Poll: Who's played New Year's Eve in the last 5 years, and was it for more pay than a regular gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by soulstew, Oct 5, 2022.

Tags:
  1. No.

29.1%
  2. Yes, no, and no.

2.0%
  3. Yes, yes, and no.

5.2%
  4. Yes, no, and yes.

6.8%
  5. Yes, yes and yes.

57.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. soulstew

soulstew Supporting Member

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    Prompted by a recent thread about whether or not one should play a New Year's Eve gig for (shudder) standard pay, I'm curious whether all the no's, never's and hell no's and their accompanying tales of double, triple or even higher pay are based on actual recent experience or cherished memories from a more live-music friendly era.

Who has actually played a NYE gig in the last 5 years, was it well attended, and did it pay more than the usual weekend gig? Please fill out the poll and give the details in the thread.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    Bassaga likes this.
  2. soulstew

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    Dang! Should read, 3) Did it pay more THAN normal. You'll figure it out:)

mikewalker likes this.
  3. No
    No
    & No

Halloween was always our big gig night. Followed by July 4th, then New Year’s Eve.
    But that was ages ago.;)

HolmeBass and soulstew like this.
  4. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yes to all 3

soulstew likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

yes to all three! :bassist:

but regarding the other thread: i'd play for free* if the gig was 'righteously correct' for me = local, F&B provided, i'm playing my favorite music with great players, maybe some ride sharing, yada yada.

i'm old and i just like to play. :laugh:

* i believe musicians should always be paid for the service they provide --- "free" is just a measure of my commitment! :D

6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    '20/'21 and '21/'22 were the C0VID years.
    Before that, I was still trying to put together a project.
    I have nothing booked for 2022/23 yet but there's still time probably.

smogg and soulstew like this.
  7. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I wasn't gigging, but if I were, and only had one offer from someone whom I knew,

and I was convinced that he was offering all he could pay, I would certainly do it.

I wouldn't do a whole lot more than a normal effort, just play the traditional NYE numbers,

and I'm sure I'd have a blast. :bassist:

And I wouldn't ask TB if I should, I'd just post pics afterward. :cigar:

JRA, Rebel Rocker, BOOG and 2 others like this.
  8. It’s old wisdom. Used to be true when live music was a big deal. Nowadays there’s little reason to believe it applies. The old joke was that everyone who never got a gig could find one on NYE but that hasn’t been true for a long time. Someone will do the gig for regular pay.

soulstew likes this.
  9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    We played this past NYE and, since things were just starting to open up, our LS/BL agreed that we'd play for our regular fee but that we wouldn't do that again if conditions improved. We're booked there again this coming NYE and are getting 20% more.

We were hoping for at least a decent sized crowd this past NYE and were pleasantly surprised to have that many people there at midnight. It wasn't bad most of the night and some did leave later in the night. But we were surprised to see more people coming in closer to midnight so our last set had a pretty good crowd.

Killing Floor and soulstew like this.
  10. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Freudian Slip! :woot:

soulstew likes this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I've played 33 of the last 35 NYE. And they were ALL for WAY more than the average bar gig. Some were as good as a Saturday in June wedding. (Meaning more than $5K.)

12. soulstew

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    Judging by your avatar statement I'm guessing you're in the Iron Range?

DrThumpenstein and alembicguy like this.
  13. I seriously think some of this is going to depend on the band you're in and the kind of music you're playing.

An in-demand band that's well-known, even just well-known locally, is probably going to have sufficient pull to ask for a bigger fee. A band that isn't well-known is going to be more interchangeable with any other party band that's willing to do the show, and if the venue doesn't have budget, those are the bands they'll be looking at hiring.

Also I think some types of music will lend themselves better to certain kinds of events. A big dress-up gala is going to probably hire with some serious budget, but they might be looking for something a bit more refined than a classic-rock party band.

JRA and soulstew like this.
  14. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I voted no because 3 of the 4 of us in my band have kids under the age of 17, and we decided to not do NYE gigs for now until the kids are a little older (hopefully the band stays together!). We are doing just about every other holiday gigs though, including a huge one coming up for Halloween (which we will be paid more than a usual gig)

soulstew likes this.
  15. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Not in my market. Not for my band, anyway. In August, BL offered the date to a place we've always done well. While they were "thinking about it" another place said yes right away and made the money attractive. First come, first served, etc. Also: For the first time this year, we gave Halloween to the highest bidder. Don't get me wrong: We are small time with a capital S. But we've carved out a market for ourselves by doing simple stuff like posting videos of people having a good time at our shows.

16. eliascalles

eliascalles

Sep 12, 2013
    Mexico
    I play nye every year. It’s always considerably more than typical pay.

17. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Last time I played an NYE gig, the pay covered all of my expenses for the entire month of January: including rent.

JRA, lowfreqgeek, Holdsg and 4 others like this.
  18. Ye, I've been paid better than normal for NYE gigs but not 2x or more, maybe 20-30% over typical pay for a normal weekend.

soulstew likes this.
  19. Yes your band is well known so you’d have some pull.

soulstew and Bunk McNulty like this.
  20. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    LOL! It's only taken us seven years...

pcake, soulstew and LBS-bass like this.