1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poll: would you buy a demo bass from a music store?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stagelab, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Stagelab

Stagelab

Dec 26, 2015
    I can get a $1000 JMJ mustang road worn bass for $750 all in including tax and shipping from a music store but it’s a demo version and there’s no returns. Would you do it if you couldn’t play it first? The shop says it’s basically new minus the obvious wear being a relic.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Go play it. Oh wait. No, stay "homin," lol.

Offer less, and if they bite, take it.

Matt R, Timmy Liam, andruca and 2 others like this.
  3. sardocs

sardocs

Mar 31, 2013
    pender harbour bc
    Aren't all basses and guitars in music stores demo versions?

4. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    No return no way.

5. Ekajimmy

Ekajimmy

Nov 2, 2019
    +1
    [​IMG]

6. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

I voted yes but no returns sounds like BS to me. The store is still selling ‘as new’ with all manufacturers warranty. It’s not like it’s a pre-owned instrument.

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Yes, but not from GC.

8. Stagelab

Stagelab

Dec 26, 2015
    i already talked them down to this price. They wanted $900. They won’t go lower than what I negotiated and they won’t offer a return window. The store is many states away.

9. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    Without being able to return it, no.

Ikkir, Marlon Carbone, rd2rk and 17 others like this.
  10. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    What do you mean there is no returns? Unless the online shopping policy in US differs from European Union one drastically, you have the elementary right of returning an article you purchased online with no explanation in 14 days since purchase. Personal web store TOS are overruled by this law.

If you are buying it personally... well, you have the option of checking it for as long as you want right?

11. Stagelab

Stagelab

Dec 26, 2015
    i don’t think that’s true. Can you send me a link? Clothes are on sale with no returns allowed all the time. This is a legit brick and mortar store selling their basses on reverb. Final sale.

Rabidhamster and JohnJenkins like this.
  12. I’ve done it before. My main thing is if a bass has been played by god knows how many people I expect a discount. In other words I’ll buy them I just won’t pay full price for them. If you’re getting a good deal being able to return it or not isn’t as big of an issue because you can sell the bass to recoup most or sometimes all of your money

Lucky Chuck likes this.
  13. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    As I said, I live in EU, Slovenia and EU law dictates all items purchased online must follow the 14 day no explanation return. I just thought you guys have it the same in US.

Ikkir, dkelley, TrustRod and 3 others like this.
  14. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I was ready to say yes until I saw the no returns line. No way.

15. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    It's simply a wager.....the same kind you make everyday when you cross a street. You might make it fine, or you might eat a Buick.
    You're betting $750 on a poker hand. You might win, you might lose, but you've already decided that the thrill of the unknown is worth the wager.
    Can you afford to torch $750?
    If not....hard pass.
    Pay $900 for one you can try and you'll get a useful tool at a fair price.
    Pay $750 on a promise from a stranger, and you could wind up with neither.
    Just my two cents. Good luck!

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I wouldn't buy ANY bass without a return or the chance to try it first.

17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    No returns, no gonna buy.

18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    No returns is complete BS - it's a new bass, aside from some shop wear, unless they munged it up somehow - which is why you need to be able to return it if it isn't right.

I suggest two possible courses of action:

1) Walk away
    2) Run away

You pick.

19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Same here. They could send you a trashed piece of junk and you'd have no recourse.

20. My thoughts, exactly.

Marlon Carbone and Vinny_G like this.