Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: Which is the prettier bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Amber/Tulipwood/Burled Maple

76 vote(s)
    60.8%
  2. Natural/Avodoire/Flamed Redwood

49 vote(s)
    39.2%
  1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Since my new MTD hasn't actually shipped yet, I wanted to get the opinions of TB'ers.

I saw this other MTD bass on Bass Central's website. This bass also looks nice, but I a not sure which I like better, the amber one I chose with the burled maple top or this other beauty.

The body is avadore with a flamed redwood top.

[​IMG]

This bass is tulipwood with a burled maple top (the one I chose originally).

[​IMG]

Which do you guys like better?

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Just recently while i was checking out the BC website i came across the MTD's with the redwood tops. I think that they are incredible looking basses but i have never had the honour of playing one. But you asked which is the prettiest IMO the one with the Redwood top leaves the burled maple for dead. No comparison whatsoever.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Very difficult to choose, and very much down to personal preference. I like the redwood top, and also the "slimming" effect you get from the contrast with the lighter body wood. Almost like one bass painted on top of a bigger body. Cool. Perhaps the burled maple one is safer in that respect, but more conventional looking - if that word can be used for two so good looking instruments, that is.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    They both look nice; however, I like the one you originally chose better.

5. The red wood is a nice first glance bass, but once you get into REALLY looking at them, I would definately go for the maple, it's so much richer! just look at it!!! I want one!

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am really fond of Tulip wood in a bass. It produced a great sound. Plus, the burl maple looks sweet!:D

7. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    The maple burl is a great looking piece of wood. Nice color too. You're gonna love it.

8. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Your statement made me think of something that I should have thought of, but didn't. :)

For each piece of wood, the maple burl is a better representation of a killer maple burl. While the flamed redwood is "nice" it isn't "stunning" when comparing to other flamed redwoods (see http://www.basscentral.com/mtd.html) there is ANOTHER flamed redwood on there that is absolutely amazing, but there aren't really any specimens of burled maple that beat this one here...

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    They're both goregeous but I prefer the redwood top.

Tulipwood is another word for Poplar. Interesting that this supposedly "cheap" wood pops up once in a while on nice basses. The excellent Czech Grendels are Pooplar, lots of Music Mans are poplar, and now MTD using it? There's got to be something nice about the tone. :)

10. You my friend have quite a decision on your hands. You must be going insane. But don't worry, I am here to make it much easier... TULIP WOOD! That burled maple top is gorgeous.

11. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I like the redwood better, much classier.

12. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    That's silly.

Nothing "cheaper" about poplar aka tulipwood than Ash, Alder, etc.

Poplar was on Zon Legacy elite's (their most expensive bass) and on MTD's which are pricier still.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Pete, I've played 'em both...you can't make a bad choice.

:D

...just make a choice, please!!!!

;)

14. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Gard,

Still haven't changed my mind :)

But, can you describe tonally each one? I think I am looking for the woodier, complex tone if that makes sense, something more towards a Fender Jazz type tone, rather than a super hi-fi type tone (I have that with my Sonus Custom)...I am suspecting the tulipwood is that, since it is close to alder in tone...I play finger style more towards the bridge, so I am looking for a nice jaco tone as well. I play a lot of funk/fusion with my band, but we also cut loose into heavy rock stuff too. The Fender Jazz fits really nice into our music. I should add I do a lot of slapping and double th umping too. Advice? Thanks!

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Pete, tough to describe in words on the internet, but I'll do my best -

The redwood/avadore is more "polite" sounding to my ears, while the maple/tulipwood is a bit more "aggressive". Both are very full and warm if needed, but the maple topped one has more bite if you push it. I think that tonally, that's the one for you.

16. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Thanks! Gonna stick with it (don't worry not going to flake out on you ;) )

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I'm lookin' forward to seein' the FMT man...

:D

18. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Overnighting...should be there Wednesday...NIIIIIZE bass.

19. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Hey Gard, is the nut on the bass graphite or bone? Hard to tell from the photo...

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Neither - it's a Corian spacer. The bass has a zero fret.