Poll: Why'd you sell that bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by uglybassplayer, Aug 31, 2001.

1. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    What basses have you sold and why did you sell 'em? While you're at it, why'd you buy it in the first place?
  2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I'd rather not talk about it.:(
  3. SteveBob

Jul 5, 2001
    i will never sell my basses or guitars!
  4. Ok, heres the run down from someone who hasn't been playing long enough to have this much stuff :)

I bought a squire affinity Precision because I was new and didn't know better. I sold it because the person who I sold it to didn't know anybetter ;) I had refinished it in natural wood with tungoil, and tweaked some things.. I kinda wish I could get that one back.. sentimental value of course

I bought a Kramer Barretta because I didn't know any better, I sold it because I did know better, and I got almost full price back for it.. I love ebay :)

I bought a Fender Jazz Bass in sunburst because I know better :D and its not going anywhere, unless I ever need to make some quick $$ to buy a Rickenbacker :D lol but even then I think I'll keep her. She shore is purdy
  5. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I sold a yammer because it was the biggest POS i had played in my life. I bought it for about $100, and sold for $150. It was hard to play, sounded awful, and was falling apart.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm trying to unload a 4 string Fender P/J copy I got as part of a deal (it an a at-the-time big amp), so I got stuck with it. I never play it, and really never have any intent to, as it is a Fenderish bass, which, after playing it for a few weeks (the bass, along with a few other Fenders) I found out I do not like as such, I'm trying to get rid of it, but I swear it's like a bad penny, just can't get rid of it. It's gonna come down to roaches, Cher, Keith Richards, and this bass after the Big One :eek: :D
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wish I still had them all.

I'll just have to be happy with the ones that I have.
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    most of the basses i have sold were bought brand new and sold brand new as well, I bought them because I was able to get a great deal on them, then I turn around and sell them and make a pretty good profit.

The other ones i sold because, I wanted to do a gear upgrade and get a better bass.
  9. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I thought about doing that with my MIA P-bass, but i love it too much. I'm taking this bass to the grave.
  10. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Ditto. Buy, play, sell, upgrade, back to the beginning...
  11. yep...

1) buy bass
    2) play for a while until you seek something better
    3) sell bass
    4) back to step 1
  12. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    yeee yup yup yup~ same thign as me :)
  13. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I also have done some of the aforementioned upgrade stuff... also a bit of spreading evil musical influence. I have given away as much gear as I have sold to various people I know that I thought could use it. (Not to mention that I wanted to divert their thinking back to music)
  14. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Should have kept:

Carvin LB75--it would have been an excellent backup bass.

Yamaha TRB5F--should have kept it for my annual maybe-I'll-learn-to-play-fretless yearning

There are others, but these stick out.
  15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    the ones i bought to sell i didnt play but a couple of times, i bought them strictly to sell them.

I wish I didnt sell the Ibanez Sr406 though. Cos now Im contemplating purchasing a 6 string.
  16. "Boy that bass plays great...I think I'll buy it."

one week later

"Oh my, I think I like this bass even better, I think I'll buy it...oh no I don't have enough money. Guess I'll have to sell the one I bought last week!"

And it goes on and on and on and...get the picture??:p
  17. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    ummm... [​IMG] ?

Does that cover ones ya' crack in two in a fit of stoopid-@$$ rage?
    Ditto :(:mad:
  18. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    In bass selling to get another bass, I sense that a maximum $200 loss is acceptable to facilitate the acquisition of another bass. Beyond that, unless your funds are unlimited, it becomes questionable whether the left side of the brain remains connected.
  19. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Thank you Gabu!
    I also have given away more instruments than I've sold.

I gave a band members kid a cello once because he was so fascinated with watching me play the upright. I lost track of the kid for several years before running across him at a festival.

He was playing URB by then and was playing the crap out of it.

I received more pleasure in thinking that I had something to do with his success than I ever have by selling an instrument.

Music has been my life for a lot of years and it always feels good to give something back.

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Why did i sell that bass? cuz it sucked, thats why, 70 doller kramer focus. sold for 30.