Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: Tell about your worst bass neck problems. . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, May 7, 2001.

1. This isn't a poll with spreadsheet-based choices; I just want to know about neck problems you've had with basses.

I played a guy's fancy custom bass over the weekend with a thru-body neck and graphite reinforcement bars, which nonetheless had a fairly egregious dead spot at the 8th fret on the G string, a dip in the neck under the low "B" string, and a rattly 6th fret.

On the other hand, my humble parts P-bass has no graphite reinforcement, but has no dead spots, fret issues, or neck twists.

Related question: how do you try to minimize neck problems when shopping over the Internet???

2. JJR

JJR

Jan 7, 2001
    Idaho
    Well... I once had a Rickenbacker get it's neck snapped off when it got backed over by a truck. I also had a P-bass neck split right down the middle lengthwise (a dufas did a bad tuner installation... long story). And, I've successfully managed to snap three truss-rods over the last 20 years (all by myself, without any assistance at all! :)).

Other than that I've just had all of the usual problems such as dead spots, buzzing frets and the like. These things have almost always been correctable with a good set-up or a fret job or both. I have seen high-end basses go to hell in a hurry, and I have seen "cheap junk" stand solid no matter how much abuse you throw at them. Of course, the opposite is true with the same degree of regularity. I just chalk these problems up to "road wear" and "routine maintenance."

I usually get eye-strain when shopping on the internet ;). If your worried about possibly getting a bass with a pre-existing neck problem then all you can do is make sure that the source your buying from offers a return guarantee. There is really no way to know about a problem until you are holding the bass your hands.

3. the neck on my first bass, a '91 Korean Squier Precision, had what seemed like more deadspots than notes that sustained properly, and frets that wore down flat within a year:mad: