POLL: which side of the stage is your area?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bon viesta, Aug 1, 2021.

1. left stage (floor tom side)

88 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. right stage (hi hat side)

196 vote(s)
    63.8%
  3. center stage (like a total weirdo)

22 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. behind the drummer??? (i’ve seen it done)

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    i’d personally say i would likely gravitate towards the left of the stage, but there would be no reason to say whenever i get my first band that it may be a little different. i feel like left is always where the bassists are in any given band. the beatles, ten years after, taste, cream, black sabbath, deep purple, blind faith, and several hundred more bands that i don’t feel like having to name. but anyways you get my point.

2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    It's been a while, but as far as I can remember, I've always played hi-hat side...by mutual agreement with drummers, and space permitting, of course.
    We can watch each other better for cues that way.

ahc, Chris Y, HolmeBass and 11 others like this.
  3. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    i’ve definitely heard of that before, with in relation to the various benefits of being to the right onstage. also, drums look cooler on the right side anyways :drool:

4. If I am also singing lead, which is usually, on the left because can turn more easily to look at the band that way i.e. not have to back up or raise the bass neck over the mic stand.

fleabitten and Plectrum72 like this.
  5. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Right beside the banjo player. It's the only way to keep him under control.:help:
    B.

6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Good drummers signal rhythm and tempo changes with their hi-hat.

I don’t much care where I stand as long as I have a clear line of sight to the hi-hat. Which usually means upstage or stage left.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  7. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I am using on the right of the drums, but in the current band I am left to help the drummer hear the guitar on the right

8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I do left side mostly but I have been everywhere at times.
    In real life I'm a Sheldon, but on stage I'm suprisingly not.

Davbassdude, Basselink and bon viesta like this.
  9. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    When I played in a trio, my side was floor tom side for some reason. It was never discussed, just always happened. The other guy sang, so was considered the frontman and we always set up to give him the good spot, but I mostly ended up on that side.

With the bigger band, I'm second row, at the HiHat. Better communication with the drummer IMO. The reason for that is mainly because the lead guitar insists on the floor tom side and I play wherever they put me.

BlueTalon and JeezyMcNuggles like this.
  10. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Hi hat side. I like hearing the hat clearly but it's also good for me to have nobody else to my left because my headstock is a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands, and my hands are wrong.

I have one band now that puts me in the middle and another band that put me on the wrong side on Friday night but the stage was big so it was not a problem. If I have to worry about smacking the LS in the face all night I do not do my best work.

Normally I'm there in enough time to stake my territory out but I had to rescue another bandmate whose car wouldn't start so we were late getting there and the BL had run all the cables already.

David McIntire, mikewalker and Ggaa like this.
  11. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Always hi-hat side so I can lock in with the drummer.

Mastermold likes this.
  12. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The good side. ;)

DanDBassist likes this.
  13. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    Hi-Hat side if possible. Most of the drummers I have worked with make that Stage-Left (right side for the audience).
    There have a been a few gigs where I have found myself setup directly behind the drummer, directly behind the lead guitarist and about two feet below stage level, and entirely off stage in the wing looking at the drummer on stage. Life of a bass player. It's the path we have chosen.

HolmeBass, dcbluesbass and tbz like this.
  14. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Left/floor tom side. Easier as a singing bass player to see/cue/communicate with the rest of the band.

15. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Hi-hat side with a right handed drummer is stage left. That’s where you’ll find me.

Is the side I prefer to hear the drums from. Also, on smaller stages, it keeps my headstock away from the singer. Back in the long hair days, my singer got his hair wrapped in my tuners… lol.

tbz likes this.
  16. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    First off all your stage directions are backwards, unless your drummer plays lefty.
    Stage-Directions-1-e1602029396879.jpg
    I play stage right/house left so my upright faces the audience and i face across the stage to the rest of the band.

Way back when I played BG in a jam band and shared lead vocal duties with two guitarists, i took center-right stage, but slightly upstage from the other guys in either side of me, so we formed kind of a semicircle.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  17. I have played on both sides and I don't have a preference really. I don't need to look at the drummer, I can feel all that I need, at least on the size stages that we play. Might be different at MSG but I will worry about that when I get to it!

18. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Hi hat side out of habit, but location isn't critical if the drummer and I have a good rapport.

DanDBassist and Pdaddy1978 like this.
  19. Wherever I choose to be!!!! And the band better move to accommodate me and my rig of DOOM!!!!!

...but in reality, I just try to be where I can avoid the louder side of the drums, where I see best, or where I can view the pianist's left hand....or just where they will tolerate the bass player. I once played a whole concert from a basement bathroom stall. Never saw the audience once. Luckily someone snuck me down some complimentary fries.

20. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    Wherever I'm standing, or wherever I'm asked to be. You left out "All of the above" as an answer.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021