1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Poll: which one to keep?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BOOG, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Peavey MAX112

7 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Ashdown RM 500 EVO w/2x Hartke HD210

32 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. Trace Elliot elf w/2x elf 2x8

30 vote(s)
    26.5%
  4. Ashdown CTM 100 w/410H

44 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thank you everyone for your input!
    I am trying to decide which one rig, if only one to keep? Opinions and thoughts and questions are welcome and encouraged.
    I am an up and comer slowly and patiently co-building a project with drummer friend to eventually include a guitar and keys. Genre will be cover rock/pop for the masses and some original progressive stuff. The venue targets are for occasional/convenient gigs at wineries, bars and parties.
    Of these choices, which would you hold on to? (note: TE elf has second vertical 2x8 not shown)
    57FD4A37-DBB8-4DA6-B666-2E671F2FBACB. 786EEAD5-92CF-4E8B-8008-E9CD42035253. 0B0C2C53-E8D3-4B15-9D40-3863DBCF9E66. 2DA35E2E-F00C-4A78-B7BD-71CC8FAAE0CE.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    JC Nelson likes this.
  2. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    :unsure:

3. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'd atleast keep the two 210 cabinets.

Two 210's stacked as a vertical 410 is hard to beat in a live band.
    (I giged a two 210, vertically stacked 410 rig using several different heads for 9-1/2 years with great results.)

What does the Ashdown tube head sound like through your two sealed, 210 Hartkes?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  4. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thank you for the reply!
    I am leaning that way too but, I’m second guessing that it might be overkill compared to an easy combo or the light weight TE. The tube head on top of the 410 with neodymium drivers sounds the fullest but, WEIGHT :(
    The RM500 is really a versatile head and sounds great. Really loud if needed and not too much for the cabs. The onboard compression, sub octave, and overdrive is a bunch of different sound on tap.

jeff7bass and Wicked G like this.
  5. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Whoops, I replied about the RM through the hartkes. I have yet to put the tube head through them.

6. Sorry @BOOG but there is nothing in the list that I would care to hang onto.

7. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    :thumbsup::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
    fair enough :)
    To each our own for our own.

8. I'd keep the Elf. Weighs next to nothing,plenty loud enough for your smaller gig.

For bigger gigs,the ELF and paired 2x8's will provide your stage volume just DI to FOH.

/\/\3phist0, lowplaces, cnltb and 3 others like this.
  9. Luckaz

Luckaz

Feb 10, 2019
    Peavey MAX112
    [​IMG]

10. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    That’s kinda what I’m thinking. Plus it sounds great and always easy to dial up.
    Thanks for the reassurance.

11. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thank you
    Is there any certain thing in your opinion that stands out about it to make it ideal for this situation?

12. Ashdown RM 500 EVO w/2x Hartke HD210
    or
    Trace Elliot elf w/2x elf 2x8
    I chose the Ashdown. You can always just bring one 2x10 for the smaller gigs. Better to have more power on tap.
    I have heard that the elf can struggle at "louder" volumes. I use a mini power amp, which is 300w at 8ohms into a 1x12 and it rocks for bars and parties. If you think the elf can cut it at 200w, then go for it.

EatS1stBassist and BOOG like this.
  13. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hartke with Ashdown RM definitely doesn’t struggle for volume, articulation or lows. Elf has the mobile advantage. Tough call but one that will eventually have to be made.
    Thank you for the constructive input :thumbsup:

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  14. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Such a damn hard decision :sour:

15. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I’m curious who voted the Ashdown tube w/410 and peavey combo and why? Originally, I thought most votes would be toward the tube amp but surprisingly, not the case. The few that did though, I wonder.

16. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I vote two 2x10 cabs. They are attached to the Ashdown, but my limited experience with Ashdown is positive. You get the modular approach, so easy to adapt to the situation.

BOOG likes this.
  17. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Keep the TE stack, sell the others, and get a second 208 cab. You'll be pretty set...

Artman, lowplaces and BOOG like this.
  18. saabfender

saabfender Banned SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I hate the way aluminum cone speakers sound. The rest is underwhelming to me. I'd shove it all out the door and start fresh.

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'd ask if there is anything as small and light as elf that is actually better.
    I am not sure there is at this point.

lowplaces likes this.
  20. Tommy V

Tommy V

Feb 19, 2019
    Spartanburg, SC.
    elf
    great sounding, and easily movable.

lowplaces and BOOG like this.