Poll: What Class D Amp? (~500W)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassAndReeds, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Traynor SB500H

2.6%
  2. GK MB500

21.8%
  3. Mark Bass Little Mark

9.8%
  4. Aguilar ToneHammer 500

21.2%
  5. Get a 1x15 Cab to replace the 2x12

1.0%
  6. Other

43.5%
  1. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Hello,

I'm interested in a new Class D Amp Head to go with my Tecamp M212 (which is 4 ohms, 600 watts). I've been unhappy with the low end of my rig, which consists also of an Eden WTX-500. I am in 2 country bands, a Rock/Blues/Top 40 band, and am auditioning for Wedding/Corporate bands (which I may not use this head for, as many go DI to the PA). So effectively I need a good class D amp with good low end that'll handle country, classic rock, and Top 40. I'd like it around 5 lbs, I don't feel like lugging heavy equipment anymore.

Thanks,
    BT

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    dbase likes this.
  2. bassbooty

bassbooty -Rey Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    I recommend a TecAmp Puma 900 or Puma 500 (depending on your budget) to pair with your TecAmp M212. Used ones come up semi-regularly here in the TB Classifieds as well as on Reverb.com. I have a Puma 900 which I use with either a TecAmp S212 Classic or M212 Classic cab and there is no shortage of low end IME. Good luck with your quest!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  3. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'd suggest your auditioning the class "D" heads that are reported here at T.B. as having GREAT low end and heft to the notes.

Mesa Subway D-800 or their 800+, Genzler M-800, Quliter 800, and Aguliar's AG700.

The Mesa and Aguliar is said to have the better low end heft.

hopwheels, Joebone, Lo-E and 4 others like this.
  4. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Check out the Fender Rumble 500. As it is the best selling bass amp in the world, I'm surprised it isn't on your list.
    Go over to the Fender Rumble Club in the Amps & Cabs forum. Lots of good info and nice people that will gladly answer your questions.

dbbltime, Lvjoebass, edencab and 2 others like this.
  5. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    There are a lot of 500 watt amps about, my personal favorite would be the Ampeg PF-500.
    It's versatile and loud, and has that lovely signature Ampeg sound.

YMMV, IMHO, IME,

Wisebass, Lvjoebass, Helix and 4 others like this.
  6. HauntedDave

HauntedDave

Mar 7, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Trace Elliott ELF puts both my 410 and 810 to work.

Loring likes this.
  7. Any current class D minis are good, just depends on your individual preference.

I’ve personally had good luck with GK and Mesa, but all are fine choices you would be happy with if you like their voicing

Mark Andrew likes this.
  8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Could it be a combination of the Eden head and your current cabinet that is giving you terrible low end quality? Definitely try the head with your cabinet to confirm. Might simply need two identical cabs here and/or you hate the Eden tone

9. FMBassist

FMBassist

Nov 27, 2017
    Milford PA
    I use an Ampeg PF350 with two vintage B15 cabs, both are single baffle. Eminence Delta 15LFA equipped. Loud as hell and a lot of thunder.

lowplaces and jalapejoe like this.
  10. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Of your 4 choices, I would pick the GK MB500 easily over the Markbass and Aguilar. I have no experience with the Traynor. Although the GK can be sparkly, it still puts out a ton of low end. Good luck.

jeroenmaesen and Ductapeman like this.
  11. Bergantino forte’ or BI
    Forte is a little lighter (@ 5 pounds ) of the 2 heads

Either will give results you require as well as out to PA for more power if needed

I recently bought forte’ and 1-12 HDN
    Which weighs @ 25 pounds ; a one handed for me and I’m older

Bought this rig specifically for traveling with small footprint ; won’t take up much valuable luggage space

Overall I’d say Berg Head n cabinet is a very transparent system; what you put in...it puts out without coloring of its own

More expensive than some others

Good luck and please keep us posted

12. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man-

Too many choices out there for class D amps right now. Go try a few out and make your choice... good luck!!!

Mark Andrew and Lvjoebass like this.
  13. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts I like bass. And airplanes. Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have the m212 and my amp of choice is the Puma 900. I have tried to replace it with other amps with more bells and whistles but no small amp thumps and sounds as good or clean as the Tecamp. It's ok to use a higher powered amp with any cab. Just watch how loud you turn it. Mine has not even broken a sweat and it is a fantastic pair with the Puma 900.

bassbooty likes this.
  14. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I voted for the GK as I’ve had two in the past, both MB500 and Fusion. I picked up a Quilter bass block 800 a few months ago and IMHO it is the single best amp I’ve played, class D or not. I can’t possibly list all of the amps I’ve had over the years, but a few of my favorites are my GK 1001 RB, 800 RB, Genz-Benz ShuttleMax 9.2 and pre amps Yamaha PB1, Tech21 RBI and Demeter VTBP-201s to name a few. None of these are slouches by any measure, but I haven’t touched one of them since I got the Quilter. It’s a different kind of amp, but worth a look. In the end, it’s up to your personal preference.

jazzbass_5, Levin, interp and 2 others like this.
  15. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    +1 for the tonehammer. I love mine!

Kevnn4 likes this.
  16. I use a Ampeg PF-800 and two PF115HE sealed cabs, sounds fantastic, loud!

Lvjoebass and lowplaces like this.
  17. I voted “other”.
    If you want low end goodness check out the Quilter BB800.
    Just keep the master a bit below the 800 mark;)

Sixgunn, JoeWPgh, Levin and 3 others like this.
  18. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Tech21 Bass VT500

19. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Quilter 800

jazzbass_5, Sixgunn, JoeWPgh and 3 others like this.
  20. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Thats a really short list considering all thats available these days. Widen your radar and try some if you can. Good luck !