1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Poll Time people...Vote for your Fav DI Box/Preamp...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dumbassist, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Sans Amp Programmable Bass Driver DI

25 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

31 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. MXR M80 Bass DI

13 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Fulltone Bass-Drive

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Line 6 Bass PODxt

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. Behringer Bass V Amp Pro

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Behringer Bass V Amp

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. Aphex Bass Xciter

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Radial Engineering Bassbone

9 vote(s)
    8.8%
  10. Behringer V-Tone Bass ??!!!

9 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Yea, its me again...:bag: im looking for some thing that will give me flexibility in my sounds...so i can dail any tone/sound i want...not really into effects...:meh: just for tone/ sound shaping... like a preamp or sumthing (you get the picture):D
    Too bad i can't afford the ebs microbass ll... WAY expensive for a noob like me...

ill probably go for a cheap behringer v-tone...but it looks so cheap and plasticy, ill probably break it the first time i use it!!!:D
    But no, seriously, i hope that the v-tone won't be an option...:help:

Explain your vote and why...

Thanks

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    impossible to make a recommendation without knowing your requirements, all pedals have their pros/cons. Do you want 2 band, 3 band, od or distortion, the ability to use the eq with/without the od or distortion. Do you need a DI etc.

3. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    just want a preamp like DI to set the tone and sund...no distortion... 3 band or more :D ...

4. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    *sound...my bad

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW, the Bassdrive isn't a DI and it's not quite a preamp either. I mean, it CAN give you a huge volume boost, but it will change your tone a lot while doing so, probably give you more distortion than you want.

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    It's not up there, but I'd suggest the Para Driver (Tech 21). It's just like the BDDI, but with a shiftable mid instead of presence. You can even shift the mid to the BDDI's presence freq!

7. My BDDI won the Pepsi challenge. I pitted it against...

Avalon U-5
    Aguilar 924 (no DI)
    Radial Bassbone
    Sansamp ParaDriver
    Assorted tube preamps

I use it for a clean boost in front of my amps. Love it, won't plug in without it.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup. The bassdriver, as mentioned, doesn't have DI. Or EQ, so why it's up there I'm not sure.
    If you want 3 band with DI, it's the paradriver or mxr m-80

9. IMO the EBS MicroBass II is the shizzit. Yes it's expensive, but so was the BDDI back when I bought it and it doesn't do half the stuff the MicroBass does!

Thinking about buying a headphone amp as well? The EBS has it built in. Thinking about buying a switch box to switch between two basses? EBS to the rescue. Thinking about a sweet overdrive, a tube sim or a blendable effects loop? Guess what!? And it'll do wonders for your passive bass(es) thanks to channel A's input impedance characteristics.

The bassbone seemed promising on the surface, but when you scratch away a little bit it falls down in a lot of areas.

10. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Must the thread be PERFECT??!!! Im a NOOB for GODS SAKES!!! i asked for opinions and critisism...

11. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    is what i get!!!!

12. All you get around here is opinions! People sometimes make the mistake of taking what's said around here as gospel, but literally all it is is a bunch of folks voicing their opinions. Nothing more, nothing less.

No, your thread doesn't have to be perfect, but people are trying to help you by offering opinions on DI boxes that you may not have considered. You also asked for people to explain their choice, so the way I see it you're getting what you asked for.

I was making a point about the EBS actually being really good value, despite it's somewhat scary price tag - that's all.

It's all good man, nobody's asking for the perfect thread! ;) It's just pretty rare to find consensus in these forums!

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Heres a move towards a consensus: I like the EBS alot :)

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Sadowsky Outboard Preamp/DI

It's been the key ingredient in my sound for 7 years. During that time I bought and sold a SABDDI. They aren't the same, true, but I found the Sansamp didn't give me what I wanted. I tried very hard to like it.

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Avalon U5

16. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I voted for the Aphex, cause that's what I'm using now, but if I were shopping I'd be looking at the Sansamp BDDI, or if I could find one, and old Joe Meek VC3Q. Huge recorded tone with that box.

17. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've been having good success with my sansamp acoustic di.
    It has sweepable mids which really helps for tone shapping.
    I don't think they make this unit any more, but you can
    find them used. (I think)
    I would like to know if anyone has done a head to head with
    the acoustic di and the mxr m-80. Just asking......

18. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    yea, mayb i overreacted...sorry...

hmm...kinda suprised that the mxr m-80 ain't so popular

19. you should include Sadowsky outboard pre.

that gets my vote.
    i've owned and loved.

why did I get rid of that!!! :rollno:

20. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I haven't tried very many, but the good ol' SABDDI gets my vote. There are way more useful tones in that box than one person could possibly need. I would like to try out the Homebrew Electronics Hematoma, though. I don't think it has a DI but I can get by with the one in my amp.