Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

POLL: Time spent practicing vs. time spent on TB?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DirtDog, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Much more time on TB than practice

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. A bit more time on TB than practice

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. About the same time on TB and practice

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. A bit more time practicing than on TB

14 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Much more time practicing than on TB

20 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    OK - be honest here -

As great a resource TB is, I'm sure theres more than a fair share of us who spend more time here than practice.

Where do you fit in?

DD

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I can honestly say much more time practicing, but then I have to count two rehearsals a week (one per band), about three hours each. If you mean practicing at home... well... ;)

3. I practice while I'm on TB. I just read posts and play stuff at the same time.

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    there's a difference between practice and rehearsel.

practice: getting your stuff down on your own time.
    eg, working on a part you are having trouble with or working out the inversions of Daug.

rehearsal: a group of musicians getting their stuff down together.
    eg, working through a song, picking out trouble areas, working through those areas 'til they are clean, then working through other trouble areas.

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that said, i spent about 8 hours on talkbass this weekend, none rehearsing, and hardly any time practicing.

wow, i suck.

6. i have to be honest ,more time giging than time practicing these days because of giging so much lately,we have a weekend off so i intend to practice like 3 hrs a day for the next two weeks,i have certain goals in mind and when we get back on the road i hope there is a considerable amount of growth,i hope not to waiste this valuable time i want to work my butt off the next two weeks in my basement practicing,so i will see you all in two weeks
    peace
    frank

7. Bace_Man

Bace_Man

Oct 27, 2002
    Dude

You've got to be kidding! ! !

Practice time for me always exceeds time on line for whatever reason; TB or otherwise. I firmly believe the ONLY way to improve on your instument is to spend time on it! ! !

8. I TB at work.

I tried to practice at work, but the items in the next offices kept falling off the walls.

So now I can only TB at work

and practice at home

and rehearse in the space

and gig at the clubs

and occasionally sleep.

9. Lately I haven't been playing my basses at all. :eek:

I know, I'm terrible. I've been playing my regular six string guitars trying to get good at the Blues.

Sorry.

Mike J.

10. theres no harm in that mike,as long as your playin the blues
    peace
    frank

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I am only on TB when at work (I don't own a computer) I read & post at TB when I'm on hold, on break, or theres nothing to do. I can't practice at work. So TB and practice aren't in competition for me. Time spent on these activities varies but is aprox. the same at an average of about 2 hours per day.

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'd say definately spend more time with bass-in-hand than on TB, but a big reason is cause I am holding my bass at all time when I am in front of the computer...multitasking!!

13. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    definately more time between rehearsing/practicing than on TB. Small bits of time on TB--which add up(during the day at work or later in the evening), rehearsing 2-3 nights a week on non-gig weeks.

interesting thread...

14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I practice more now, I used to spend more time here on TB, but now I try to spend at least 2 hours a day practicing.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I spend more time on TB... But that is because I check it at work.

I have a pretty crazy schedule, and I am usually lucky to get 15 minutes of practice in a day.

I am trying to change that though....

16. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    For me,TB is a way to wind-down AFTER playing.
    When I stash my stuff away after the gig or after I've run down whatever exercise or riffs I need to do by myself, or after rehearsal, I sometimes am not ready to let go of the bass guitar, even though I need to take a break from 'shedding or playing.
    That's when TB is the ticket for me.
    Amazing that the world at large does not discuss on a daily basis the gear, the sounds, techniques, etc. of the BASS.
    Sometimes I forget just what a cool place this is.
    Man, you can post about an axe or an amp or another players' incredible chops, and invariably someone will say "I hear that...PLUS...."
    Very Cool-
    Room for TB, playing, and practice.