rattly 6th fret.

On the other hand, my humble parts P-bass has no graphite reinforcement, but has no dead spots, fret issues, or neck twists.

Related question: how do you try to minimize neck problems when shopping over the Internet???

2. JJR

JJR

Jan 7, 2001
    Idaho
    Well... I once had a Rickenbacker get it's neck snapped off when it got backed over by a truck. I also had a P-bass neck split right down the middle lengthwise (a dufas did a bad tuner installation... long story). And, I've successfully managed to snap three truss-rods over the last 20 years (all by myself, without any assistance at all! :)).

Other than that I've just had all of the usual problems such as dead spots, buzzing frets and the like. These things have almost always been correctable with a good set-up or a fret job or both. I have seen high-end basses go to hell in a hurry, and I have seen "cheap junk" stand solid no matter how much abuse you throw at them. Of course, the opposite is true with the same degree of regularity. I just chalk these problems up to "road wear" and "routine maintenance."

I usually get eye-strain when shopping on the internet ;). If your worried about possibly getting a bass with a pre-existing neck problem then all you can do is make sure that the source your buying from offers a return guarantee. There is really no way to know about a problem until you are holding the bass your hands.

3. the neck on my first bass, a '91 Korean Squier Precision, had what seemed like more deadspots than notes that sustained properly, and frets that wore down flat within a year:mad: