1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poll - Which cabinet covering do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by R Baer, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Carpet aka "rat fur"

41 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. Tolex

63 vote(s)
    60.6%
  1. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    While I have my opinion on this subject, I am interested in getting feedback from the TB community on this. I know this has been talked about many times, so I'm really looking for the poll numbers here. Given the choice in cabinet covering which do you prefer?

Carpet:
    Pros - Very durable, hides dents and dings well
    Cons - The dreaded "fuzzies", holds on to cigarette smoke for days, makes an excellent beer sponge, cats would rather use a carpeted cabinet for a scratching post over anything else
    Tolex:
    Pros - great classic look, easy to clean, no bar smells
    Cons - durability not great, tears easy, shows dents and dings, generally looks horrible after years of road work

*Spray on coatings were left off the poll as the only finish I have tried that I like the look of is the Line-X product which adds considerably to the cost of a cabinet.

2. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I'm going with carpet. It's nice and familiar and that's what 80% of the cabinets that I've owned have had. I've had my share of tolex (Ampeg) cabs and even though I babied them they always seemed to get messed up in some way. I had a nice cordura Tuki cover for my 810 and in a matter of weeks, it had developed serious "balding." In some ways I think that the manufacturing methods and covering materials are slightly inferior to what was used in decades past and I thought it was totally inexcusable for the cab covering to fall apart as fast as it did.

I do have some Schertler powered speakers (PUB 2/280's) that have a kind of thick, rugged sprayed-on coating and while they're nice and super-durable, the surface is kind of slick and isn't great for setting things on that you don't want moving. I usually lean them back on their little foot stands (45ยบ) and at that angle, nothing will stay on top of them so I end up having to put whatever it is (preamp usually) on the floor. When I use them with the upright, I usually stack them vertically however so this problem is mitigated but these days I'm using them mainly for classical guitar and with them at an angle, it's a big pain.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Duratex

4. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    stain

5. aka Mesa Road Ready. Heavy but bullet proof!

6. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    +

But rat fur over tolex -- padded covers.
    Don't really play in bars anymore and leave the covers most of the time.

Yeah, Duratex

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't care if it tears easily or not...I like tolex and grillcloth waaaaaaaaaay better. Rat fur and duratex are very durable, but tolex is so much more pretty, wouldn't you agree?

Attached Files:

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    And worth every penny... :eyebrow:

MM

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 I am willing to pay more for a spray on lining. Durable and good looking IMHO.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Eye of the beholder, JM. To me, Tolex has always seemed cheap looking. If I couldn't get Line-X or Duratex, I'd get carpet - despite it being a magnet for smoke, beverages...and cats! :rollno:

MM

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Tolex, definitely. I have 15 cats at home. Cats scratch carpet, not tolex.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Offer a choice and let the free market decide. ;)

13. krall

krall Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Shediac, NB Canada
    Tolex

14. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I know what the pros and cons of Tolex vs. Carpet are and I still prefer Tolex by a
    wide margin over "Rat Fur".

George

15. I absolutely agree. I wish the poll included a bedliner-type option. I'm with MysticMichael and seanm on this one. I will happily pay the weight and cost difference for Line-X or a similar covering.

Further, though Euphonic Audio is apparently schizophrenic on the issue, I like protective, stacking corners in addition to the bedliner-type lining. Now, if Jim Bergantino and Andy Lewis offered Line-X coating, protective/stacking corners and large, deep-inset handles on all their speaker models...

Just my $.02.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

16. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+1 for Duratex. I love it. If you can handle a roller without injuring yourself, it's great.

17. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Of the two choices, definitely the Tolex. However, I love the spray on covering that's on my Dr. Bass (DRBASS) cabinets.

18. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    I don't have a cat and smoking was banned in public places in my state (CT) a few years back. Even if this wasn't the case, I can't imagine that I would ever prefer Tolex over the Rat's Fur. The Fur is durable and Tolex isn't. My Fur stuff looks as if it is new, my Tolex stuff... well, not as much. Some will mention the spray on liner stuff as being more durable, which is true, but as one who brings their equipment into the home (late at night), I would rather have the Fur brush up against the wall, a door frame, etc. with absolutely no affect, than the ultra durable, tougher than superman coating, look at me, look at me, let me leave my mark behind, I'll show you who's tough...

19. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    +1 Duratex,if this option is being left out,
    be prepared to loose market share..

2 cents

20. +1 LineX