Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: The Best EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by DrGroove, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Azola

41 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. BSX

17 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. Carruthers

7 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Clevinger

17 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. Conklin

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Steinberg

49 vote(s)
    21.8%
  7. ZETA

11 vote(s)
    4.9%
  8. Yamaha

11 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Some Maker I forgot (sorry if I did... )

69 vote(s)
    30.7%
  1. DrGroove

DrGroove

Jun 8, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What's the best Electric Upright Bass on the market today?

Why?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Although I own a Carruthers and like it a lot, I voted for Azola.
    I previously owned a basic BugBass, but wasn't extremely happy with the instrument overall.
    However, Steve Azola probably has the widest range of EUBs and options on the market.
    Original BugBass, Lightning Bug, BugBass II, Floating top Bug, MiniBass, Mini Baby Bass, Acoustic Baby Bass, he also builds the basses for Martin Clevinger, as far as I know.
    The Azolas are very kind.

3. I agree with Francois. I own a Carruthers but feel that the most DB like I have played was a floating top Bug Bass by Azola. Bill Merchant also makes great EUBs that are very DB like.b. If my Carruthers had the fingerboard cut like a DB (as it soon will) I would have voted for it.

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Not to dampen enthusiasm, but the best EUB for what? There is such a range of instruments available which are designed to appeal to double bassists, and others to electric bassists, with many in-between. Sound, feel, and look, are all part of the equation, so I can't vote for a "best" - not even my own homemade one ;)

5. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    I'll have to go with Bobby G. on this one. As far as emulating the acoustic, some are far better than others, while there are EUB's which are awesome "stand alone" instruments that don't really try to approximate the sound and feel of the doghouse. For the former, the German Vektor bass gets my vote in the "feel" category and the Ned Steinberger bass wins in the "not trying to be an upright" category. Has anybody tried the Impression Bass from Linc Luthier?

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Bobby G? BOBBY G??!??!?? You mean, as in ALL HAIL BOBBY G?

That must be what you mean, but somehow, it just doesn't sound right. :cool:

7. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    BOBBY G- the hip-hop alter ego of (All Hail) Bob Gollihur.

8. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Nobody has regularly called me Bobby since my mother, and she stopped about 40 years ago ;)

I think I missed mentioning one EUB I saw at NAMM -- and it deserves a mention due to its uniqueness AFAIK - the Conklin MEU.

[​IMG] Pardon my crappy scan - it's not shown being worn on the Conkin web site ( www.conklinguitars.com ) but is pictured. Kyth, the fellow in the scan, proudly showed me his seven string MEU - yes, seven strings! I tried it and was surprised at how comfortable it was to wear, and how easy to play- of course, action is low a la bass guitar. I put a pair of asterisks in the scan to show where the strap attaches. Unfortunately, I didn't audition it plugged into an amp and can't assess its aural delivery, but it felt and sounded good acoustically.

An interesting animal.

JT- Conklin should take the two photos of the MEU being worn and showing the strap that's in their brochure and use them on their web site; it's really hard to imagine the instrument hanging off your body without a photo.

9. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    A seven string MEU? Drooool...

It would be expensive, I would imagine. The MEU has received rave reviews - I almost bought a 5-string version about 2 years ago, but went for a much cheaper alternative...

Wait till John Turner finds out - he might go for a double-necked EUB ;)

10. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Yes, and I picture it with a neck on each side of his neck... and then we'll read of his demise as the result of a ghastly stage accident.

11. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    LMAO!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHEHEHEHEHHOHOHOH!!!

That made for a nice visual in my head!!! ROTFL!!!

12. It's like calling Henry Kissinger 'Hank'

13. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
  14. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    :)

Wow! That is one nice 7-string EUB. I was saving up for a 7-string fretless, but one of these would do just fine... I figure that since it's a custom MEU it would cost a mint. It's a beautiful instrument, and the reviews have been great. The neck is huuuuugggggeeeeee.

15. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey, Mr. G., does he use a bow on that there 7? How does the MEU sound when bowed?

16. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Yes, I also got a chance to bow it since I wondered how difficult it might be with seven strings in an arc like that. It wasn't bad at all, though I didn't hear it through an amp since it was occupied at the time with my son playing a bass guitar through it.

17. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
  18. This time I have to agree with Don.

At what point does it stop being a bass and start becoming a harp?

19. This is starting to sound like a BG thread...

"do you really need more'n 4 strings?", etc :D :D