Poll: What Is Your Preferred Pickup Configuration?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Mar 2, 2001.

1. P

10 vote(s)
  2. P+J

28 vote(s)
  3. J+J

31 vote(s)
  4. P+JJ

4 vote(s)
  5. MM/G&L

5 vote(s)
  6. 2xMM/G&L

15 vote(s)
  7. J+MM

23 vote(s)
  8. single soapbar

3 vote(s)
  9. twin soapbars

41 vote(s)
  10. piezo only

5 vote(s)
  1. Okay, I can't see any polls for this so here goes;
    what is the pickup configuration you like the best- a single p/up for a good basic tone/ lots of space for slapping or two permitting tonal versatility/those hollow 2 p/up sounds? I think I've covered the main categories.
    P=split coil precision
    J=one jazz pickup(single coil or split/stacked coil humbucking)
    P+JJ=split coil P and double jazz humbucker (eg. Precision Deluxe)
    MM/G&L=one musicman or G&L humbucker
    2xMM/G&L=twin musicman-style or G&L humbuckers as on L2000
    J+MM=jazz and musicman-style(eg. Lakland/Peavey)

soapbar=any other style of magnetic pickup

I like the P+JJ setup at the moment (with coil selecting switch on the JJ).

ps. a lot of basses eg. Rickenbackers, Gibsons etc. will fall into the 2 soapbars category, I'm afraid (maximum of 10 options in poll) so posts explaining are welcome.....
    also, the Roscoe Beck 5 is strictly speaking JJ+JJ, but since there's no space for that it'll have to count as J+J.

arrrggghh- I've just remembered about the Lightwave system- any users of that will have to vote for "piezo":oops:
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

J + MM Not because it better than any other but it takes me around the neighborhood in drive and reverse.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    im partial to 2 j style, preferably stacked humbuckers...or even dual mm style.....1 p pick up just sounds to weak for me.
  4. :hurt tone:

There isn't a spot for "As many as can fit onto the body."

Rock on
  5. :D yeah, I should have included some extra options in case Bootsy Collins wanted to vote;
    and the all-time winner,
  6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
  7. I would have to go with a P and a MM or 2 Ps.
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Or if magnetics are the only opt, I'd go for versatility: 2 dual-coils and a piezo.
  9. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I say 2 Barts' soapbars !
    Why ?
    Because I don't know anything else ;)
    Just kidding.
    I have'nt try all the listed combinations above but my actual set up (hmmmmm Barts !) gives me more satisfaction than the mix of cheap P's, J's and soapbars I had before.
  10. For me, ideal is twin MM pickups. A friend built his bass with two MM (Mucho Massive :) ) pups, and I just LOVE the sound of the combination. Now if only I could get him to part with it :)

11. the closest to P + MM on here is P + JJ - the trouble is that there isn't enough space to get a P and an MM in their rightful positions on the body- either the MM's too close to the bridge, so you don't get the true stingray sound, or the P's too close to the neck.
    the P+JJ is the best compromise, IMHO, and that's what I put on my Warmoth P-style(with the JJ positioned so the bridge coil is where the bridge pickup on a Jazz bass would be).
  12. I like my idea of 6 stacked humbuckers, each with its one volume and tone control. Oh, and throw in a couple piezos
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My Dream config? Easy. Bridge MM humbucker with three way toggle, Piezo bridge, Neck J pup, and A mid postion soap, and, if posible, lightwaves (can you have a lightwave bridge pups with piezo bridge? That'd be 5 pups!

Course, the controls'd be nuts...
    MM- three way toggle and volume/tone
    Piezo- volume/tone
    J- Volume/tone
    Lightwave- Volume/tone
    Soap- Volume-tone
    master tone, volume and 4 band onbaord eq (can you tell I like tone knobs?...heck any knobs to fiddle with really)

The volume/tones would each be stacked (two knobs, one pot), that'd be 5 stacked pots, with another two stacked for the EQ, another stacked for master volume/master tone, and the toggle for the MM humbucker. Arranged near the bridge (not in a row like a Stingray) that'd be 7 pots, a toggle, and each pot would be pull/push active/passive. The control cavity would be HUGE and it would require it's own little reactor for power, but hey, it's my DREAM config...

In reality, a MM bart and a Soap Bart on one bass would be cool...
  14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Brendan, Lightwaves are incompatible with Magnetics. Besides, it ruins the whole idea behind lightwaves.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok...then strike the ligthwaves. I'm easy.:)
  16. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
  17. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Too bad the sliding pickup thing never really caught on 'cause it's really useful in getting a bunch of different sounds without a bunch of preamp/EQing/knobs-all-over-the-bass kinda stuff. Years ago I had a Westone with one, it got stolen but it sold me on the idea. These days I'm designing in my head a bass to be built this fall and I'm thinking a headless three octave fretted four string with one sliding soapbar. I think big part of the reason a Jazz sounds different from a Pre that sounds different from a Music Man is pickup placement. Having it all on one instrument would be kinda cool. Someone please tell me I'm not nuts with this idea?
  18. re. sliding pickups, I'm confident that with two sliding split coil humbuckers (eg. J style) you could get the holy trinity of precision, jazz, and stingray by altering the pickup selection and positioning- ie. both on full set apart for jazz, pushed together for stingray, neck J moved slighly closer to the bridge for Pbass tones. (an active circuit being necessary for the stingray sounds)
    but then there's the whole other can of worms of the tonal differences caused by coil and polepiece size......
  19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ... and another ancient poll is regurgitated from the vast maw of the TB archive...

Single HB. P, MM, G&L - whatever.
  20. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I own 1 J+J, 1 duble soapbar, and 1 P.. but i think the ideal configuration would have to be either the dual soapbars, or maybe a P +J.