1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poll: Which is the best preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by addylewis, Mar 25, 2006.

Which is the best bass pre?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2006.
  1. Sansamp bass driver (or cheap behringer equivalent)

38.2%
  2. Aguilar 2-band

3.4%
  3. Aguilar 3-band

27.0%
  4. Sadowsky

31.5%
  1. Just wondering - I'm gonna get ONE (and only one...I'd go crazy trying to find **that sound** in the studio if I got them all...which I can't afford anyway...) ...just wondering which would be the best to get for both a modern OR vintage deep meaty sound...

if anyones tried them all...please explain which one works best for you and give a brief description of the sound you get from it...cheers dudes! :cool: :bassist:

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    MXR M-80? John East E-pro? Fodera outboard? EBS Microbass II? Purist Preamp?

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    ^ Ya, there are a lot more than 4...

EDIT: I can't even vote cus the closest to what I use is the Bass Driver. I use the Para Driver (by the same company) which is like the BD but has shiftable mids. The mid knob can be shifted to be like the prescence on the BD, but IMO they're 2 totally different animals!

4. ok...I've not put them all down - just those I've heard talk about on here

Yo Toasted - In Sheffield we get nothing but crap in our music shops (read: 2 sound controls, 1 fox's music, 1 independant shop...and thats IT for music...!) - you've probsbly got much better stuff available to ya in Mancs... - all we really get are boss/zoom/digitech whammy pedals and sound control usually only has a couple warwick/rickenbackers,a few MIM Fenders, some squiers and LOADS of £120 westfields...

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hey there. Manchester is much better, there's a regular sound control and a sound control "super store" within walking distance from my house - bonus!

In Sheffield you're really close to Shuker (http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/) who make some good basses.

The only place to go for the good stuff, addy, is The Bass Gallery in Camden.

6. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Didn't vote cuz' I'm not using any of them.

Or well, that's not entirely true, I've owned the Sadowsky Outboard preamp and found it too sterile for my likes. So I sold it and bought the Tube-Bass from GP-Lightstone. Will never change again ;)

http://www.gp-lightstone.de/tube-bass.htm

7. Gasp!

Gasp!

Apr 27, 2005
    Switzerland
    I have the Sadowsky outboard preamp. I like it. I bought it for my passive bass. Now I use it with my DB.
    If I had to make a choice now, I think I would try the Aguilar 3-band

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    The 3 band has some pretty versatile tones to be had.

9. I've had a sansamp rbi for about 18 months and heav been happy. I haven't played the others.

10. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    The Behringer bass DI is well worth the $30.00. Get It!

11. Bump-ety Bump

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    bottom line: the aguilar or sadowsky preamps will enhance the natural sound of the bass, it won't fundamentally change it.
    All are good preamps, but the Sansamp is the one that will give you most versatility.