1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poll: Which fretless should I buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Heisenbass, Feb 23, 2016.

Tags:

What should I buy

Poll closed Mar 1, 2016.
  1. Warwick

20.7%
  2. Sandberg

15.6%
  3. Fender

38.5%
  4. Fretless Carrots

25.2%
  1. Heisenbass

Heisenbass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi fellow TBers

So, I'm in the market for a new fretless. Budget is give or take € 1000. Prerequisite is: no fret lines, so the usual suspects, like Fender J, Squier, Sire will be out. Also, I don't care for active basses. Main use for the bass will be an acoustic cover set.

Currently I've narrowed my choices down to three options:
    • Warwick Corvette Standard Bubinga, new, € 1.099.
    • Sandberg California, used 2012, tobacco burst, Haeussel Pickups, passive, € 999 (new: € 1.500)
    • Fender Jazz Bass Special, MIJ, used mid-80s, PJ, white, black hardware, near mint, € 699
    Thanks everyone for your wisdom and advice.

EDIT: Should have mentioned: I want a four string.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Fender Japan jazz bass special fretless.
    image.

Beautiful.

3. Heisenbass

Jan 19, 2014
    Berlin, Germany
    Agreed. These ARE special. The only thing that makes me wonder is: why is there a pickup switch, when there's also two volume pots.

4. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It switches from P/PJ/J. With the switch in the middle, you can blend. Otherwise you can solo either pickup in the other positions. Quick and easy switching to the sound you want.

ShirazBop and Fxpmusic like this.
  6. Heisenbass

Jan 19, 2014
    Berlin, Germany
    Great. Thanks for clarifying. Just seemed redundant to me, but thats just because I don't really like bridge PUs soloed. On second thought, it seems useful actually.

99Z3 likes this.
  7. Ist, dass Sie aus Deutschland sind, sollten Sie für eine deutsche gemacht Daumen, werden nicht auf der Suche möglicherweise verwendet?

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't know how it works electronically, but with the switch in the middle, it allows for the most precise blending of any two pickup Fender. On jazzes or regular PJs with just two volumes, I've never felt like there was much blendability. It's much better with this one.

So you can have your PJ tone where you want it and with the flip of a switch go right to pure P without messing with volume control.

Heisenbass likes this.
  9. Heisenbass

Jan 19, 2014
    Berlin, Germany
    Sorry mate, didn't quite get what you mean. Seems my German is not good enough. Could you please repeat in English?

10. Being that you are from Germany, should you not be looking for a German made Thumb, used possibly?

11. Google Translate can be your friend!

Google Translate

12. Heisenbass

Jan 19, 2014
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks, thats better. Well, they don't come up that often, especially fretless. I think the Corvette has a fairly decent value for the money, even when bought new. Why would you prefer a thumb? Apart from that, I will happily buy used, if I come across something that fits the bill.

13. Oh.. In my opinion.. the Thumb is the best bass that Wick ever made.. esp the earlier ones.. nice small neck.. excellent tone and great build on the Thumb basses, even at the weight that they are at, they balance well!

Barbaric.Eric and Revolver like this.
  14. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    What does someone being from Germany have to do with what bass they should buy?

15. Heisenbass

Jan 19, 2014
    Berlin, Germany
    Yeah, but sometimes also a real b**ch. You shouldn't rely too much on it. QED

99Z3 likes this.
  16. NOt a thing.. it was just a thought that's all..

17. Heisenbass

Jan 19, 2014
    Berlin, Germany
    Guess, the assumption was, that Warwick, being a German brand should have a somewhat larger market share and thus pop up more frequently on the used market. This may be the case in fretted basses. Fretless market is pretty small, and most used fretlesses are pretty much low end. There's also a considerable amount of fancy boutique and single cut stuff (Marleaux and the like) in the market, which I do not really care for. The mid-price sector is actually pretty weak. I guess, that's because these are actually getting played.

18. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    Out of the given selection, a Sandberg Thinline!

19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I voted the Fender based on price.
    IME, unless you are a dedicated fretless player chances are
    the fretless won't get much use in the future and I lost money
    on them when I sold them.

20. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'