1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poll: Tell us who you play bass with!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Miles_ONeal, Sep 9, 2019.

1. I play professionally in one or more bands.

284 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. I play for fun with one or more bands.

219 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. I mainly play at home with friends.

55 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. I play at church.

81 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. I mainly play at home with recordings.

96 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. I busk.

7 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. I play professionally in studios.

44 vote(s)
    8.0%
  8. I jam any chance I get.

65 vote(s)
    11.9%
  9. I play for special events (e.g., weddings).

62 vote(s)
    11.3%
  10. I play in an orchestra.

8 vote(s)
    1.5%
  11. I record, but not for money.

37 vote(s)
    6.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    I'm curious what the distribution is. I've been pleasantly surprised by the number of f/t pros who use this forum, but there are plenty of people who gig for free, play at church, only at home alone, etc.
    Everyone has their own path and pace, but ultimately you grow faster by playing with others. If you aren't playing with others, why not?

EDIT 1: "professionally" simply means you get paid for it. See note at bottom of this comment.
    EDIT 2: The term professional does not have to refer top full-time work, making a living, etc. Two of the three sub-definitions from Merriam-Webster's #2 definition fit as described above:
    a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs
    b: having a particular profession as a permanent career
    c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 10:28 PM
    Reedt2000, geof_ and JC Nelson like this.
  2. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    I played guitar professionally in a duo years ago. Not a lot, but we did get a few paying gigs. I played bass on a few songs as well, which years later gave me the confidence to step into a bass role at church when we needed someone.
    I have always wanted to play a Thunderbird, and now I do! (I occasionally play percussion as well- cajon or djembe).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Strictly a weekend warrior here. I play with organized bands, disorganized bands, and random people. I was playing in four regularly gigging bands for a while and it was a bit much. Right now, there are two bands and neither gets out much. But I also play with friends in informal setttings and the occasional band that gets put together for a show and then dissolves. I was playing weddings for a while somehow. It is a mystery how that happened but it was fun while it lasted. I suppose the number of bands who want you goes up when you play upright bass, Thunderbird bass, and drums well enough to fake it.

I sometimes even make a buck or two, but I sure wouldn't say that makes me any kind of pro.

4. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I play for pay (but it's not how I make my living) and fun, it's truly one of life's joys to make good music with nice people and coincidently have it turn into a successful band with a good working reputation.

5. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    So why didn't you pick "play professionally"? You get paid.

JJR58 and TBird1958 like this.
  6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Well, we do get paid, often very well but it's not how I make my living, in contrast to the true working professional musicians amongst us. - So I see it that way.

Miles_ONeal, NOVAX, Dabndug and 7 others like this.
  7. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Apparently I should have worded it differently. Tempted to start over now.

catcauphonic likes this.
  8. I have a band on the verge of gigging -- it has been a slog, what with the singer who couldn't sing, the bunny boiler drummer and the serial killer drummer. Being as we're cursed, I'm resigned to never making a cent from playing my Thunderbirds, but that's okay. I'm happy just to melt faces.

9. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    You’ll get there!

JJR58 and fasterpussycat like this.
  10. I dont play in bands. I get calls to play a gig and show up and play. I checked off the top box, but not quite accurate.

The Nameless, NigelD and Miles_ONeal like this.
  11. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I play with a seniors ukulele group, about 50 people (in my signature). We do gigs about twice a month.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  12. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    The top two would probably be me. I play for pay when I can, but I'll play for fun, too. Getting the opportunity to play is the important thing.

13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'm with Tbird - playing professionally means something different to me than simply getting paid.

In one of my bands, we're semi-professional - we have a booking agent and play for some decent cash. In another, I play for free though the band itself gets paid (university big band, all our funds go towards gear, workshops etc.). And yet another is simply an artistic outlet. Then I get the odd call for gigs, which do pay too.

Dabndug, IamGroot, LBS-bass and 2 others like this.
  14. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    If all members of both of the two originals bands I'm in were to combine every members pay per year, we'd still be waaay below the poverty level for a single individual income. So while we're getting paid, it's nothing remotely close to what professional implies... even if we were 2 of the most musically amazing bands on the planet, professional implies to make your living at it.

Dabndug, five7, Miles_ONeal and 2 others like this.
  15. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    I'm happy just to play. Haven't gigged in a long time. Maybe one day again.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  16. Weekend warrior, in between pro and fun. Playing along with recordings fills out the bulk of my music time.

I also go to jams, play with friends, record at home and busk! (I needed more votes :woot: )

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  17. I just play for fun. The only way I am making money with my THUNDERBIRD is if/when someone pays us to stop playing.

SactoBass, JJR58 and Miles_ONeal like this.
  18. I get paid playing, but it’s not how I make my living.
    Sometimes I make money recording at home.
    If I do the math, considering practice time and gear costs, I don’t make much per hour!

19. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I gig with one band, 1-2 times monthly. I occasionally get asked to sub for other bands, but never do, just simply not interested.

dmac1961 and Miles_ONeal like this.
  20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Not a fulltime pro but I make enough to pay bills and buy toys. 2 Bands, Studio and Special Events.

Miles_ONeal likes this.